Some rules changes

2,865 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DukeMu
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There was some talk of wild rules ideas a while back looks like the rules committee is officially proposing a few. Still have to be approved by the oversight panel.

Official NCAA Release

Biggest thing is the technical for flopping and the timeouts change. Really like the timeouts change.

Also interested in the experiment with the fouls in the NIT.
Topher17
AG
The tech for flopping give the officials a lot of power for something very subjective, no? Not sure I love that.

Really like the timeout change. Can't stand when there is a timeout at 12:36 and then another break at 11:56. Makes the game way too choppy and this should help a lot.
bobinator
AG
I think it's going to have to be really obvious, but at least it's an option. What's unclear to me is if they can use replay to look at it.
Method Man
Didn't Jay Jay get called for some already?
Topher17
AG
Will the use of replay make the rule worse and the game take longer? If the answer is yes, they'll probably use replay for it.
Method Man
I'm glad they passed the rule that fans can shoot a drug laced dart into Pat Adams' neck if they deem it necessary.
bobinator
AG
I believe that also becomes the next media timeout but that's not explicitly stated
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
Does this mean we will have less of those momentum and game flow killing media timeouts?
bobinator
AG
Yes, theoretically. Not sure what this does to commercial inventory for ESPN.
greg.w.h
AG
AggieHoopsGuy said:

Does this mean we will have less of those momentum and game flow killing media timeouts?
No. it means they will use the first coach or media time out in each segment as media timeout and have a potentially just as long time out. But it means coach timeouts will alter the timing of each four minute game clock segment if called without requiring a second stoppage at first gameplay break after the segment mark.

It sounds good to me and you did believe those would become the stand-around-twiddling-our-thumbs-until-the media-official-I-means ESPN-says we-can-play-again time outs didn'ja??
NyAggie
AG
I love the timeout rule

Under the current rule, a coach can all a timeout at 16:01 and then play resumes and a foul occurs at 15:58 and there's another timeout

That sucks
Under the new rule, the timeout at16:01 would be the only timeout while the foul at 15:58 will not result in a timeout
bobinator
AG
There was supposed to be a rule to stop that from happening this last time around but I've been trying to figure out for like two seasons when it does and doesn't go into effect.
TopoTacos
AG
The timeout rule makes so much sense that I'm shocked the NCAA even proposed it.

I'm good with the flopping rule so long as it's only clear and obvious flops, need to err on the side of caution.
greg.w.h
AG
I think the tech foul for a flop with zero contact is reasonable. Especially without the personal foul since there was no contact. Going to video to confirm no contact should allow converting to either a personal foul or no call in the case of incidental contact followed by a loss of balance. But regardless the call ought to be rare. Just how I process the concept.
mazag08
AG
So what happens when a coach calls a timeout at 18:00m mark, then the other coach calls one at 17:00m and then nobody calls a timeout until after the 8:00m mark. Does the normal 12:00m media timeout also get overtaken and we potentially have 9 straight minutes of basketball?

I don't get why we have to come up with stupid rules to support a broken system.

4 quarters
10 minutes each
Media timeout at the 5 min mark
Coaches each get 3 per half and one has to be used in the 1st or 3rd or your lose it.
bobinator
AG
Quote:

With a goal of having fewer stoppages in the game, the committee proposed that any timeout called by a team be designated as the media timeout provided that the media timeout has not already been used in that segment.

Men's college basketball games generally have media timeouts after play is whistled dead for the first time under the 16-, 12-, eight- and four-minute marks of each half.

Under this proposal, if a coach calls a timeout at the 18-minute mark, it will serve as the under-16-minute media timeout. If either team calls a timeout under the 16-minute mark, it will serve as the under-12-minute media timeout. Under this scenario, the next media timeout wouldn't occur until the under-eight-minute mark.

So if a timeout is called at 18 and then 17, the second one does not also become a media timeout because it's in the same 'segment.' So there would still be an under 12 media timeout.

Agree that the problem has a ready made solution by just going to quarters like everyone else does, but this is at least an improvement.
Hop
Staff
AG
I didn't see any discussion on the ludicrous six foul/four fouls in one half nonsense.

So a rule proposed a scenario where a player is disqualified with only four fouls, and other scenarios where he gets six fouls. Complete idiocracy.

greg.w.h
AG
I rolled my eyes.
bobinator
AG
That one is an experimental rule for the NIT, but I doubt it gains much traction.

It's, to me, fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

But, if you think players getting two fouls early and having to sit is a problem, and you want to move to a per-half foul structure, why not just go all the way instead of this half-way thing. If you get three fouls in a half you're out for the rest of that half and it resets at halftime.

Again, I don't see the need for that, but it seems a lot less complicated.
greg.w.h
AG
Bad reffing is not a huge issue, but that creates both a buffer against it and a HUGE moral hazard that could lead to a much worse game. Two fouls WILL cool off a team that is waiting to be called to stop marginal behavior under the current system. Good luck reffing it under the experimental rules if you hand out multiple fouls in the first half and don't get it under control.
AgEfan
Alll basketball needs to make the rule where the ball is fair game once its hit the rim even if in the cylinder. Too hard to gauge if the ball was in there. So just let it be fair game like international basketball. Will make the game more exciting with followup dunks too.
bobinator
AG
No go on the flopping change or the timeouts change.
DukeMu
bobinator said:

No go on the flopping change or the timeouts change.
CBS and ESPN won't be happy about losing TOs.

Agreed overall.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.