Should we be a better team next season

4,708 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by halfastros81
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry for my ignorance

I admit I don't know much about the new guys coming in. I also admit I've dialed out and wrote off this season.

6 new players coming in, correct?

Should we realistically be an improved team next season?

Good enough to match our 10-8 season last year?

What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance!
Pumpkinhead
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Sorry for my ignorance

I admit I don't know much about the new guys coming in. I also admit I've dialed out and wrote off this season.

6 new players coming in, correct?

Should we realistically be an improved team next season?

Good enough to match our 10-8 season last year?

What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance!

Very high chance will be better. At minimum, We got a 7-footer transfer who will be the most impressive physical specimen in terms of size and wingspan that we will have had here since Deandre Jordan. seems almost certain to be an upgrade over what we had in the post this year. Low bar to exceed but he'll almost certainly exceed it by sheer physical characteristics alone.
Wicked Good Ag
I think we will much improved but that may move us just to the middle of the pack in SEC
Captain Pablo
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

I think we will much improved but that may move us just to the middle of the pack in SEC

Well, that may be good enough

A sign Buzz is digging out

I usually think a new basketball coach needs just 3 years

COVID, nothing to work with, and a great track record ....

I'm willing to give Buzz 4 before I start grumbling
MarcAg
AG
Yes we are upgrading the talent. Next year will be better with McNeilly, Taylor, Obaseki, Brown, Smith and Scott joining the team. Robinson will have some experience under his belt (remember he should be a HS senior) and so I expect him to be better. Miller will be better by having more threats on the court. Gordon I think will be a contributor again as he has been our 2nd best guy probably this year.

McNeilly, Taylor and Obaseki can all handle the ball, they can create and distribute, they can get to the bucket and they can all probably shoot better than our guys. I'm not saying Taylor and Obaseki come in and are stars (or even starters), but they are a different type of player and will help. Diarra better work his butt off in the offseason or I don't see him having much of a role in the future.

Brown basically has to show up healthy and he is an upgrade over Aku and Marfo as it doesn't take much. He isn't a star, but he can catch a ball and has at least decent athleticism.

The Juco kid Scott looks to be a nice swiss army knife kind of player. Scrappy, can handle the ball decently for his size, can shoot decent for his size, above average athletically.

I like Ashton Smith a lot. He is a monster on the boards and can finish at the rim. He is expanding his game to where he can shoot it from the outside. I think he might need a year to be a key piece though. But in time he will be a real nice player for us.

I really think 2022-2023 is the year you look for the run.
WestHillsAg
AG
Is McNeilly related to Choo Freeman ?
bobinator
AG
Our roster is going to be a lot better so even if guys don't improve much I think we'll be better, but combine that with what is probably going to be a much more regular off-season and I expect we'll be a lot better.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

Our roster is going to be a lot better so even if guys don't improve much I think we'll be better, but combine that with what is probably going to be a much more regular off-season and I expect we'll be a lot better.

Agree. I really only see Miller, Robinson and Gordon being the only guys playing this year that are key pieces in 2 years. Next year TBD based on how ready Taylor and Obaseki come in.
BrandoC
AG
Who knows. I want to say yes but honestly Buzz has not knocked recruiting out of the park since being here.
MarcAg
AG
BrandoC said:

Who knows. I want to say yes but honestly Buzz has not knocked recruiting out of the park since being here.

This 2021 class is really really good. 2019 class with Miller, McNeilly Gordon and Jackson was solid.
bobinator
AG
BrandoC said:

I think the opposite? Considering how bad we are and how many good teams are around us, I think we've recruited really well so far. Not sure what you're expecting if back to back top 25 classes don't do it for you.
PatAg
AG
I think it's reasonable to expect more in our 2nd year from a Coach with Buzz's history. Doesn't mean he is failing either.
wacarnolds
AG
MarcAg said:

Agree. I really only see Miller, Robinson and Gordon being the only guys playing this year that are key pieces in 2 years.

