When do we expect to have a good idea who is on the team?

3,081 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by EliteZags
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will this shake out by the end of school, or drag into the summer?
_lefraud_
AG
Likely won't have the complete roster until September, and that goes for almost every roster across the country.
Anchorhold
When is the first conference game next year?
mazag08
AG
NCAA should just allow players to transfer whenever, and are eligible immediately.

Need a 3 pt shooter mid season? To the portal!

I mean.. this is all for the children right? Why would we restrict WHEN they can go? We already don't care who, where, and how often. These children need to be supported with unlimited funding and freedom. Wouldn't want them to ever have to work through any issues or adversity.
Double Diamond
Would be nice if the portal was there in season.
wacarnolds
AG
mazag08 said:

NCAA should just allow players to transfer whenever, and are eligible immediately.

I mean.. this is all for the children right? Why would we restrict WHEN they can go? We already don't care who, where, and how often. These children need to be supported with unlimited funding and freedom. Wouldn't want them to ever have to work through any issues or adversity.

Guys whining on the internet about how players can't handle adversity
greg.w.h
AG
The NCAA is trying to moot a lawsuit in front of the SCOTUS. Not exactly swatting at gnats...
Pumpkinhead
AG
When the pre-season team photo is taken this fall.
mazag08
AG
wacarnolds said:

mazag08 said:

Guys whining on the internet about how players can't handle adversity

Not whining at all! It's so incredibly hard going to college and having to work your way into a lineup. I want them to be able to transfer whenever they want so that they don't have to ever worry about earning a spot. It's only fair to the children.
halfastros81
AG
Was thinking about this in light of our roster shortages, Is Reuben Fatheree going to play basketball at A & M?
bobinator
AG
I highly doubt it
fatdad84ag
AG
He was sitting behind me at the spring game and said they were going to let him give it a shot this year, especially if he was going to redshirt in FB. He also said it depended on how much weight he put on this summer and fall preparing for the season.
halfastros81
AG
Thanks. That's great info.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I mean, it would be fun, but an OT body playing D1 basketball? That would be a sight.
fatdad84ag
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I mean, it would be fun, but an OT body playing D1 basketball? That would be a sight.
Have you seen his highlights?
Ol Jock 99
AG
fatdad84ag said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Have you seen his highlights?
No. But the biggest guys you see in college hoops are like MartyB and the dude at Baylor this year. An OT takes that up another level or three.
halfastros81
AG
If you saw Louisiana Tech play basketball this yr you may not be laughing at the prospect. Their best player was a freshman (Kenny Lofton Jr - not related to the football player) at 6 ft 7 , 276 lbs. I suspect Rueben Fatheree is in much better shape than him. Lofton created some match up problems.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Laughing is a (more than a) bit strong. If it works for all involved (which is rare), go for it. But it would be unusual for a guy that big to play D1 hoops. He's, what, a solid 40 pounds heavier than Lofton, who is himself unusual?
halfastros81
AG
30 lbs if you believe their listed weights . Fatheree looks a lot trimmer to me in a basketball uni. A lot
More muscle is my conclusion.
bobinator
AG
I'm not saying he can't do it, but he'd be an exceptionally rare athlete to be able to pull it off. I imagine how the football staff will want him to build his body would be basically the opposite of the basketball staff.

That said, we're probably going to be so thin in the paint that even if all he can do is throw some dudes around for a few minutes and give us five fouls that might be a worthwhile contribution on next years team.
EliteZags
AG
halfastros81 said:

If you saw Louisiana Tech play basketball this yr you may not be laughing at the prospect. Their best player was a freshman (Kenny Lofton Jr - not related to the football player) at 6 ft 7 , 276 lbs. I suspect Rueben Fatheree is in much better shape than him. Lofton created some match up problems.

is Kenny Lofton the fooball player related to Kenny Lofton the baseball player?
Ulrich
Honestly, letting a redshirt tackle spend some time on the basketball court doesn't sound too bad to me. Footwork, balance, agility, and fast twitch muscle can all be developed in basketball. Keeps him with D1 coaches all year, too.
Pumpkinhead
AG
halfastros81 said:

Was thinking about this in light of our roster shortages, Is Reuben Fatheree going to play basketball at A & M?

