Ags land a player

10,628 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Method Man
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry if already posted

MarcAg
AG
bobinator
AG
Buzz's vision for the future: We're gonna have a 6-8 point guard and a 6-8 center.
bobinator
AG
Also another freshmen. We're going to be the oldest team of freshmen in the history of college basketball.
LukeDuke
AG
WOW - his game reminds me of Luka.

His ball skills and court awareness are A+!

He isn't crazy explosive or twitchy but he uses his size very well to protect the ball in traffic.

Love the step back jumper.
Double Diamond
Two weeks ago many of you were in full panic mode.
Aston04
AG
Double Diamond said:

Yup.... Adios those that left.

Basides Miller, making big time upgrades it appears. The other nice thing (mentioned in other thread)-- it's not just rent-a-players... Getting guys with 4 years eligibility, proven first year stats, and no more free transfer. great deal.
Complete Idiot
Double Diamond said:

Was the first transfer in that we learned about the Arkansas guy?
Method Man
PatAg
AG
Out of curiosity, why is he transferring from St. Joseph?
MarcAg
AG
PatAg said:

Get away from family.
wacarnolds
AG
Love it
Ag_EE_88
AG
Nice get
Topher17
AG
Buzz bringing in a bunch of proven freshman with four years to play and having already used their one free transfer. I think we will definitely see improvement this coming year based on talent on paper, but if they can put it together we could see us have a really good team here in two or three years.
LawHall88
AG
PatAg said:

Quote:

"I mean, it's nothing bad," Hall said Thursday during his first interview since tweeting his decision. "I didn't decide to leave on a bad note or anything like that. I had a good season. I just have a lot of family stuff going on. I moved to Philadelphia my sophomore year of high school. My family is out here, and I just want to get away from it."
https://theathletic.com/2552125/2021/04/29/why-saint-josephs-star-freshman-jordan-hall-entered-the-transfer-portal-and-what-it-means-for-the-hawks/

I promise I won't post this on any more threads.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Double Diamond said:

Well it wasn't without merit, if we're being honest. I'm a big believer in Buzz but even I was starting to worry when the EMan news broke. And then Buzz recruits are leaving too which makes you question things.
DTP02
AG
Aston04 said:

Double Diamond said:

Basides Miller, making big time upgrades it appears. The other nice thing (mentioned in other thread)-- it's just rent-a-players... Getting guys with 4 years eligibility, proven first year stats, and no more free transfer. great deal.

That's the low-key genius in these moves and it was absolutely intentional.

Instead of rent-a-players we mostly got guys you can build around because they're young and have used up their free transfer already.

It's one answer to how to build a true program in the portal era.
Topher17
AG
DTP02 said:

Aston04 said:

Double Diamond said:

Basides Miller, making big time upgrades it appears. The other nice thing (mentioned in other thread)-- it's just rent-a-players... Getting guys with 4 years eligibility, proven first year stats, and no more free transfer. great deal.

That's the low-key genius in these moves and it was absolutely intentional.

Instead of rent-a-players we mostly got guys you can build around because they're young and have used up their free transfer already.

It's one answer to how to build a true program in the portal era.
Yeah, seems to be Buzz's answer to the question of "How will a program builder like Buzz survive in the free transfer era?"

Definitely a valid question that I know people had going forward with the way Buzz had success in the past and this seems to be an interesting and solid way to go about it. I am excited to see how it all comes together in the next few years.
dallasiteinsa02
I have learned that in following Aggie sports, all ends up pretty even. If a few sports are way up another sport or a combination of sports has to be way down. Baseball and Softball are taking care of the down to clear room for football and basketball.
DTP02
AG
It's not without its downside, but there is no perfect answer to dealing with this kind of rampant instability.

The main downside I see is that, while you have a better idea of how these kids will perform on a college court, you know a lot less about them off the court so you could end up with a combustible lockerroom mix.
Topher17
AG
DTP02 said:

It's not without its downside, but there is no perfect answer to dealing with this kind of rampant instability.

