Sahvir Wheeler (Georgia) has entered the Transfer Portal

4,745 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured this deserved its own special thread.

Georgia Bulldogs' Sahvir Wheeler entering transfer portal, declaring for NBA draft (espn.com)

Quote:

Georgia sophomore Sahvir Wheeler, one of the best passers in the college game, announced Tuesday that he will enter the NCAA transfer portal and will also declare for the NBA draft while maintaining his collegiate eligibility.
"I decided to declare for the NBA draft because of the success I had individually this year. I am hoping to get in front of NBA personnel so they find out more about me and what I could bring to an NBA franchise," Wheeler told ESPN. "I entered the transfer portal at the same time to evaluate all my options as I try to determine my path of realizing my dreams of winning at the highest level and playing in the NBA. For most people, there is a direct correlation between the two."
Wheeler was a second-team All-SEC selection after a productive season in which he averaged 13.9 points, 7.3 assists and 1.7 steals for Georgia. He ranked first in the SEC in assists and fifth nationally.

Dominion Caracas Branch
He is coming home. Everything will be fine now.
Double Diamond
The sky is falling.
Gap
AG
An opportunity to be re-recruited after Buzz told him no thanks in mid-April after formally taking the job and bringing in his own point guard over Wheeler. Wheeler's parents had already moved to College Station after losing their house in the Houston flood that Fall. Sahvir's options at that late date were Georgia and Iowa St.

How long will disrespecting the son of an influential high school and AAU coach in Houston impact Buzz's Houston high school recruiting for top players? Seems just too much arrogance in your backyard of Houston has been harmful.
bobinator
AG
Wheeler is about as close to being drafted by the NBA as we were to the 2020 NCAA Tournament.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

An opportunity to be re-recruited after Buzz told him no thanks in mid-April after formally taking the job and bringing in his own point guard over Wheeler. Wheeler's parents had already moved to College Station after losing their house in the Houston flood that Fall. Sahvir's options at that late date were Georgia and Iowa St.

How long will disrespecting the son of an influential high school and AAU coach in Houston impact Buzz's Houston high school recruiting for top players? Seems just too much arrogance in your backyard of Houston has been harmful.

Buzz was a new coach who never recruited Wheeler to College Station, so implying Buzz should have wanted Wheeler because his family had moved to C.S. Is a bit much. The new coaching staff was under no such moral obligations to Kennedy's staff.

With Marcus Williams, Wade Taylor, and Diarra on the roster, you already got three lead guard types on next season's roster. Adding Wheeler would be too crowded and not make sense for either party really.

I suspect somebody has already been in the Wheeler's ear and 'poached' him. And the Wheeler family still lives in East Texas (CS or Houston)? What is Sampson's situation at PG at Houston?
Gap
AG
Wheeler isn't considering coming back here.
Ag_EE_88
AG
I wonder if a BMA is putting up the money to get him back.
bobinator
AG
You seem to think 'BMA's have a lot more to do with our basketball program than I do.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

Wheeler isn't considering coming back here.
I would think not. Why would you give any consideration to a college coach who never recruited you out of HS, or when he took the job wanted to keep your LOI? Plus, A&M doesn't need more lead guards on next year's roster anyways, from the Aggies perspective. It needs at least one more good SF/PF type to try to mitigate somewhat Miller's departure.
Ag_EE_88
AG
I don't but some people do.
Gap
AG
Wheeler's two finalists look to be SEC schools (obviously not A&M as Buzz burned that bridge).
aggiejohn
AG
Gap,

We get it. You hate Buzz.
Will you please let it go? Fixating on this negativity is not healthy.

-Everyone on the basketball board
Gap
AG
aggiejohn said:

Gap,

We get it. You hate Buzz.
Will you please let it go? Fixating on this negativity is not healthy.
I posted 2 factual statements. Nothing negative unless your feelings take it there.

And for the record, I like Buzz. With that, I do think he has made some significant mistakes in his 25 months at A&M and it is OK to opine about those mistakes and discuss them on a forum about A&M basketball.

And don't open the thread if you aren't interested in the topic. See how this works.

