Will we be any good?

10,394 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Okay everyone, it's July 14th and the question is simple, are we going to be any good next year? Why/why not/etc?
greg.w.h
AG
Presuming the analysis that Buzz's approach depends on the bootcamp and the early fall activities leading into exhibition and ooc games, I think we should be better. But we really are a different team for the third Buzz year in a row. My view is we saw enough pure regression last year to be concerned from some of the players that had been around the longest. We don't have a reasonable explanation for that. So hard to guess in my opinion. But I expect better. Maybe a late season run again.
MarcAg
AG
What defines "any good"?
wacarnolds
AG
Gooder, but not good enough
bobinator
AG
Up to you! That's the beauty of it.
Pumpkinhead
AG
No clue. Basketball is sometimes so easily influenced by just 1 or 2 guys really outperforming or underperforming expectations. So I could see us being anywhere from say 5th to 13th. I like this teams guards and wings on paper, don't like the bigs.
bobinator
AG
Pumpkin, what does your heart tell you. Obviously we have no real clue, that's why I thought this might be fun.

Does the force tell you we're going to be decent? Suck? Maybe surprisingly good?
bobinator
AG
For some reason right now I think we're going to be okay next season. Not good, and I think we're going to be pretty volatile, but I bet overall we're decent. For me decent is we'll finish between like 50-80ish in KenPom maybe.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

For some reason right now I think we're going to be okay next season. Not good, and I think we're going to be pretty volatile, but I bet overall we're decent. For me decent is we'll finish between like 50-80ish in KenPom maybe.
I'd guess NIT quality team. Definitely better than last season, but still not quite there. Maybe like his First Season bunch, but (hopefully) not as horrific a start?

The above guess is assuming Buzz gets his normal off-season practice schedule and routines to do what he's used to doing (i.e., a season that is not heavily disrupted by COVID-19 related stuff).
pec25
AG
This off-season Buzz has increased the level of talent on the roster which hopefully will make us more competitive than last year. Ceiling is probably bubble tournament team.
MarcAg
AG
Maybe. Possibly
ryange05
AG
Going to be interesting. We will be much better than last year, team needs to gel with so many new faces. Will be curious to see who gets a majority of minutes since we are backcourt heavy. I imagine we will see some more attrition from the guards and wings.
Proposition Joe
NIT team

Most interested to see how we come out of the gates. If we're going to play the usual cupcake non-conference schedule, then we need to handle the cupcakes.
bobinator
AG
It would be nice to not just get plowed in Maui. We need to be better than Butler and it would be nice to at least be on par with Notre Dame.

Also not getting embarrassed by TCU would go a long way. I'm actually semi-surprised that game is still on the books given what's gone on between the two programs this offseason.
Rocinante
Nobody has a clue. Way too many variables.
bg92
AG
a little better than .500 in preconference and a little below .500 in conference. Finish about .500.

TyperWoods
Not really.

About a .500 record. Perhaps we can make a late season run like year 1 of Buzz.

NIT team at best.
MarcAg
AG
I think there will be hope for the future this year. Last year I don't think there was anything to get excited about and hopeful about for the future. There was Eman but he is gone. I think this year we will see some young guys and say ok I think things are getting better and give you hope for the group down the road. But that isn't going to make a lot of people happy in year 3.
bobinator
AG
That's where I'm at for this year right now.
bg92
AG
Roster just doesn't have known difference makers. Maybe a freshman surprises. Maybe Williams can duplicate his first year in a tougher league.

But today, hard to see us stacking up against other SEC rosters. Big year to see if Buzz can adapt and fast track his culture in a new age of roster turnover. Hopefully we see hard playing competitive effort.
Proposition Joe
I think thats pretty much where we are at but unfortunately with the new transfer rules we could ultimately be saying that this time next year again.

What we really need is to come out prepared and improving as the season goes on. We need to give the current roster reason to stay, and give potential transfers next year the reason to think we're a likely tournament team.
Ag_EE_88
AG
This is the least excitement about the team that I've seen during the summer in a long time. I don't know if it's because this last season was one of the worst in a long time too or what. It should tell you something, when the most optimistic aren't even predicting that we should be on the bubble or something along those lines.

