As of 4:30 today - 1,000 transfers

4,475 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
An even 1,000 transfers have declared. In 2020 there were a total of 1,026 and 991 in 2019. That's the trend.

fwiw, former Yates guard Jacob Young is transferring again... Texas --> Rutgers --> ??
wacarnolds
AG
That's insane! Those highly compensated coaches and athletic departments have their work cut for them managing this process going forward.
Ag Eng 92
AG
It's not just coaches. Athletic departments can't keep up with all of the academic paperwork needed to track all this stuff. Every leaving player has to have all their school work documented so they can leave in good standing, and then every potential incomer has to have their work evaluated. It's nuts, and athletic departments are having to add academic staff to manage these processes.
Method Man
Bad for the game overall but kids should be able to do it.
MarcAg
AG
Is it really that many? There are over 1000 NCAA men's basketball schools.
bobinator
AG
Portal is just D1 right?
wacarnolds
AG
Method Man said:

Bad for the game overall

Maybe. The low-majors are getting robbed of their talent, but I doubt that's what you meant.

It seems to have given the non-traditional powers at the P5 level a different avenue to building a strong program. And it appears to be a healthy, efficient way to shape up a roster that otherwise might have no open spots. Everyone seems to be ok with guys that aren't contributing leaving, but now it's bad for the sport if it's happening everywhere simultaneously?

And even if you disagree with all of that, I don't know if you could argue the game was in better shape 5-10 years ago. I'm not sure if the NCAA even knows what it wants to be or is supposed to be in the 21st century, but it wasn't clear that the sport was in great shape prior to the transfer portal phenomena.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

Portal is just D1 right?

No
bobinator
AG
Then I'm surprised there aren't even more
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

Then I'm surprised there aren't even more

Now it might not include Div3. It for sure includes D1 and D2. That's over 700 schools in D1 and D2. D3 has about 450 schools.
Rocinante
With the extra year of eligibility granted this year, the total isn't really comparable to previous seasons.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pretty clear that The days of building a competitive roster mostly just through a HS recruiting pipeline are over.

If you don't become adept at navigating the Transfer market then you are going to be at a significant competitive disadvantage.

This year is especially wild because seniors can return with an extra year and everybody is expecting to be granted immediate eligibility (graduating senior or not).

This year more than any other, teams have an opportunity to completely reboot their roster in a single offseason.
rlb28
AG
MarcAg said:

Today's number is 1,026 and that is Division I only - 350 schools
expresswrittenconsent
rlb28 said:

MarcAg said:

Today's number is 1,026 and that is Division I only - 350 schools

The numbers would be a lot more relevant and have more meaning if we weren't in a covid year where every existing d1 player got a free extra year of eligibility and the ability to transfer. The data from this year is corrupted.
rlb28
AG
not caring too much about the relevance. just wanting to see how crazy the numbers are in the covid year. ability to transfer has always been there, right?
expresswrittenconsent
Gotcha. I guess the part of the OP where you compare this to 2019 and 2020 is what confused me.
Fairview20
AG
Good point. Guys like Savion and JayJay in any other year would have been out of eligibility, but this one off rule gives them an opportunity to play a 5th year. Definitely a lot more like them too.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
I know dozens of people who graduated from a college they didn't start their Freshman year.
Tobias Funke
AG
EarlCampbellsThighs said:

I know dozens of people who graduated from a college they didn't start their Freshman year.

Very relevant
Iowaggie
AG
Would be interested in the number of available slots D1 teams have available. Like in football, I'm sure there will be plenty of kids thinking their going to find greener pastures but end up going NAIA or D2 or nowhere because things fillup
rlb28
AG
Texas Tech kids transferring out - Micah Peavy, Marcus Santos-Silva, Kyler Edwards

TCU's Jaedon LeDee from Houston Kinkaid is gone
Dominion Caracas Branch
I heard from horn friend that Peevy's dad is going to tu (he is a texas HS coach) so I would bet he goes to Austin.
dallasiteinsa02
Dominion Caracas Branch said:

I heard from horn friend that Peevy's dad is going to tu (he is a texas HS coach) so I would bet he goes to Austin.
Beard should at least have some class and not raid tech of their players too.
rlb28
AG
1,200 transfers as of today

UH getting a senior transfer from UCONN. Josh Carlton, 6'11 post who had minutes and statistics decrease this year. Scored 9 ppg and 8 ppg as soph and junior.

only avg. 3 ppg and 3 reb this year.
Iowaggie
AG
1400 was just what NY Times updated the number to.
About 30 percent of the players on all 357 Division I men's programs
Faustus
NM
Method Man
Karma isn't real
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

Karma isn't real
It is when your karma runs over my dogma!!!
Faustus
Method Man said:

Karma isn't real

I was just being tongue in cheek. I know it's hokie.
Artimus Gordon
Flagg played the season like he was bound for the portal! So that is no surprise! Doesn't hurt the program that jay jay is looking around too.

No doubt losing miller hurts, but if the asst Coach that got him here is leaving, should it be that surprising? It may set us back a year, but so be it!

I am much happier with buzz at the helm than BK and am willing to let these roster issues work themselves out over the next year or two!

I think rick stansberry had as much to do with the sweet 16 appearances as BK did! Rick leaves and the program starts to regress then BK gets let go!

Method Man
Faustus said:

Method Man said:

Karma isn't real

I was just being tongue in cheek. I know it's hokie.

You're great, old friend.
rlb28
AG
1,389 as of this morning
Wicked Good Ag
Artimus Gordon said:

Flagg played the season like he was bound for the portal! So that is no surprise! Doesn't hurt the program that jay jay is looking around too.

No doubt losing miller hurts, but if the asst Coach that got him here is leaving, should it be that surprising? It may set us back a year, but so be it!

I am much happier with buzz at the helm than BK and am willing to let these roster issues work themselves out over the next year or two!

I think rick stansberry had as much to do with the sweet 16 appearances as BK did! Rick leaves and the program starts to regress then BK gets let go!

What if McNelly was the reason for Buzz success everywhere he went.??
DukeMu
Pumpkinhead said:

Pretty clear that The days of building a competitive roster mostly just through a HS recruiting pipeline are over.

If you don't become adept at navigating the Transfer market then you are going to be at a significant competitive disadvantage.

This year is especially wild because seniors can return with an extra year and everybody is expecting to be granted immediate eligibility (graduating senior or not).

This year more than any other, teams have an opportunity to completely reboot their roster in a single offseason.

Coaches will have to spend much of their time

1. poaching players from other teams

2. bribing their players not to be poached.

The Year of Residency when transfering was established for a reason, folks. This is OG Academia.
Iowaggie
AG
It's already mentioned that some of these players aren't going to find another D1 landing spot and when either be in D2, D3, NAIA or back elsewhere. Even the grad transfers still have to get accepted into an actual program, and the 2.45 GPA someone graduated with isn't going to get accepted at all schools.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.