Aggie Basketball Good News Thread

6,999 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is time for some good news that is going to change the current trajectory of the program after this past covid season dominated by cancellations and underperformance. I don't know what that news is going to be, but it has to be out there somewhere and maybe even soon.

Too many downer threads regarding our program at this time. We need something to look forward to. Something to change the current narrative.

As they occur, feel free to place those rumors and confirmed items here regarding the new and positive things going on in our program. Things like Buzz statements on where he is taking us, new assistant coaches, new players, development of old players, etc.

Tobias Funke
AG
I like this. This thread is good. Thanks Gap.

First bit of good news is this year is over and now we never again have to worry about the "What If" of Baylor winning a major national championship before we do.
AgEfan
Positivity isn't really your brand. So this feels like you had ulterior motives.
Gap
AG
AgEfan said:

Positivity isn't really your brand. So this feels like you had ulterior motives.
I'm a fan and have been caught up in the downward cycle of news. I've got to get out of the negative cycle. Instead of being upset that a transfer is going somewhere, I'm eager to see who we bring in. It is just hard right now because so little news is out there about what we are doing, it has me assume the worst, but that can't possibly be the reality.

Buzz has a good track record. He has to be recruiting like his hair is on fire to bring in impact players to turn this boat around. If we are losing an assistant, then that is also an opportunity for some positive change too.
Hop
Staff
AG
I'll take the bait. Sure, there are many questions still unanswered so I'm not charging up that hill into battle with the Buzz flag.

But in all of the recent gloom and doom, people forget that a Top 50 national guard and a Top 100 point guard along with an under-aged Top 50 sophomore guard who didn't have an offseason will come online next season...not to mention a Top 100 post transfer and a Top 150 power forward.

It's not like the roster isn't improving. Trading in Flagg, Chandler, and Marfo for Obaseki, Taylor, and Brown-Ferguson is a net positive. Yeah, they still need a couple of good transfers and a sharpshooter, but there is incoming talent and young talent.
Artimus Gordon
The fact that we are moving on from BK's recruits to Buzz's recruits has to be a positive. And it doesn't hurt to change out asst coaches after the 2nd year!

BK's best teams were when he had Rick Stansbury as an asst!
bobinator
AG
I'd add that no news is pretty typical of Buzz also. Seems like it took four years for all of the assistants to become official. But also, If you're not cynical of Buzz's bits, and really do believe that he wants to recruit a certain type of personality and that sort of thing, then it isn't that surprising that it's going to take us longer to sort through the transfer portal. Combine that with the fact that a lot of teams better than us are also filling holes, then you get where we're at.

Also I think people don't realize how highly rated a recruit Obaseki is. He's the highest rated guard, and the second highest rated player overall, we've ever recruited (in the online rankings era.)
Pumpkinhead
AG
The good news...Buzz Williams is A&M's coach. If he was able to get a program eventually rolling at a place like Virginia Tech in the ACC, he will be able to do the same at A&M in the SEC.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Hop said:

I'll take the bait. Sure, there are many questions still unanswered so I'm not charging up that hill into battle with the Buzz flag.

But in all of the recent gloom and doom, people forget that a Top 50 national guard and a Top 100 point guard along with an under-aged Top 50 sophomore guard who didn't have an offseason will come online next season...not to mention a Top 100 post transfer and a Top 150 power forward.

It's not like the roster isn't improving. Trading in Flagg, Chandler, and Marfo for Obaseki, Taylor, and Brown-Ferguson is a net positive. Yeah, they still need a couple of good transfers and a sharpshooter, but there is incoming talent and young talent.
Need more background on the new guys . But thanks for this good news !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
MarcAg
AG
Jackson was a guy that we all thought Buzz would want to come back for another year. The fact he hasn't announced portal plans or plans to play overseas I think is encouraging. I really expected him to have a better year than he did this past year. Game 1 was great and we wanted to see more of that. So maybe this coming year will be what we expected from him this year.
Gap
AG
Transfer from Arkansas

Ags #1
AG
His numbers are stout
Artimus Gordon
Ethan Henderson!

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2021/apr/10/ethan-henderson-commits-texas-m/

Hop
Staff
AG
More possible news on the way this afternoon. Not 100% concrete yet, but rumor mill seems to think A&M may get somebody today. We shall see.
Hop
Staff
AG
Georgia, NC St., and A&M are all distancing themselves from this scheduled announcement. Starting to wonder what is going on behind the scenes. Trying to figure it out.
MarcAg
AG
What does that mean "distancing themselves"? Like backing off acting like they decided they don't want him?
phorizt
UVA wins out? Everybody else, "we didn't want him anyway".
Method Man
We didn't have a short Walkon that got lots of minutes this season.
Hop
Staff
AG
MarcAg said:

What does that mean "distancing themselves"? Like backing off acting like they decided they don't want him?

That usually means buying more time. Telling sources they aren't pushing for him at the moment.

He had planned over a week ago that he'd make his commit announcement on Sunday, and he didn't make that announcement. So yeah, I think some of his options were taken off the table at the last second.
Gap
AG
Signed a juco player today:

LawHall88
AG
Gap said:

Signed a juco player today:

"Coach (who is your current coach)." Strange name for a coach, or anyone else for that matter.

We need better proofreaders.
Gap
AG
We picked up the guard from Wyoming who really blossomed as a freshman there.

I really like getting guys like this who have so much ball left to play in college as they will become a program foundation instead of just a quick fill for a year.

Ag_EE_88
AG
We have more interest in the basketball team now than we did during the season based upon the current forum activity.
TxAg76
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

We have more interest in the basketball team now than we did during the season based upon the current forum activity.

There's something worth discussing now
AggieTFA06
AG
TxAg76 said:

Ag_EE_88 said:

There's something worth discussing now
Our basketball team was non-existent for a month and when it did exist, it mostly was an embarrassment. Any good news is welcome.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Class of 65
AG
Well two more quit today
monarch
S
Good news...I'm still going to renew my season tickets!
Peace for Ukraine!
Gap
AG
Rated as a 4 star out of high school and now transferring from Duke. Definitely good news for the 'good news" thread!

LawHall88
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

Rated as a 4 star out of high school and now transferring from Duke. Definitely good news for the 'good news" thread!

Ranked #55 national recruit in the 247 composite in 2020 HS class. High 4 star. 6'8" 240 lbs.
AggieTFA06
AG
I'm bumping because I like this good news.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Gap
AG
Top notch pick up from St. Joe's:

Artimus Gordon
BAS65 said:

Well two more quit today

Who quit?

The team needed an overhaul and I like what I am seeing with the incoming transfers!

Stories about the team being seen in northgate or at parties and not being able to stay out of the Covid protocol for the entire month of February sure seemed like much of the team didn't want to be here and was going to take off after the season anyway!

So be it! Let's find some guys who want to play!
greg.w.h
AG
You need a new Jim West you say??
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.