Henry Coleman III Commits

7,127 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Hop
Never_seen_em_quit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Transfer from Duke. Big time get in the portal.

https://247sports.com/player/henry-coleman-46047725/
MarcAg
AG
Ok I didnt see that one coming
Gap
AG
I would assume he is slated in Emanuel Miller's spot.
bobinator
AG
wow
Gap
AG
He would have been here sooner, but the holdup was waiting for Aku's number to come available.
EastTX_Ag21
AG
ALRIGHT THEN, big get for buzz
Ag_EE_88
AG
Nice. I'm starting to think we'll be okay next year.
AggieHoopsGuy
Traveler
AG
I was going to say something snarky like "Buzz just hoping some of the Duke sheen rubs off" but this guy looks like a legit player!

How the **** did that happen! And mad respect to the bagman responsible.
wacarnolds
AG
Sweet
Double Diamond
Trust in Buzz.
wacarnolds
AG
The sample size doesn't get much smaller (62 mins played in 14 ACC games), but 7 offensive rebounds per 40 min shows some serious aggressiveness. Seems like at a minimum he can be an energy guy until his offensive game develops
Agwill07
Ol Jock 99
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

18. Henry Coleman III, 6-8 forward, sophomore, Duke

The name of the game with Coleman is energy and athleticism. Few players in the 2020 recruiting class combined those two attributes in a more effective way at the high school level. Combined with a college-ready frame, Coleman was seen as something of a sleeper by some and capable of emerging into a high-level draft prospect in 2021. That didn't happen for a couple of reasons. First, his skill set is clearly still developing. Second, he was stuck behind Matthew Hurt, Mark Williams and Jalen Johnson for a large portion of the season, leaving precious few minutes to go around for a player best suited for the four. Coleman is a high-major talent, and the next stop for him will probably get much more out of him than Duke did. I still believe Coleman has all-conference upside as an upperclassman if things go right for him.
https://theathletic.com/2469325/2021/04/28/college-basketball-player-tracker-ranking-the-35-best-available-transfers-and-high-school-recruits/
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
He's a bit different player than Miller, even more impressive athletic specimen than Miller is, but isn't as far along developing his game. But seems like this mitigates a bunch the Miller hole.
Method Man
Yes
SouthwesternAg
S
I agree - he is your day 1 starter at the 4 spot.
Excited about next years team - pieces are starting to fall in place.
Texas A&M
I'm assuming others will get here via the portal, but at this point what are people's guesses on our starting 5?
85AustinAg
AG
FYI - Some of us were never worried. In Buzz we trust.
MarcAg
AG
Texas A&M said:

I'm assuming others will get here via the portal, but at this point what are people's guesses on our starting 5?

Today I would guess the following 4 start and then a lot of competition to be the 5th starter. But that could change tomorrow depending on who comes in.

Williams
Jackson
Coleman
Brown

Gordon, Diarra, Obaseki and Taylor fighting for that last spot. Hefner possibly if he has great off-season.
Never_seen_em_quit
AG
I think Obaseki has a decent chance to be the 5th guy there even though I can see being hesitant about a true fish.

Also I think Diarra and Williams could go either way too.
SouthwesternAg
S
I think Brown at the 5, Coleman at the 4 on day 1 - the guards will be Gordon, Williams and Q. By conference anybody's guess as any of about 5 or 6 others could work themselves into a starting position
Pumpkinhead
AG
If Brown has any kind of motor, paired with Coleman who is aggressive apparently, and Henderson has great length and hustles, we could be pretty strong on the offensive glass.
Method Man
Manny will start.
bobinator
AG
Gordon started every game this year (compared to 10/18 for Q,) have a hard time imagining him not starting the first game next year if on principle if nothing else. Plus I like Q off the bench.
bobinator
AG
I guess give me Gordon, Williams, Obaseki, Coleman and Brown. Maybe Hefner for Coleman early if he has a good off-season.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

Gordon started every game this year (compared to 10/18 for Q,) have a hard time imagining him not starting the first game next year if on principle if nothing else. Plus I like Q off the bench.

Q is much better as a starter. If he isn't starting then somebody stepped up their game big time.
bobinator
AG
I just have a hard time imagining Buzz benching Gordon when he never did this year. I consider him basically an absolute lock to start.
Method Man
Gonna be hard to convince Q to come back if he isn't a guaranteed starter.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

I just have a hard time imagining Buzz benching Gordon when he never did this year. I consider him basically an absolute lock to start.

I didn't claim he would bench Gordon. I had 4 guys as starter and one spot open. He could be that 5th starter. But I also don't think what happened last year matters. A lot more talent at guard this coming year and what we did last year didn't exactly work. So I expect all positions are up for grabs.

Jackson is much better as a starter than off the bench. He should be starting.
bobinator
AG
Eh, I'm not sure that's the case.

I guess I do tend to think Buzz will start both Gordon and Jackson to start next season and then go from there based on how things look.
bobinator
AG
He was better as a starter this year but that's not necessarily the case moving forward either.

It's really hard to guess without seeing how their styles fit together though. I could see some guys having better chemistry with others and their games complementing each other so tweaking the rotation a bit to maximize that.

Especially with guys that are better in the open court.
MarcAg
AG
This year:
Jackson as starter 13.6 ppg shooting 52%
Jackson off bench 6.5 ppg shooting 37%

Big difference
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.