JJ Caldwell in the portal

6,167 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AWP 97
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, the player who seemed to have graduated from high school in the class of 2013 or something near there, is leaving New Mexico.

Quote:

Jan. 4, 2021

Former University of New Mexico basketball player JJ Caldwell can't pursue claims against the school's athletic director for being kicked off the team for allegedly assaulting a woman because no constitutional right to play college ball exists and harm to his potential NBA career is speculative, the District of New Mexico ruled.

Caldwell alleged that UNM Athletic Director Eddie Nuez deprived him of his property interest in playing college basketball and his liberty interest in his reputation and his future career as a professional player without due process of law in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment.

JJ Caldwell charged with battery
bobinator
AG
"speculative" is a really nice way to put that.
bobinator
AG
Caldwell might be the worst of our dreadful 10-plus-year history of "just wait until (point guard) arrives" guys.
Double Diamond
Reese was a pretty big swing and a miss as well. Local kid who had a bit of hype as a early recruit.
rlb28
AG
Double Diamond said:

Reese was a pretty big swing and a miss as well. Local kid who had a bit of hype as a early recruit.
https://theeagle.com/archives/nations-best-lives-here/article_77ee2b2d-800e-5d42-921d-ff1c6a784571.html

Quote:

May 5, 2007
Locals rated among country's top seventh-grade basketball players

J-Mychal Reese and Jon Allen have played basketball all over the United States.

They have played the sport for their national age-group teams, representing the United States in competition in France.

Two weeks ago, their AAU team won the prestigious Kingwood tournament. Last weekend in Brownfield, they won a national championship in Little Dribblers, which wrapped up with a 62-48 victory over Jacksonville for the National Seniors title.

They have been invited to showcase their skills in Jr. Phenom camps. They have been written about, shown on TV and had their photos taken for ESPN The Magazine.

Last year, Hoop Scoop named Reese the No. 1 prospect in America among boys about to start the seventh grade. Allen, his AAU teammate, was ranked second.

In the ever-increasing world of talent evaulation, Reese now shares the top spot and Allen is currently ranked 31st among soon-to-be eighth-graders - officially listed as boys in the high school class of 2012.

bobinator
AG
Branch is the other one in the running for this title. Branch had the added benefit of having been committed to us for like 15 years.
Aggie09Derek
AG
What ever happened to Jon Allen?
bobinator
AG
Everyone else grew.
rlb28
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

What ever happened to Jon Allen
I think Texas State
Hop
Staff
AG
Yeah, Reese stayed around the national Top 100 based on his early hype. He was a very average graduating senior high school player and recruit.
bobinator
AG
Reese could show flashes even as a senior, you just didn't see them all the time. Not sure if it was an effort thing or what, but he just tended to sort of float through games most of the time. But you'd see the flash and think "okay, maybe at the next level he plays hard all the time."

Certainly by the time they were seniors though I remember there being some conversation about why everyone was so sure he was better than Caruso.
jja79
AG
After reading the JJ Caldwell hype out of the Texags guys I expected a lot. From that point I quit reading the recruiting stuff other than for the names of who might be a possibility.
bobinator
AG
Projecting players at the college level can be a challenge in any position in any sport, but I think point guard, especially point guards that aren't prolific scorers and aren't particularly athletic are up there with non-mobile quarterbacks as the toughest to project.

You just don't know if their court vision, the thing that makes them so good at the high school level, is going to translate to the college level or not.
Hop
Staff
AG
jja79 said:

After reading the JJ Caldwell hype out of the Texags guys I expected a lot. From that point I quit reading the recruiting stuff other than for the names of who might be a possibility.
Caldwell is one helluva talent. A recruiting analyst can't predict off the field issues, arrests, lawsuits, etc.. We can just evaluate what we see on the court. He was a Top 100 type of talent....just not a guy that has kept to the straight and narrow in his college career.
jja79
AG
Maybe so. I didn't see it but I'm not a scout. He looked pretty ordinary to me. I get the off the court stuff but he didn't seem like anything special on the court.
MarcAg
AG
Hop said:

Yeah, Reese stayed around the national Top 100 based on his early hype. He was a very average graduating senior high school player and recruit.
One of the only things I've ever been right on was saying Caruso would be better in college than Reese.
Pumpkinhead
AG
MarcAg said:

Hop said:

One of the only things I've ever been right on was saying Caruso would be better in college than Reese.
Not only that, Caruso is playing on the L.A. Lakers and has a ring!
MarcAg
AG
Yeah but I didnt predict any of that
Method Man
Hop did we pass on Carson edwards to get Caldwell ?
Method Man
MarcAg said:

Hop said:

And the green uniforms for St Patrick's day
brew82
Jon Allen played one year at Sterling College in Kansas. He was a man-child as a middle schooler, but didn't grow much more in high school. His dad is, or was, a roofer in College Station. Last time I talked to him, been several years, Jon was in chiropractic school.

The John Allen that played for Texas State was around 1990.
BCG Disciple
AG
This thread is like reminiscing at all the good looking women you used to hit and being thankful for the bullet you dodged.
JJxvi
AG
Which one did we land via strategic deployment of Soulja Boy at maroon madness? Branch?
Hop
Staff
AG
JJxvi said:

Which one did we land via strategic deployment of Soulja Boy at maroon madness? Branch?
Yeah, Branch was in that timeframe.
Hop
Staff
AG
Method Man said:

I wouldn't say it was a one or the other. Edwards was down the list if I recall. He was a solid 3-star playing for the Hoops if my memory serves me. Wasn't he from Atascocita?
rlb28
AG
Hop said:

Method Man said:

I wouldn't say it was a one or the other. Edwards was down the list if I recall. He was a solid 3-star playing for the Hoops if my memory serves me. Wasn't he from Atascocita?
yes, hoops. yes, atascocita
AggieTFA06
AG
Another BK recruiting disaster. This is one of reasons I lost faith in BK as a recruiter.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Aston04
AG
jja79 said:

Maybe so. I didn't see it but I'm not a scout. He looked pretty ordinary to me. I get the off the court stuff but he didn't seem like anything special on the court.
If he could shoot, he'd be good. But that's a gigantic IF...
rlb28
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

Another BK recruiting disaster. This is one of reasons I lost faith in BK as a recruiter.

Explain. Dude was sought after by everyone
phorizt
I hope we never recruit another pg who can't shoot.
Aston04
AG
phorizt said:

I hope we never recruit another pg who can't shoot.
A-f******-men
BCG Disciple
AG
Not going to lie, I like the BJ Holmes type shooter with ACfresh handles.
bobinator
AG
I'd just take AC again.
Method Man
Yes
AggieTFA06
AG
rlb28 said:

AggieTFA06 said:

Explain. Dude was sought after by everyone
Every year under BK, we kept getting told about some great recruit, some great PG and every year, we underachieved with the exception of 2 seasons. I didn't have much faith in Caldwell and looks like I was right. It wasn't a talent we lacked, it was competent coaching.

I'm hoping Buzz can turn things around, but I'm losing patience.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.