Steve Roccaforte

8,074 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MarcAg
SalesAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw him with Buzz at an Aggie baseball game a few weeks ago and didn't think "too" much of it since they worked together at Va Tech. See he is now liking tweets of transfer commits to us. Is he taking the open assistant position? Haven't seen any word of it
Method Man
I agree.
rlb28
AG
dude was terrible at Lamar
DTP02
AG
rlb28 said:

Eh, he was in line with where they've been for most of the last few decades. Knight came in and won big right away after him, but then immediately fell off to lower lows before getting fired.

Old high school Buddy is a former player so I know more than I should about Lamar hoops.
JJxvi
AG
rlb28 said:

He's no Pat Knight...
rlb28
AG
DTP02 said:

rlb28 said:

Eh, he was in line with where they've been for most of the last few decades. Knight came in and won big right away after him, but then immediately fell off to lower lows before getting fired.

Old high school Buddy is a former player so I know more than I should about Lamar hoops.
Three straight 9th-place finishes in the lowly Southland.
ironmanag
AG
You realize that sometimes people can be great assistants but terrible head men right?
rlb28
AG
ironmanag said:

You realize that sometimes people can be great assistants but terrible head men right?
I guess you're directing that at me. I made no accusations about his acumen as an assistant. My text to my son read: "D*ck. Bad head coach. Good recruiter"
phorizt
This guy left Buzz in the middle of July when he was VT's top assistant and took a lower level job at East Carolina. Why would you make that move unless either the HC didn't want you there or you didn't want to be with the HC anymore? Just seems kind of odd to make that move and then a couple of years later end up back with the same HC again. He's supposed to be a really good recruiter.
Ag_EE_88
AG
phorizt said:

This guy left Buzz in the middle of July when he was VT's top assistant and took a lower level job at East Carolina. Why would you make that move unless either the HC didn't want you there or you didn't want to be with the HC anymore? Just seems kind of odd to make that move and then a couple of years later end up back with the same HC again. He's supposed to be a really good recruiter.

So what you are saying is that in a few years, we could have McNeilly back?
DTP02
AG
All I know is that Steve Roccaforte is worth 1.230 Jamie McNeillys... as of today.
MarcAg
AG
Cheveswayne1 said:

Saw him with Buzz at an Aggie baseball game a few weeks ago and didn't think "too" much of it since they worked together at Va Tech. See he is now liking tweets of transfer commits to us. Is he taking the open assistant position? Haven't seen any word of it
So a guy that left Buzz's staff at VT to be an assistant at East Carolina is now going to come to A&M? Why did he leave VT? Anybody know?

Somebody beat me to the punch with above commentary.

I still expect Vince Waldren or Joe Fulce to be the new assistant. That's just based on Buzz's history.
aggiejohn
AG
It seems like Coach Rock will be the next assistant coach at TAMU. Why else would he be liking the recent transfer's tweets?
greg.w.h
AG
aggiejohn said:

It seems like Coach Rock will be the next assistant coach at TAMU. Why else would he be liking the recent transfer's tweets?
To get a show cause for tampering when he goes somewhere else???
MarcAg
AG
aggiejohn said:

Brown nosing to try to get the job?

Just a weird thing for him to leave VT for ECU. Did they have a falling out? Did Buzz push him out? Why would somebody choose to leave VT to go coach at ECU in same position? Hop said Buzz would murder somebody if they weren't loyal to him. So maybe he's bringing him in to get him close before Buzz chokes him out.
Pumpkinhead
AG
So no Stansbury?
AgEfan
Stansbury would have been a great hire, but isn't he still coaching at WKU?
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
This guy must be an ace recruiter. With a name like Roccaforte how could he not
MarcAg
AG
AggieHoopsGuy said:

This guy must be an ace recruiter. With a name like Roccaforte how could he not

I mean look at him. How do you say No to this dude
bobinator
AG
Real strong "Y'all are going to play this Tchaikovsky piece to perfection or there will be hell to pay" energy.
85AustinAg
AG
If the guy graduated from Lamar maybe he's a Texan. I can tell you from experience going back to Texas after living in other states is a big draw.

Have no idea why he left abruptly during the summer to take another job while at VT - but that's a long time ago.

Reading several of his biographies on line he's known to be an ace recruiter.
MarcAg
AG
Wish we could get the story on him leaving VT to go to ECU. He just said time it was a time for a change for him. Just an odd move.

Anyway I guessed they squashed any beef they might have had (and maybe there wasn't any). And maybe they also just realized both are better when they work together. And it also puts another hole in Hop's thing about Buzz will murder anyone who isn't loyal.

Hop
Staff
AG
That picture doesn't show that Buzz took off his left big toe as a reminder to never leave him again.
MarcAg
AG
And Buzz makes him wear it around his neck.
JJxvi
AG
Tucked in polo, buttoned to the top button, etc. I'm disappointed he doesnt appear to have a phone holster clipped to his belt.
SalesAg13
AG

DukeMu
Cheveswayne1 said:

Good pick up for the Pirates.

ECU's head coach used to lead Florida Gulf Coast during their NCAA runs.
MarcAg
AG
DukeMu said:

Cheveswayne1 said:

Good pick up for the Pirates.

ECU's head coach used to lead Florida Gulf Coast during their NCAA runs.

Did you read that correctly?
bobinator
AG
I like that people are posting some again but there must be a lot of day drinking going on
LawHall88
AG
agtrevino07
AG
Roccaforte officially introduced by Texas A&M

https://12thman.com/news/2021/6/1/mens-basketball-williams-names-roccaforte-assistant-coach.aspx

"Coach Roc is an important addition to our program," Williams said. "He is a tireless and effective recruiter, and as a native Texan, has strong basketball relationships across our state. He brings high energy and loves to teach the game. As a former head coach with more than 30 years of Division 1 experience, he knows the formula to help develop players on and off the floor, and understands what it takes to win. He has been on our staff before, so he understands our culture, and will have immediate traction with our staff and student-athletes."
Ag_EE_88
AG
Glad to see it is official. Guess McNeilly's contract must have ended yesterday.
MarcAg
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

Glad to see it is official. Guess McNeilly's contract must have ended yesterday.

I don't think it had much to do with McNeilly's contract.
I think these things could have been more likely.

1) Official contract probably had to be ironed out
2) Maybe because there are certain things an official coach can't do that a coach not under contract can get away with. I mean i don't think it's a coincidence that they announce it right as coaches are allowed to meet with recruits in person.

Let's not forget Buzz was hired in April and there wasn't an official announcement on his initial staff until late August.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.