General Theme of Incoming Transfers

4,470 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wacarnolds
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
As a whole, it seems Buzz and the staff targeted productive players with advanced skill sets over pure athleticism and potential.

I don't think these guys will be yanking down monster Nebo slams with a crazy vertical, or a cat quick point ballhandler who is unguardable and can break ankles. Just a bunch of good ball players who are skilled and have a good head for the game...and versatile of course but that's a given under Buzz.

I possibly see this team doing really well against middle of the road and worse teams. Winning the games they should on paper. I could see them challenged to compete against the top 3-4 teams in the SEC who are highly athletic...yeah, not groundbreaking analysis.
bobinator
AG
Size can offset athleticism some, and we have some potential to roll out some lineups that are real tall.

Will be interesting to see what we do defensively.
phorizt
Seems like it is 50-50 to me with a mix of both.

Cash, Williams, Hall appear to be skilled all around players but not elite athletes. I do love the skillset of all of these guys.
JBF, Henderson and Coleman haven't shown any level of skill at this point really.

One thing we've done is add more length on the perimeter. We're looking more like Arkansas now.
AggieEyes
AG
Get to the NCAAs. That's the bottom line.
Ag_EE_88
AG
AggieEyes said:

Get to the NCAAs. That's the bottom line.

And get there consistently with deep runs occasionally....
Pumpkinhead
AG
I consider Brown and Henderson much more 'raw athlete' than 'highly skilled'. Brown has Deandre Jordan-ish dimensions (7-footer, 7'5" wingspan). He didn't seem as bouncy as 18-year old DJ from tape, but that is still monster dimensions.

And Henderson is super long and bouncy, seems to be a natural shot blocker. Neither he or Brown seem destined to dazzle us with post moves but I would think we would be fine athletically against most teams.

And Coleman doesn't appear to be 'highly skilled' either. Just super strong and plays at 200 rpm.

wouldn't you consider Quenton Jackson a superior athlete at college level and also somebody like Obaseki is pretty dang bouncy is he not? Q can highlight dunk on a break with the best of them.
bobinator
AG
Brown is just big, from what I've seen on tape he doesn't look all that athletic, but he could still be growing into his size, who knows.
rlb28
AG
Would love for Buzz to sit down and take us thru the portal era and timelines of all this craziness. He obviously won't t talk about former players but it would be interesting
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

I consider Brown and Henderson much more 'raw athlete' than 'highly skilled'. Brown has Deandre Jordan-ish dimensions (7-footer, 7'5" wingspan). He didn't seem as bouncy as 18-year old DJ from tape, but that is still monster dimensions.

And Henderson is super long and bouncy, seems to be a natural shot blocker. Neither he or Brown seem destined to dazzle us with post moves but I would think we would be fine athletically against most teams.

And Coleman doesn't appear to be 'highly skilled' either. Just super strong and plays at 200 rpm.

wouldn't you consider Quenton Jackson a superior athlete at college level and also somebody like Obaseki is pretty dang bouncy is he not? Q can highlight dunk on a break with the best of them.

I was referring to who the staff signed out of the portal. Yeah, Henderson is a long athlete...but the other forwards aren't overly long and just seem to be good around the basket. The Williams kid is more of a skilled technician versus pure athlete.
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
Incoming transfers Henry Coleman, Marcus Williams, Jordan Hall, and Javonte Brown will all be sophomores next season. This is huge for building the program.
wacarnolds
AG
AggieHoopsGuy said:

Incoming transfers Henry Coleman, Marcus Williams, Jordan Hall, and Javonte Brown will all be sophomores next season. This is huge for building the program.

Even better, they're all actually classified as freshman when it comes to eligibility
greg.w.h
AG
I appreciate any effort to draw themes from the recruiting that helps it feel less helter-skelter to me. I don't see a theme and note the players recruited as freshmen so far also tells a disorganized story on the court.

I'm still interested and still feel Buzz is a very good choice for Texas A&M because we don't have what sometimes is referred to as "market permission" in either football or basketball to be a standout program. Jimbo has started addressing that general public opinion (and just as importantly the talking heads' commentary that drives public opinion) by winning and appearing to do it "the right way."

Buzz turning the corner on consistency comes first of course. And these portal choices scream experience and potentially consistency. I'm all in on watching next year and seeing where this goes.
BMOC86
AG
I think Buzz has upgraded his roster.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Brown is just big, from what I've seen on tape he doesn't look all that athletic, but he could still be growing into his size, who knows.

