Ags land a player

10,611 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Method Man
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I probably missed it so apologize for asking, but do we know why McNeilly left the staff after 11 years with Buzz?
lbasham
AG
Contract not renewed by Coach Williams.
Scarborough Ag
Complete Idiot
lbasham said:

I'm looking for sliiiiiiiightly more detail here.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Complete Idiot said:

lbasham said:

There have been no publically reported details on reasons.

All that has been publically confirmed is it was Buzz's decision to not renew the contract, even though Buzz knew for sure that Cashius McNeilly would leave too and possibly Emmanuel Miller as well. Per Logan, it was hoped Miller would ultimately stay, but the decision was made with that risk factored in.
Complete Idiot
Pumpkinhead said:

Complete Idiot said:

lbasham said:

All that has been publically confirmed is it was Buzz's decision to not renew the contract, even though Buzz knew for sure that Cashius McNeilly would leave too and possibly Emmanuel Miller as well. Per Logan, it was hoped Miller would ultimately stay, but the decision was made with that risk factored in.

I can imagine many reasons why we would never know - power struggle, a specific event turned things south, NCAA issues (these are all theoretical speculation, I obviously know nothing) - but also possible it could be something behind the scenes that someone here may have heard of and would be OK to share - looking for career growth, philosophical differences regarding future roster or playing style, family needs, etc.
Hop
Staff
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Complete Idiot said:

lbasham said:

I can imagine many reasons why we would never know - power struggle, a specific event turned things south, NCAA issues (these are all theoretical speculation, I obviously know nothing) - but also possible it could be something behind the scenes that someone here may have heard of and would be OK to share - looking for career growth, philosophical differences regarding future roster or playing style, family needs, etc.
It could be just that he didn't want to rely on the Canadian pipeline so much and felt he needed more recruiting punch in Texas and the region. He even said as much in a recent interview that he wanted/needed to do better in Texas.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I heard McNeilly criticized Buzz for reading too many books and going on too many podcasts so that's why Buzz got rid of him. Plus he hated the stupid thing Buzz does where he gives the wrong age on his happy birthday posts.
Complete Idiot
Hop said:

Complete Idiot said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Complete Idiot said:

lbasham said:

It could be just that he didn't want to rely on the Canadian pipeline so much and felt he needed more recruiting punch in Texas and the region. He even said as much in a recent interview that he wanted/needed to do better in Texas.
I agree that it COULD be that. It COULD be lots of reasons, I guess. If that's the reason you heard behind the scenes, I could buy that. 11 years is a long time together, and he's been a part of the success at Marquette and VaTech, so I was curious what happened and if it should concern us.
bobinator
AG
I heard it was McNeilly that kept giving him the books and taking his phone and subscribing to podcasts so the AD fired him. Like taking out the drug dealer.
GrayMatter
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Hop said:

Complete Idiot said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Complete Idiot said:

lbasham said:

I agree that it COULD be that. It COULD be lots of reasons, I guess. If that's the reason you heard behind the scenes, I could buy that. 11 years is a long time together, and he's been a part of the success at Marquette and VaTech, so I was curious what happened and if it should concern us.
Probably because this isn't Marquette and V-Tech and we have good instate players that he doesn't really need that Canadian pipeline anymore.
Complete Idiot
GrayMatter said:

Complete Idiot said:

Hop said:

Complete Idiot said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Complete Idiot said:

lbasham said:

Probably because this isn't Marquette and V-Tech and we have good instate players that he doesn't really need that Canadian pipeline anymore.
Buzz and McNeilly were at VT for 5 seasons and it wasn't until the 4th year I found a player who listed Canada as their home location. There was one player from Ontario in that 4th season, and added a second Canadian player in his 5th and final season there. During 6 seasons with Marquette I found two Canadian players, one may may been there before Buzz became HC though.
bobinator
AG
It's a very narrow pipeline, thanks Obama
Complete Idiot
bobinator said:

It's a very narrow pipeline, thanks Obama
I considered a pipeline/tribal lands joke but didn't want to attract F16 flies.
Hop
Staff
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Hop said:

Complete Idiot said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Complete Idiot said:

lbasham said:

That's not what I heard behind the scenes. I'm just connecting the dots based on his recent public comments. I'm not saying this IS the reason, just what I think it COULD be.
LawHall88
AG
Buzz likes tomato, Jamie likes to-mah-to.
Complete Idiot
No worries, it was clear your reply was merely speculation.

