Will Arrest of Caruso =free agent now - Help or Hurt in Negotiations?

5,706 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DukeMu
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was at $2,750,000 with Lakers - projected to make $9,000,000 as a free agent !

Will a new team now pay as much?

Would Lakers resign him and at what pay ?

Will he have to be tested regularly - will he be able to play in states tough on weed?

Fire away !
MarcAg
AG
No impact
AggieOO
the nba doesn't care about weed.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Only an out of touch old dude would ask this question. The impact will be less than zero.
AgsGiveUsRoom
AG
I predict he will get all the money with a new weed grinder to replace the old one to seal the deal.
PatAg
AG
Solve for X
John Francis Donaghy
I think Mavs, Spurs, and Rockets fans can safely cross him off the wishlist because I doubt he has any interest in living in Texas anymore. But hey, Barney Fife from Campus PD got to use his nifty handcuffs arresting and mugshotting a guy for having an almost imperceptible amount of something that's perfectly legal in most of the country.
John Francis Donaghy
Other than that, zero impact on career prospects whatsoever. He'll get a big contract and continue to play great ball.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Which teams will be interested ?

How much?

Anybody else on Lakers been arrested for weed or other drugs ?
mikesyracuse1
Best guess is he'll return to the Lakers on a 8-12 million dollar contract. Not bad for the guy who's exceeded expectations at every level.

This won't impact his contract at all.

Mikesyracuse1
TxAg76
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Best guess is he'll return to the Lakers on a 8-12 million dollar contract. Not bad for the guy who's exceeded expectations at every level.

Mikesyracuse1

Only if 'Bron still wants him to be a Laker, will he be a Laker
DukeMu
F Texas' idiot weed laws.

Freedom!

#FreeCaruso
DukeMu
The 874th reason never to fly out of Easterwood.
mikesyracuse1
TxAg76 said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

Mikesyracuse1

Only if 'Bron still wants him to be a Laker, will he be a Laker

That goes without saying!

Mikesyracuse1
aggiebones
AG
Ah, he tried to board a plane with weed and a device.
Come on, for once, local boobs had nothing to do with it.
Dumb by Alex but I did stupid shot in my life too.
He'll be fine.
Artimus Gordon
NBA player found with drugs and/or drug paraphernalia? I thought that was pretty much a given in this day and age! Finding one that doesn't would be akin to finding a needle in a haystack. Not sure why this is such big news?
ironmanag
AG
DukeMu said:

The 874th reason never to fly out of Easterwood.

You mean any airport.

It's called common sense which it seems few here seem to have.
_lefraud_
AG
Why do you ask OP? Do you (and others) want it to have an impact? Are you rooting for him to make less money as some sort of additional consequence?

So strange.
PatAg
AG
aggiebones said:

Ah, he tried to board a plane with weed and a device.
Come on, for once, local boobs had nothing to do with it.
Dumb by Alex but I did stupid shot in my life too.
He'll be fine.

From what I read he didn't actually have any weed on him
It was basically the same as pencil shavings in a handheld sharpener
94chem
Got a pretty bad nosebleed last time I tried to snort pencil shavings.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Maybe I was supposed to inject them.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
greg.w.h
AG
These threads actually are pretty entertaining. It really doesn't matter what the law is as long as it was legally passed and federal law still takes priority. Why the TSA tests for this is unknown since their primary task is security. But hey, we know that wearing a uniform can affect how a person thinks.
phatty26
Its the NBA i don't watch it or care since the league caters to the Chinese and idiot stars. Caruso is a dumbass for carrying a weed grinder on a plane, he isn't going to smoke on the plane that is just stupid. Maybe he forgot or he's a cheap ass who couldn't spend a few bucks to get a new one in texas.
CapCityAg89
AG
Yea. Alex was kind of a dumbass for this. BUT he's about to be a rich f-ing dumbass.
monarch
S
Here's what I think about this

