Realignment: Basketball Impacts

4,867 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by monarch
Topher17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, but from a hoops perspective I think getting the Sips and OU on the schedule every year will be a lot of fun and could be a good jolt for our program. I know Texas is likely to be an elite program with Beard, but I've always said our basketball program has missed the old rivalries more than maybe any other sport since our move. What're everyone's thoughts?

Second, how demoralizing for Baylor to win a title and likely end up with no home at all. It will be very interesting to see where they end up and if they can maintain the program at a similar level. Also interested to see where the history of KU ends up, considering all of this hinges on football.
greg.w.h
AG
I think Baylor can effectively stifle their anti-Pope feelings if they could hire a Church of Christ President (Ken Starr). So they could drop football and join the Big East.

Not sure what becomes of the Toilet Bowl on the Brazos.

I did think adding Texas and OU is a basketball upgrade. But basketball definitely takes the back seat in the SEC in spite of massive spend aimed at fixing that.

Plus who knows how NIL truly impacts college basketball. Impossibly to tease out.
Hop
Staff
AG
Kansas is talking to the Big Ten.
DukeMu
Hop said:

Yeah, but the Big Ten wants Oklahoma, Texas, and Notre Dame instead.
Expert Analysis
AG
I'd say the additions are positive for every sport besides football. The SEC in TX recruiting advantage we had in football would be gone and tu/OU would gain an advantage in that area. That recruiting advantage isn't really a factor in basketball. Big 12 blowing up because of tu may also allow us to play some of our old foes more regularly.
Proposition Joe
Positive additions, but additions that should have been made in non-conference play the last decade instead.
Topher17
AG
I know KU is supposedly talking to the BIG10, but that would make three straight additions to the BIG10 that add absolutely nothing for football. It gets a few more households for their network, but that isn't what is driving this round apparently. I think it'll happen due to lack of other good options for the BIG10 outside of ND. Sure would make them an even saltier basketball league.
greg.w.h
AG
Big Ten should take four schools: Texas, Oklahoma, ND, and Kansas.
Hop
Staff
AG
DukeMu said:

Hop said:

But we know that isn't happeningat least with Texas and OU. And ND has one foot in the door with the ACC.
BQ_90
AG
Most likely will get sec tournament to Dallas or in the rotation
12thMan9
AG
But no financial reason to join for football. They're fine on their own.

But at some point they may be forced to go somewhere. And I think the Big Can't Count would take them for all their existing rivalries, geographic fit, prestige, etc.

ND playing w/the ACC never made sense, but it was an option that was there for them.
Ronnie '88
_lefraud_
AG
I know the West/East will be no longer in Football (I like the pod system).

But for all other sports, including basketball, I hope they keep the "west division" for scheduling purposes, but of course they won't.

A&M
Arkansas
Lsu
MissSt
Mizz
Ole Miss
Ou
Texas

So for MBB/WBB...14 game league schedule...maybe you add a couple of games from the "east" to get to 16 or 18. Yea we would miss out on getting UK every year...but it would at least make most of league play more interesting (for Aggies).
mic suede
12thMan9 said:

But at some point they may be forced to go somewhere. And I think the Big Can't Count would take them for all their existing rivalries, geographic fit, prestige, etc.

ND playing w/the ACC never made sense, but it was an option that was there for them.

Seems unlikely they'll be "forced to go somewhere" but if that ever happens they'll have a seat in ANY conference in America. They won't be playing musical chairs like Kansas State and Baylor and Iowa St are about to be playing.
Hop
Staff
AG
12thMan9 said:

When these super conference form, I think the money will be greater than what Notre Dame can get as an independent because these super conferences will go to 9 conference games and it will be a brutal schedule. Independents are going to have a harder time scheduling quality power 5 teams that an NBC would require to continue an exclusive one school deal.
old yeller
AG
DukeMu said:

Hop said:

People in hell want ice water but they ain't getting it
mic suede
B1G has made it pretty clear they don't want OU.
Iowaggie
AG
Kansas is a better option than Maryland and Rutgers were.
The potential problem is finding that 2nd AAU university. ISU could be it, but that is a tougher sell. It'd be interesting if it was Pitt as that would trigger a little more disruption.
Topher17
AG
Shall we revisit this....

Would love if CFB broke off completely and ultimately had no impact on college hoops, but not sure how that would happen. I would love for realignment to result in regionally focused conferences for basketball only.
bobinator
AG
Why basketball only? Why not just all sports but football?
Topher17
AG
That is more or less what I would mean. Ultimately I'm not sure how long some of the non-rev sports hang on in the new era if the football players are made employees.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I don't know how all this ends either, but it can't be good for the bottom lines of most of these sports to be flying all over the country.
greg.w.h
AG
Two possible outcomes:

1. The football enterprise gets its own federation and in essence it is by invitation primarily from the B1G and SEC.

2. NIL deflates available money flow from football and a lot of athletics get terminated like we saw almost happen during 2020-2021 during Covid lockdowns.

The first generates much more cash for Title IX to distribute at least the top programs, but limiting expenses makes it go further. So both scenarios predict cutting of expenses and for Olympic sports likely local conferences. The B1G and SEC likely will have enough to pay for travel,..
DukeMu

As expected re: ND

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/big-ten/shatel-this-new-big-ten-is-a-predator-with-its-eyes-on-notre-dame/article_f53040f4-f9ad-11ec-9cbf-63f2e7249495.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

SEC and Big Ten will be the monsters in football and B12 and ACC will be able to retain their basketball core...for now.

TBH, OK and t.u. to the SEC was a surprise, but ironically it will bring an end to the Pac-12 rather than the Big 12...short term.

monarch
S
Duke and Mizzou…
Peace for Ukraine!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.