Marcus Williams
Andre Gordon
Hassan Diarra
Jevonte Brown
Aaron Cash
Quenton Jackson
Ethan Henderson
Wade Taylor
Manny Obesaki
Ashton Smith

Buzz needs to hopefully add 1 more PF/big wing type IMO who could immediately contribute some decent minutes next season, but if that is all he did and then entered the season just having those last 2 spots filled with some developmental looks/good practice bodies, then okay. Your typical basketball season only goes maybe 9 to 10 deep down the roster anyways.

Now a football player like Fatheree wouldn't even count against the hoops scholarship limit, so if the kid wanted to give it a go and Buzz thought he was a good chemistry fit, I don't see why Buzz wouldn't say 'sure'. It would be a free body.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Has Buzz ever let a football player play basketball for him before? If he is so strict about going through all the pre-season practices, I'm not sure how a kid could do that with football practice going on and all. Buzz definitely seems to have his rules and expects that everybody on the team plays by them so couldn't see him letting a football player slide and not have to go through them.
DTP02
AG
mazag08 said:

We should be able to do insta-portal.

We could go into Rupp, look at whichever Parade All-American hasn't made it onto the floor 10 minutes into the game, and tell them they'll play the rest of the game for us if they portal right then and there.

Equipment managers would have to be on their game, with different number and size jerseys available.
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

Quote:

halfastros81 said:

It's a good point you make. James Lofton was the HOF football player I was thinking about. Best I can tell Jr is unrelated to either him or Kenny Lofton, the former MLB baseball player.

Dang, meant to reply to Elite Zags.
bobinator
AG
He was here when Martellus was here so even if he hasn't done it he's at least been around it happening. I wouldn't think the lack of preseason stuff would be the biggest issue. I think everyone would understand that he's with the football team and that wouldn't effect the team chemistry any.

The real issue is just whether or not he's good enough and whether what he needs to do on a strength and conditioning side is going to impact him too much in football.

Quite a bit of difference in the strength and conditioning programs for a tight end (which is much more common) versus an offensive tackle.
DTP02
AG
Fatheree isn't a high-major basketball prospect but he's good enough to help a team like ours which doesn't have much bulk inside.

But I'm not sure that I want my OT to be able to make it thru boot camp. An OT needs to carry extra weight, and in different places, than a basketball player does. OT is also a highly technical position which takes time to master, especially for really tall guys. His future is much brighter in football and playing basketball would hurt his development too much for the relatively small role he would likely play on the basketball team.
Ol Jock 99
AG
^^^
Ding ding
bobinator
AG
I don't even know that he would help much, but I haven't seen him play.

I just always go back to Martellus, who was a really good basketball prospect, and if he couldn't make it work (he played hoops but he wasn't much of a factor), then I just assume it's unlikely that anyone else can either. And he played a much more basketball-friendly position.
Basketball and Chain
AG
halfastros81 said:

That kid was a stud at Port Arthur Memorial. He was unstoppable on the block. Had really good footwork and post moves for his size.
halfastros81
AG
I was very impressed . He's not just big.... he's fat.... but he moves very well and has hoops skills.
Pumpkinhead
AG
DTP02 said:

Fatheree isn't a high-major basketball prospect but he's good enough to help a team like ours which doesn't have much bulk inside.

But I'm not sure that I want my OT to be able to make it thru boot camp. An OT needs to carry extra weight, and in different places, than a basketball player does. OT is also a highly technical position which takes time to master, especially for really tall guys. His future is much brighter in football and playing basketball would hurt his development too much for the relatively small role he would likely play on the basketball team.
Even if Fatheree wanted to do it and Buzz was fine with it, yeah, the football staff would also have to be on board with it. It is their scholarship that Fatheree is using.
EliteZags
AG
halfastros81 said:

Quote:

Quote:

halfastros81 said:

It's a good point you make. James Lofton was the HOF football player I was thinking about. Best I can tell Jr is unrelated to either him or Kenny Lofton, the former MLB baseball player.

Dang, meant to reply to Elite Zags.

oh James Lofton, I think he's the cousin of Kenny Lofton the rockstar
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.