I think if we can get some surprisingly good play from our frontcourt, we have the opportunity to be a bubble team....
Proposition Joe
NCAA Bubble-wise... Our roster isn't going to be so far behind the other teams that is a complete prayer to be playing into a bubble team come the end of conference if a lot of things fall our way production-wise.

But we aren't going to have a roster that is going to reel off a 11+ win conference record... So we absolutely, positively, without a doubt cannot have those non-conference RPI killers early.
Method Man
Depends on who the big name is liucci promised.
Tavares19
AG
Will be improved from last year. Hard to not be. Likely will be fighting for NIT spot, which is still bottom half of conference
DukeMu

We'll be able to PRACTICE. The team will be fine. The portal provided some talent and I hate to say addition by subtraction.

Wish we had Miller back. IIWII Next men up.

I expect the SEC to be weaker overall. We're going to be better than 10th in the league.
MarcAg
AG
DukeMu said:

I expect the SEC to be weaker overall.

I completely disagree on SEC. I think it's loaded this coming season. So many good coaches who are recruiting at a high level and they killed it in the portal. You might not have a Top 3 team like we have seen in past years with Kentucky but that top half is absolutely loaded with Arkansas, Alabama, Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, and Miss St. LSU I will probably be up there too.

I think SEC might be best conference next year.
bobinator
AG
Yeah the SEC is going to be really deep with good teams. Maybe a little like the Big 12 a few years ago where we don't have a top 5 team but we have like seven in the KenPom top 30.
bobinator
AG
Proposition Joe said:

So we absolutely, positively, without a doubt cannot have those non-conference RPI killers early.
Yeah our schedule is going to be pretty bad. If we have any hope at the tournament at all we probably have to beat TCU, pull off an upset of someone in Maui, and then win every other non-conference game even to just give ourselves a chance.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Method Man said:

Depends on who the big name is liucci promised.
This joke won't get old for awhile.
GrayMatter
AG
You'd like to hope that we're better than Year 1 and Year 2, but the transfer situation has thrown a monkey wrench into every program's plans. Buzz is a better coach than he shown thus far so this is essentially the year that will foretell our basketball program for the near future. We need to have a good enough year that we can attract better talent, that's for sure.
Expert Analysis
AG
I haven't seen most of the guys on the roster play a game before. I've only ever seen 4 of them play together.
I would be surprised if we are above 500 in conference, or finish in the top half. While some of the transfers are nice, none of them seem like standout players. Maybe a new home and new coaches will be what they need to turn into stars. I like wade and manny but not sure they will see significant minutes as freshman. We should have an athletic frontcourt, hope they can play hard and rebound. Not sure how much success the bigs will have offensively.
I'm more concerned with getting better as they year progresses and the players buying into the plan and seeing the improvement and future potential.
DukeMu
KY and Arky are the only rankable SEC teams next year.

There are coaches at TN, Auburn, Miss State, SC, Ole Miss, Georgia are past their peak and on the downside of their career. White is overrated at Florida LSU could finally get slammed by an NCAA desperate for relevance. Jerry Stackhouse at Vandy? lol

Oats and Musselman are rising, but Calipari's ecruiting isn't conquering the landscape, and he's a marginal game coach. Cuonzo is a marginal game coach as well, even if a good recruiter and development guy.

I think we'll shock the nation and SEC with a 5th possibly 4th place finish.

Tavares19
AG
DukeMu said:

There are coaches at TN, Auburn, Miss State, SC, Ole Miss, Georgia are past their peak and on the downside of their career. White is overrated at Florida LSU could finally get slammed by an NCAA desperate for relevance. Jerry Stackhouse at Vandy? lol

Oats and Musselman are rising, but Calipari's ecruiting isn't conquering the landscape, and he's a marginal game coach. Cuonzo is a marginal game coach as well, even if a good recruiter and development guy.

I think we'll shock the nation and SEC with a 5th possibly 4th place finish.

I would put so much money on a bet saying we don't finish top 5. Unless Billy's mystery recruit is an All-American there is not a chance in hell
MarcAg
AG
DukeMu said:

Alabama, Tennessee and Auburn will be ranked top 25 next year to start the season. No doubt. Florida might be later in the season. Miss St could be. LSU could be.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.