Diarra should be a solid rotation player down the road. And I think it's too early to write off the other freshmen, especially during such a weird year. Odds are good one or more end up transferring in the future, but I think each guy still has a chance to grow into a contributor as the program improves overall.
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

MarcAg said:

Agree. I really only see Miller, Robinson and Gordon being the only guys playing this year that are key pieces in 2 years.

Diarra should be a solid rotation player down the road. And I think it's too early to write off the other freshmen, especially during such a weird year. Odds are good one or more end up transferring in the future, but I think each guy still has a chance to grow into a contributor as the program improves overall.

Diarra has played in only 15 games in D1 in a super weird and interrupted schedule. Agree, I think it is way too early to 'write off' any of the fish.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I like Diarra and I think Hefner has a role if he can either add weight or become a really high level shooter.

If Diarra isn't a core player in a couple years it probably means we're really good.
old yeller
AG
Never apologize for your ignorance
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Diarra has played in only 15 games in D1 in a super weird and interrupted schedule. Agree, I think it is way too early to 'write off' any of the fish.

Even if Diarra's shot doesn't develop (and I think it can), he'll still be able to bring a physical presence to the perimeter and complement more offensive minded guards
Captain Pablo
AG
wacarnolds said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Even if Diarra's shot doesn't develop (and I think it can), he'll still be able to bring a physical presence to the perimeter and complement more offensive minded guards

We need scorers
bobinator
AG
Diarra probably isn't going to be a guy that scores a lot, but he's going to be a guy that helps other guys score a lot. If he could just tick his three point shooting up to about 35% or so that would probably be good enough. He just needs to be good enough that the defense has to account for it on screens.

Diarra is probably a little Caruso-esque on offense where the better the players around him are, the better he's going to be.
MarcAg
AG
I'm not saying Diarra sucks, I'm just saying we are bringing in more talented guys. McNeilly, Taylor and Obaseki are better at everything on the offensive end. So Diarra has some work to do and I'm sure he knows it and the staff will make sure he knows it.
wacarnolds
AG
Captain Pablo said:

wacarnolds said:

Pumpkinhead said:

We need scorers

Obviously. But that doesn't mean there isn't a role for complementary guys in the rotation.
bobinator
AG
It's also not the way this game works. You know this obviously, but we don't "need scorers" we "need to score." It's not like we can just hand pick the best players in the country here.

What we need is depth, and skill sets that fit together.

For example, you can have a point guard that isn't a shooter at all, but that means your other perimeter players have to be above average shooters. You can have bigs that don't score, but they need to be really good at creating space and getting offensive boards. You can have shooters that can't dribble, but that means your other perimeters players have to be above average ballhandlers. etc, etc.

It's all about complementary skills and depth to give you options. Right now we don't have much of any of those.
DTP02
AG
We should be a lot better next year. The most unfortunate thing about what amounts to a lost season for us is that some of our young guys won't grow as much as they should have, and instilling the culture and cohesion is still a work in progress.

We won't be as far along as we should have been in year 3, but everything should be improved, pretty much across the board.
MMantle
AG
Could we be any worse ?

RR
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
Do the basketball players get a free extra year like the football players did?
bobinator
AG
Yes
MarcAg
AG
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious said:

Yes, but honestly I'm not sure we really try to talk any of the seniors into staying. Turn the page.
DTP02
AG

Yes. This will come in handy when Cash McNeilly finally suits up for us and gets to play alongside his son. Will be very heartwarming.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
We should be a much improved team next year,but because numerous games were cancelled, some of our young guys won't grow as much as they would have in a normal season. Also, instilling the culture and cohesion will continue to be a work in progress.I am expecting us to match our 10-8 SEC record from last year.
WestHillsAg
AG
DTP02 said:

Yes. This will come in handy when Cash McNeilly finally suits up for us and gets to play alongside his son. Will be very heartwarming.
Hilarious !
buppy
Can't get any worse than this season
DeangeloVickers
AG
McNeilly played high school ball with Dario Quesada
Stone44
AG
We have to be better next year. This year has been embarrassing.
Stone44
AG
Next year has to be better. This year has been embarrassing.
Ag_EE_88
AG
We have to be better next year. I don't see how there is any way that we can be the same or worse and keep Buzz.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.