The main downside I see is that, while you have a better idea of how these kids will perform on a college court, you know a lot less about them off the court so you could end up with a combustible lockerroom mix.
While this could be true, I'm not sure how much different that is from a high school recruit? Plus, I'm sure the coaches talk to other coaches about these kids to get ideas about those type of things before they take the kid's commitment.
Double Diamond
I knew Buzz had a plan.
AggieEyes
AG
Love this kid's game. Great pickup!
85AustinAg
AG
I'm with DD. Good coaches know how to address issues like the transfer portal and our losing E Man and others. It didn't concern me in the least because I know Buzz is a good coach and he knows what he's doing. Onward and Upward!
DTP02
AG
In most of these cases we know a lot less about the transfer kid off the court than we do kids we recruited out of high school.
Topher17
AG
We do, but do the coaches?
bobinator
AG
85AustinAg said:

I'm with DD. Good coaches know how to address issues like the transfer portal and our losing E Man and others. It didn't concern me in the least because I know Buzz is a good coach and he knows what he's doing. Onward and Upward!
It didn't concern you in the least to lose like 8 players off the roster?
DTP02
AG
Topher17 said:

We do, but do the coaches?

That's who I'm talking about.
PJYoung
AG
bobinator said:

85AustinAg said:

That is the ultimate whistling past the graveyard trust in the head coach attitude.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

85AustinAg said:

I had no feelings at the time. Had to see what the staff was going to add. What I did know is that all but one transfer was not only expendable, but we needed those spots to upgrade. I've been saying that there is more talent in the market today than there are D-1 spots. The only risk was the staff having a complete meltdown and not evaluating and recruiting the right players.

We still don't know what we have, so I'm not going to say everything is fine. But at this point, I'll take my chances with Williams, Coleman, and Hall over Bradford, Aku, and Chandler any day of the week and then some.
EliteZags
AG
he forgot to thank Coach Who Is Your Current Coach
bingram1230
AG
I get Kyle Anderson from the Grizzlies vibes a little bit. Good pickup
bobinator
AG
There's a difference between "I'm willing to wait and see" and not being concerned AT ALL.

I don't see how you could look at a program that:

- Fielded a terrible team last season in the coach's second season
- The head coach had a split with a long time assistant coach that costs us two players including...
- Loses it's only good player
- Loses two true freshmen that the coach recruited (different from losing the COVID seniors)

and not be at least a little bit concerned about the direction things were heading.

That's not to say there was any reason to flee for the hills and give up, I personally was in the 'well this doesn't look great, but let's see where we end up' category, but I don't see how any fan of this program wasn't at least a little bit concerned about the situation.

Like all that happens and you're just like "Buzz has a plan." We're paying Buzz top 15 money and two seasons in he just had to hit the reset button, that can't have been his plan.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

There's a difference between "I'm willing to wait and see" and not being concerned AT ALL.

I don't see how you could look at a program that:

- Fielded a terrible team last season in the coach's second season
- The head coach had a split with a long time assistant coach that costs us two players including...
- Loses it's only good player
- Loses two true freshmen that the coach recruited (different from losing the COVID seniors)

and not be at least a little bit concerned about the direction things were heading.

That's not to say there was any reason to flee for the hills and give up, I personally was in the 'well this doesn't look great, but let's see where we end up' category, but I don't see how any fan of this program wasn't at least a little bit concerned about the situation.

Like all that happens and you're just like "Buzz has a plan." We're paying Buzz top 15 money and two seasons in he just had to hit the reset button, that can't have been his plan.

I think I clearly explained why I wasn't "concerned" and it was nothing that you suggested.

A&M had 3-4 players that were taking up space on the roster. It was inevitable that there would be an upgrade of some kind....considering that with all of the free transfers and so many low D-1's and D-2 studs picking up high D-1 spots that there was an over-supply of good, solid transfers that were going to make the A&M team better...no question.

With that said, a lot of our competitors in the SEC got better as well. But no, I was not worried in terms of A&M improving itself through this year's very large pool of portal transfers.
bobinator
AG
Well you're a weird guy so what can I say.

I like to think I'm pretty optimistic about Aggie Hoops and I was definitely a little concerned.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.