He will be bigger than the average opponent at least. We probably won't face anybody whose got a guy bigger than our biggest guy.
Double Diamond
Total upgrade.
Wicked Good Ag
wacarnolds said:

AggieHoopsGuy said:

Even better, they're all actually classified as freshman when it comes to eligibility

I don't know if this is a good thing long term vs short term
bobinator
AG
Yeah, he's big, no doubt, I'm just saying that I dunno if I'd say he's all that athletic. Luckily he doesn't have to be.
bobinator
AG
How would it not be good?
phorizt
with so many young guys on the roster the best ones will rise to the top and the ones that don't crack the lineup will transfer... and then maybe our best players will also transfer. Who knows at this point?

At least the offseason will be more action packed an interesting from now on.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

He's saying if these guys don't pan out, the program is pretty much stuck with them for multiple years. I was surprised a little that they didn't bring in at least one more grad transfer (in addition to Henderson) simply to give them more flexibility in the next recruiting cycle. But if the staff is confident with the guys they signed, then it should be fine.
bobinator
AG
I guess, but you can always find ways to get rid of players if you need to.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

bobinator said:

He's saying if these guys don't pan out, the program is pretty much stuck with them for multiple years. I was surprised a little that they didn't bring in at least one more grad transfer (in addition to Henderson) simply to give them more flexibility in the next recruiting cycle. But if the staff is confident with the guys they signed, then it should be fine.
If Buzz ends up being fine with all the freshman, he'll only have to recruit about 3-4 more guys over the next 3 years!
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

He's not a leaper, but he moves well for his size. Not a stiff and that's what I care about.
bobinator
AG
You're either DeAndre Jordan or Andy Slocum, there is no in between IMO
Pumpkinhead
AG
MarcAg said:

bobinator said:

He's not a leaper, but he moves well for his size. Not a stiff and that's what I care about.
If Brown had a 40" vertical in addition to all his other traits...well...he'd probably be on an NBA roster by now and not giving college the time of day.
WestHillsAg
AG
Aaron Jack ?
monarch
S
All I want from this team is that they play the way Buzz wants them to play...as a team. Not the NBA way... 5 individuals playing 5 individuals.
Peace for Ukraine!
sincereag
Buzz has done a remarkable job of rebuilding the roster with all the new transfers. I love the versatility and extra length from most of these guys which we desperately needed. Very excited with getting Williams and Hall who seem to be very skilled scorers and passers and will help in getting our offense going. Then add in Obaseki and Taylor, along with Gordon, Jackson, Heffner, Cash and Diarra to the mix and we have many lineup options at the guard position.
Captain Pablo
AG
Do our players' skill sets include actually scoring points?
greg.w.h
AG
Captain Pablo said:

A few. But we know Buzz is a defense-first coach and tries to win by limiting scoring and creating turnovers that turn into transition points. Of course Turgeon and Kennedy both came in emphasizing up-tempo offenses and ended up playing defense first as well.

There is an offense there. It might be too complicated and has some motion elements without successfully creating clan shots. I also think our players shot anxiously a lot. But that may be me just providing an excuse for a lot of misses.
TxAg76
AG
greg.w.h said:

Captain Pablo said:

There is an offense there. It might be too complicated and has some motion elements without successfully creating clan shots. I also think our players shot anxiously a lot.

Creating clan shots would certainly qualify as offense, and/or offensive.
Might explain some of the anxiety as well.
wacarnolds
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Marcus Williams 15 ppg
Jordan Hall 11 ppg

Both put up good numbers as freshman, and will help carry the scoring load. Hopefully Manny O hits the ground running too. The other newcomers probably won't be major offensive weapons.
bobinator
AG
That's only 26 ppg. We're going to need a lot more than that to win in my opinion.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

That's only 26 ppg. We're going to need a lot more than that to win in my opinion.
cmon that's at least half way to last year's scoring output
MarcAg
AG
wacarnolds said:

Captain Pablo said:

Marcus Williams 15 ppg
Jordan Hall 11 ppg

Both put up good numbers as freshman, and will help carry the scoring load. Hopefully Manny O hits the ground running too. The other newcomers probably won't be major offensive weapons.
Ok once we know what the roster looks like (I still think we add one more), are you starting a thread where we can all make ridiculous predictions of PPG for each player?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.