I have a "Aggie basketball good news thread" if that is what you want to hear. I haven't posted anything negative on it.
_lefraud_
AG
I'm more concerned about Gap's fixation with Wheeler. He's an average, undersized point guard that can't score on a bad team...maybe he works with Wheeler's father?
Gap
AG
So I'm sharing information here with people so unplugged they don't know who Wheeler's Dad is? And they are try to take shots at me.

I didn't start this topic on Wheeler, but I do have info to share on it that I'm guessing you don't. If you don't want the information, don't look inside the topic.

FYI - He is a Houston high school and AAU basketball coach.
LawHall88
AG
At this point, another PG isn't our biggest need, and Wheeler for all his talent isn't a great shooter (40% overall, 23% from 3). He is best served going to a team where he can focus on running the offense and leaving the scoring to others, which means he wouldn't be a good fit for us anyway.
Gap
AG
LawHall88 said:

At this point, another PG isn't our biggest need, and Wheeler for all his talent isn't a great shooter (40% overall, 23% from 3). He is best served going to a team where he can focus on running the offense and leaving the scoring to others, which means he wouldn't be a good fit for us anyway.

I absolutely agree with that. PG is likely our readiest position. From Gordon to Diarra to Taylor. Those are the guys we wanted. All of them were primary options at the position.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

LawHall88 said:

I absolutely agree with that. PG is likely our readiest position. From Gordon to Diarra to Taylor. Those are the guys we wanted. All of them were primary options at the position.

And Marcus Williams, who is a lead guard type and may very well even be a starter this next season. I liked Wheeler when recruited him, though I was leery of his size, but frankly if you made me choose between Marcus Williams and Wheeler right now...I would be more intrigued by and lean towards Williams.
Gap
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Gap said:

LawHall88 said:

And Marcus Williams, who is a lead guard type and may very well even be a starter this next season. I liked Wheeler when recruited him, though I was leery of his size, but frankly if you made me choose between Marcus Williams and Wheeler right now...I would be more intrigued by and lean towards Williams.
I forgot about Williams when discussing the PG above. I loved his film too.
Double Diamond
Do not care where this kid goes or why Buzz didn't offer. Who freaking cares.
Aston04
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Gap said:

LawHall88 said:

No brainer you take Williams all day. Has size to get his shot/play multiple positions/shoots better %.
Aston04
AG
Double Diamond said:

Do not care where this kid goes or why Buzz didn't offer. Who freaking cares.
It is at least interesting to see where he goes. Also, with Buzz's mention about recruiting Texas harder- perhaps lost AAU connections related to Wheeler or other BK recruits he wasn't interested in is worth talking about...

Double Diamond
It's a big AAU scene. One undersized guard isn't going to be the reason Buzz can't land Texas kids.
_lefraud_
AG
Right, which is what Gap is referring to.

But the fact is, Buzz didn't want Wheeler two years ago, even with the potential AAU ties to Wheeler's father. But for some odd reason, people can't move on from this. Odds are that relationship would have gone south once Wheeler arrived and not gotten his preferred minutes.
Gap
AG
Wheeler has been "too small" all his life to do what he loves. He had to take coaching and just always try to be better than his peers who were taller and longer. He didn't go anywhere in college with preferred minutes. He didn't even expect to start as a freshman. He wasn't born with a NBA body and isn't entitled because of it. He isn't a just roll the ball out kind of talent. He has always had to outwork people. I think he was the ideal Buzz guy, but I don't make those determinations. And it is not relevant anymore.

Here is a list of who he was talking to. As I mentioned earlier, I heard the two SEC schools in there were his finalist but that was about a week ago and in the current world that could have changed.

Gap
AG
I hope we land an assistant with strong Texas ties to fill McNeilly's open assistant spot. The Canada pipeline probably wasn't the best long-term solution with so much talent close by and we have the opportunity to address that now.
_lefraud_
AG
Agree 100%. More than enough talent in Texas.
DeangeloVickers
AG
This is who I would go after for coach:
https://oruathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/russell-springmann/324
LawHall88
AG
Crean said Wheeler is leaving Georgia because he wants to play "closer to home." Technically, Baton Rouge and Stillwater are closer to Houston than Athens is.

greg.w.h
AG
Limiting us to the Texas basketball players is fine if he wins. Otherwise it's nonsense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.