Alex knows he F'd up, regardless of quantity, etc. Probably embarrassed his mom and dad to a certain degree. Isn't there a basketball facility in College Station named after him? Why not spend some time with CSPD Drug control unit at this facility and with as many kids as will show with the kids listening to Alex say he's sorry, he disappointed a lot of people, etc. Get a bunch of pictures that he can sign for the kids and get on with life. Cleans his image up a little, saves some face, does some community work before a judge says he should do all this. Then, get your ass out of dodge for awhile and lay low. Maybe go to Europe with his main squeeze for 12-15 days, etc
Peace for Ukraine!
monarch
S
All about image folks, all about image
Peace for Ukraine!
John Francis Donaghy
His image is 100% untarnished to everyone in this country under 55. And most people over 55.

Thinking he needs to do all this to "repair his image" for having a trace amount of a substance that 37 of our 50 states have legalized, is absurd. Texas is a dinosaur at this point and it will be legal here too soon enough.

Only the gaspiest of pearl-clutchers would have cared about someone being arrested for a few drops of booze leftover in the bottom of an otherwise empty hip-flask in the final days of the prohibition era. That's pretty much where we are with marijuana. The arrest was absurd, and served no purpose or service to the community whatsoever. But we will all note that your pearls were thoroughly clutched.
monarch
S
Bottom line is he got caught doing something that's against the law, like it or not. I don't give a s**t who busted him under what circumstances he broke the law. "Geeze mom, if Alex can do it why you can't I?" How would you answer that question if your kid asked?
Peace for Ukraine!
John Francis Donaghy
Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.
PatAg
AG
monarch said:

Bottom line is he got caught doing something that's against the law, like it or not. I don't give a s**t who busted him under what circumstances he broke the law. "Geeze mom, if Alex can do it why you can't I?" How would you answer that question if your kid asked?
He got in trouble for it, so that seems like a pretty easy question to answer.
Aston04
AG
For a typical player, this would barely matter.

Unfortunately, for Caruso this is in complete contrast to his brand right before signing the biggest deal of his life.

He still will see a great payday. Just loses a little leverage.
JPAggie2010
AG
Maybe, maybe not. I always thought his brand was being an "average-looking Joe" that can also ball out. The average Joe probably doesn't care about weed or partakes recreationally. I don't think he damaged his brand. Unless you think the brand is a more, "innocent-looking guy" that can also dominate with the best. Then I can see that since he is no longer so innocent. But I think it's more of the former.
PatAg
AG
Aston04 said:

For a typical player, this would barely matter.

Unfortunately, for Caruso this is in complete contrast to his brand right before signing the biggest deal of his life.

He still will see a great payday. Just loses a little leverage.
This isn't the NFL, nba execs don't give a damn if players smoke
Would ja 91
AG
I'm not sure this arrest was even legal? TSA agents aren't peace officers....this paraphernalia and small amount of marijuana should have been taken by the cop and a warrant sought. Cops can't arrest for misdemeanors which occurred outside of their presence with the exception of domestic violence, theft and breaches of the peace. Misdemeanor possession of marijuana sure doesn't fall under that umbrella. I think the cop made an illegal arrest and this will be dismissed very soon and thus will become old news very soon. Best case was a ticket and move on unless a warrant was obtained. "Just my two cents" This won't have any affect on Alex other than make a bit more careful in the future.
Aston04
AG
JPAggie2010 said:

Maybe, maybe not. I always thought his brand was being an "average-looking Joe" that can also ball out. The average Joe probably doesn't care about weed or partakes recreationally. I don't think he damaged his brand. Unless you think the brand is a more, "innocent-looking guy" that can also dominate with the best. Then I can see that since he is no longer so innocent. But I think it's more of the former.
The Caruso brand is basically the stereotypical white player people joke about..But he really is that guy (except he can jump through the roof). Coach on the field, very analytical on positioning, higher energy/lunch pail, and no bs drama off court. This isn't with that brand (last one). Just my opinion. I guarantee his agent wasn't high fiving people when he heard about (nor was he crying either though)..Caruso is still is going to get paid...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.