I guess the question invites that, so perhaps I shouldn't even be asking and it should be kept behind the scenes.

Excited to see who Buzz hires.
Pumpkinhead
AG
There are two types of people in this world. Those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't. McNeilly loved him.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Based upon where most of the transfers are from, I don't think distance has anything to do with which players Buzz wants to bring in. Just another coach excuse.
phorizt
Ag_EE_88 said:

Based upon where most of the transfers are from, I don't think distance has anything to do with which players Buzz wants to bring in. Just another coach excuse.

Lol good point... so our coach parts w a longtime assistant bc he wants more players from texas then goes out and gets 5 out of 6 transfers who are from nowhere near Texas.

bobinator
AG
Not saying Hop is right (obviously, I would never) but if you're hiring an assistant to help you recruit a region you probably aren't going to see the returns for at least a year.

I'm the portal you gotta get who you can get.

But more to your point, our current class has some dudes from Texas so that doesn't seem to be an issue. That's all to say that I have no idea, but I agree it's not just that he wants to recruit Texas better and not "rely on the Canadian pipeline."
wacarnolds
AG
I believe this is the statement that everyone is alluding to

"I do want to sign Texas guys - I want to sign Texas guys who are going to be successful, who fit at Texas A&M and are what we want to be about academically and on the floor. The priority of recruiting this state is important, as long as it fits what we're trying to accomplish."

Is there more than that? Because it seems like pretty normal coach speak for guys working in the state. Doesn't sound like an excuse, as some are making it out to be, or a major philosophical change, as others seem to be jumping to. The 2021 class was all TX HS guys, which is close to how things normally go around here.
The Shank Ag
I got here late... points to bobinator for calling it exactly like it is. That much turnover is concerning no matter the talent upgrade (and yes there probably is one. How large is yet to be seen).
greg.w.h
AG
The Shank Ag said:

I got here late... points to bobinator for calling it exactly like it is. That much turnover is concerning no matter the talent upgrade (and yes there probably is one. How large is yet to be seen).
That's like treating a symptom instead of a disease or always claiming if you smell any smoke that your house on fire.

I found the news jarring. But the world changed and everyone is potentially affected. And tye change arguably is necessary though traditionalists are fighting it because they don't like what it means.

It does make every coach's job harder. But they make the big bucks
EliteZags
AG
Complete Idiot said:

lbasham said:

He was no longer going to be paid by Texas A&M athletic dept
Ag_EE_88
AG
In typical Buzz interviews, that's what he said/alluded to the other day. And it's not like I believe it anymore than when he said Miller needed/wanted a fresh start.
AgEfan
phorizt said:

Ag_EE_88 said:

Lol good point... so our coach parts w a longtime assistant bc he wants more players from texas then goes out and gets 5 out of 6 transfers who are from nowhere near Texas.

Holy crap is this dumb!

Yes we need to recruit Texas better. Tons of talent in our backyard. We need guys to build good connections with coaches both HS and AAU locally. But to say we are going to pass on transfers because they aren't Texans is stupid. Just like Jimbo said today we have to recruit Texas well, but he said that doesn't mean we limit ourselves to Texas. Also recruiting kids in the portal is very different than recruiting kids in high school.

You are just b*tching to b*tch.

We need to recruit better, regardless of where they are from. Didn't sound like Mcneilly was a very good recruiter except for his little pocket in Canada. So part of it was we need better players and people that can help with that. Part of it was rumored his commitment to the program was questioned. Buzz isn't going to come out and say that publicly. Coaches get let go all the time and it's extremely rare for the head coach to say anything negative about the assistants that get let go or are not renewed.
Method Man
I'm concerned up 12 with four minutes left.
bobinator
AG
You'd be concerned up 20 with one minute left.
Complete Idiot
EliteZags said:

Complete Idiot said:

lbasham said:

He was no longer going to be paid by Texas A&M athletic dept
And so he just STOPS WORKING???? Talk about needy.

Good riddance!
greg.w.h
AG
I'll add that the town halls with Bjork and pressers with the coaches are actually very helpful over the long term for deciphering what is going on in Aggieland sports. Regrettably some writers come in with pre-determined story lines and use their questions to confirm the narrative. That's not always a bad thing, but it means what was actually said gets less attention.
PatAg
AG
This is somewhat unrelated, but is the coaching staff still limited this spring/summer like they were last year by covid related restrictions?

Or will they get a real offseason?
Method Man
No but close. I think a few of those auburn games when we were up like 17 and it got down to the last shot are good examples.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.