Henry Coleman III Commits

7,122 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Hop
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's no doubt he was better as a starter, the question is why. Just a mental thing? Something to do with the rotation of other players?

It would be nice to bring him in off the bench with the younger guards, at least early on.
MarcAg
AG
I think it's often a mental thing on players that struggle whether it's coming off the bench or starting.
phorizt
Hopefully Williams comes in and wins the starting pg job. I really dont like Gordon running the offense.
bobinator
AG
I want to see Gordon with some talent around him and see what he looks like. I know I'm seemingly all alone on Gordon island but I still like him.
MarcAg
AG
Method Man is a Gordon guy too. I'm not anti-Gordon. I just think he is what he is. I think by SEC play he will not be a starter but a nice piece off the bench. But he might start but not finish games. We all probably put too much stock in who starts and what we really should look at and care about is who is on the court to finish games.
phorizt
I like Gordon just fine just not at starting PG. i think he's really an ideal backcourt 6th man type guy who can bring energy, versatility and athleticism to the table but he just doesnt seem to have a natural feel for running the point.
_lefraud_
AG
I too like Gordon, and want to see him with some better scorers/shooters. He thrives off of confidence, whether it's his own, or the teams.
bobinator
AG
Part of my belief in Gordon is that he's going to take another step this offseason, maybe a big one since it'll be a much more normal offseason.

No doubt he's not as athletically gifted as some other guys but I like his mentality and I like him at point if we can put quality guys around him. I think he could be a really good point if he's not the only guy on the court that can dribble.

That said, all of our theorizing presupposes we're going to attempt to actually run some kind of recognizable offense next season.
bg92
AG
I think if we are a good team, Gordon needs to be a 15 minutes a game sub. He just doesn't do anything great. He is a role player forced to play a lot of minutes because of the roster. I like Gordon and think he can be valuable, but I'm hoping for better. With that said, most of the other options are young, so he probably starts early.
EliteZags
AG
Obaseki should get a lot of minutes off the bat, steps right in as our most athletic guard
Pumpkinhead
AG
https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2021/4/20/22393226/podcast-309-henry-coleman-has-left-the-building-duke-basketball-transfer-portal

interesting listen on Henry Coleman by the Duke basketball insiders when he entered the portal.

Apparently this kid really impressed them with his character and off-court leadership, much more so than anything he did on the court. On the court, felt he was't going to be missed much specifically with regards to the 2021-2022 season, because it was unlikely he'd have gotten many minutes. Felt like he was a 3-4 year college guy type who would more pay off on the court his junior and senior years, painted him as a great guy to have as a 'core' multi-year piece in a program, so they sounded pretty bummed.
phorizt
Pumpkinhead said:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2021/4/20/22393226/podcast-309-henry-coleman-has-left-the-building-duke-basketball-transfer-portal

interesting listen on Henry Coleman by the Duke basketball insiders when he entered the portal.

Apparently this kid really impressed them with his character and off-court leadership, much more so than anything he did on the court. On the court, felt he was't going to be missed much because it was unlikely he'd have gotten many minutes. Felt like he was a 3-4 year college guy type who would really more pay off on the court his junior and senior seasons, a 'core' multi-year guy with great leadership, so they sounded pretty bummed.

From everything I've read and from listening to that podcast, Coleman is the cbb player version of Buzz the coach. He even has a very strong Twitter inspirational quote game. A match made in basketball heaven. Sounds like Coleman will be a great ambassador for the university and a team leader.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Coleman does sound like he likes to read a lot of leadership/motivational books and listen to such podcasts.
Gap
AG
Just so it doesn't get in the way of his primary basketball duties like game preparation, recruiting, and building positive relationships on his team.
GrayMatter
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I too like Gordon, and want to see him with some better scorers/shooters. He thrives off of confidence, whether it's his own, or the teams.
I like his aggressiveness in late game situations It doesn't really bother me if he starts or comes off the bench, but I don't know know of any other player who should definitely see minutes at the end of a close ball game.
skaggsjw
AG
Good stuff from some b-ball nerds at Duke:

wacarnolds
AG
GrayMatter said:

_lefraud_ said:

I like his aggressiveness in late game situations It doesn't really bother me if he starts or comes off the bench, but I don't know know of any other player who should definitely see minutes at the end of a close ball game.

Q should be in there at the end of the game. Although he does have issues with turnovers, he's a capable ball handler, can contribute multiple ways on offense, hold his own defensively, and most important, went 23-24 from the FT line in SEC play. I think he's a definitely guy you can trust to be out there in crunch time.
bobinator
AG
I actually don't think he's a very capable ball handler. For me he's basically a slash or shoot guy.

How much I like him in a late game situation would depend on a number of variables of the game situation and what kind of defenders the other team has.

But again, I think it's hard to know what guys might look like next year if our overall talent level is better. We were just WAY too easy to guard the last two years.
Aston04
AG
phorizt said:

I like Gordon just fine just not at starting PG. i think he's really an ideal backcourt 6th man type guy who can bring energy, versatility and athleticism to the table but he just doesnt seem to have a natural feel for running the point.
agreed. Offensive gets bogged down a lot with him at #1. Shooting of Gordon has got to improve. Knock down open 3s.
Expert Analysis
AG
really needed a pickup like this. We can at least role out three/four young guys at the 4 and 5. We are going to be so young next year. I hope they are hungry. Last years team was not hungry. Flagg, Chandler, and Marfo were just going through the motions.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

I actually don't think he's a very capable ball handler. For me he's basically a slash or shoot guy.

How much I like him in a late game situation would depend on a number of variables of the game situation and what kind of defenders the other team has.

But again, I think it's hard to know what guys might look like next year if our overall talent level is better. We were just WAY too easy to guard the last two years.

I don't want him as a primary ball handler, but I think he has the requisite skill and knowledge to be on the court at the end of the game, make sound decisions, help move the ball down the court, dribble/pass out of traps, etc.

Of course, this is all relative to our current team. Sure he might not be part of the closing lineup of the 2016 team, but I think it's a no brainer to put him out there with our current roster.
bobinator
AG
I definitely want him in if the other team has to foul.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I like Gordon but he's not a PG. He's done a good job forced into a role that doesn't suit him but he's got a great mentality and toughness about him.
MarcAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

I like Gordon but he's not a PG. He's done a good job forced into a role that doesn't suit him but he's got a great mentality and toughness about him.

Is he a SG?
mcag83
Know Your Enemy
AG
MarcAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Is he a SG?

Not really.
Method Man
What's a PG?
bobinator
AG
We've gone over this, it's whatever kind of guard we don't currently have.
MarcAg
AG
I'm ok rolling out there with Williams and Obaseki on the court and calling them both PGs.
bobinator
AG
A basketball only has one point Marc. Wait, no, that's not right, it's if you have two points you don't have any.
phorizt
You can play 4 PGs at a time if they can shoot and score. You can't play multiple Dash Harris' at one time.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

I want to see Gordon with some talent around him and see what he looks like. I know I'm seemingly all alone on Gordon island but I still like him.

Gordon is a satisfactory contributor, but we need more dynamic playmakers in the first rotation.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.