More info on the program pause

11,629 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DukeMu
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

JPAggie2010
AG
It's just hard for me to understand what is happening here. We haven't played a game in 21 days. Even if the whole team quarantined for two weeks after the first case, shouldn't they be in the clear by now? Or at least have 7 who are good to go?

Do we know what their protocol has been? I feel that going this long without a game as a player, I would be super careful to make sure we can play.

I am also worried that because of the way this season has already been going and the lack of games, the team is probably pretty demoralized. I hope they are keeping their spirits up for when they return to the hardwood.
jja79
AG
Talking to some kids that were at Northgate last weekend I believe the talk about them being there. If so that's pretty damning and begs the question who is in charge?
jja79
AG
greg.w.h
AG
I am disappointed, but the circumstances are extraordinary. Hopefully we play more and the team keeps gelling with the coaches. Currently those two things happening seems the best path forward to me.

I'll note that isn't what I thought would happen this year, but then again I didn't expect both a public health emergency and a weather catastrophe these past 12 months, either.

I do think the current situation is affecting our athletes and putting enormous pressure on all of them. Some seem better grounded than others, but everyone needs and will require some freedom to figure out personal responsibility for themselves. Right, wrong, or indifferent most of us learned that way, too.
agfan2332
Just an opinion, but it seems as though some guys saw the way things were going in the season and has kinda said screw it they are going to enjoy being a college kid.
TMF
AG
agfan2332 said:

Just an opinion, but it seems as though some guys saw the way things were going in the season and has kinda said screw it they are going to enjoy being a college kid.

Sure looks like it. Are we the only program that lost control of covid? Program sucks and sure looks like a joke.
bobinator
AG
No.
wacarnolds
AG
TMF said:

Are we the only program that lost control of covid? Program sucks and sure looks like a joke.

#3 Michigan just had a 23 day break because of covid
#2 Baylor will is going 3 weeks between games
#1 Gonzaga missed 2.5 weeks

Things suck enough as is without fans disparaging the players and staff's commitment to playing.
@coopercuffe
It's Kennedy's recruits that were there ... they show no leadership and reflect the usual type of character. Glad to see them gone next year.
Gap
AG
@coopercuffe said:

It's Kennedy's recruits that were there ... they show no leadership and reflect the usual type of character. Glad to see them gone next year.
That bulls.

Name names if you know them. There were players from every class that have been out from freshman to seniors.
agfan2332
I can understand missing a couple of games, but missing almost an entire month is a problem inside the program. I think the issue at Baylor is flat out ridiculous especially when you have a team that could win it all this year. It doesn't make sense how some programs get a grasp on how to get the situation under grasp and how it gets completely out of hand.
wacarnolds
AG
agfan2332 said:

It doesn't make sense how some programs get a grasp on how to get the situation under grasp and how it gets completely out of hand.

On any given day, there are about 10 million active cases in the US. It's an airborne disease that we still don't fully understand.

Anything other than a truly isolated bubble like the 2020 NBA season and you're basically rolling the dice on the potential for an outbreak in any particular population.
agfan2332
At some point though, people have to be held accountable. Players knew they were going to have to sacrifice this year and I would say a lot of programs have done a good job with the incidents they've had. Yes this is a crazy year, but outside of states getting in the middle of games being disrupted due to politics, it gives off a bad look to fans.
wacarnolds
AG
agfan2332 said:

At some point though, people have to be held accountable.

How about hold yourself accountable and have some realistic expectations about trying to resume a normal life during a pandemic. Anything less than full-blown chaos is a blessing.

Maybe things don't work out as everyone hoped. Tough ****, that's life when a disease is running wild across the country.
expresswrittenconsent
It's weird because agfan spent a decade defending Kennedy, but NOW accountability is important.
Method Man
A pause for the cause!
jja79
AG
Kennedy isn't in charge anymore. Quit blaming him. The guy in charge is responsible for the GAF attitude.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Not ranked:
Duke
UNC
Kentucky
Louisville
UCLA

Kansas just barely slipped into the Top 25 this week.

Maybe it's just a weird year.
Texas A&M
It's almost like they don't want to play.
@coopercuffe
Not true on the younger guys , it's the older guys. For example, Savion Flagg hosted a party tonight. It's the older guys who don't care and choose a good time over focusing on basketball, much like all the recruits of the Kennedy era.
bballcoach
What evidence do you have or is this fake news?
Tavares19
AG
We're still blaming BK for how the current players handle their lives in a pandemic? This board never fails to amaze me
Proposition Joe
Ol Jock 99 said:

Not ranked:
Duke
UNC
Kentucky
Louisville
UCLA

Kansas just barely slipped into the Top 25 this week.

Maybe it's just a weird year.

All of those teams are usually ranked and we are not.

Therefore shouldn't we be benefiting from this "weird year" ?
Gap
AG
@coopercuffe said:

Not true on the younger guys , it's the older guys. For example, Savion Flagg hosted a party tonight. It's the older guys who don't care and choose a good time over focusing on basketball, much like all the recruits of the Kennedy era.
Some advice to you, don't pretend to know something and present it as fact that you don't.

A group of basketball players was out at Northgate last weekend that included freshmen to seniors. My eyes saw them. If you weren't in Northgate, don't pretend to know things that you don't and say it was only seniors. Your statement is simply and totally untrue.

Another item and this applies to my statements here as well for those reading them, I don't know who has and has not had covid on our team. Every player out may have already had it and they may be perfectly fine right now socializing as much as they want. That is something I don't know.
bballcoach
Some people can speak & remove ALL doubt!
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

All of those teams are usually ranked and we are not.

Therefore shouldn't we be benefiting from this "weird year" ?
I'm a disappointed in our quality of play as the next guy, but am simply saying it doesn't necessarly mean that we are having giant or unusual problems.
JPAggie2010
AG
I noticed this too the other day and was trying to think the last time all the blue bloods were unranked
Ol Jock 99
AG
JPAggie2010 said:

I noticed this too the other day and was trying to think the last time all the blue bloods were unranked
I believe the mid 1960s. Group of buddies and i were talking about it and one researched.
greg.w.h
AG
It's a weird year...and just now to the point where Covid-19 was being reported in Kirkland, WA last year. I drove out to Portland with my daughter and hubby and visited with my parents in Vancouver, WA and my sister and her husband, daughters, and mother-in-law in Seattle and actually looked for work in Portland before everything went crazy. Seems like forever ago.
agfan2332
HAHA! You must have the wrong guy there buddy because I'm the furthest thing from a Kennedy backer you will find. If I said anything positive about him, I'm sure it was warranted from him but I argued he should have been ousted as the coach here for years.
agfan2332
Coaches and kids across the country were begging to play this year because it was important to them to get the season in after having it cut short last year. I think most people expected that at some point there was going to be a Covid case pop up in each program and that's not my issue.

My biggest question in this whole matter is, how does a program let it get so out of hand that it causes a full month of games to not be played? Why is it more important at Vanderbilt and South Carolina that they are sacrificing to stay healthy and they are in the bottom of the conference? They each had pauses but have come back to make sure they get their games in.

Yes this whole season is wild and weird, but players and coaches knew going in they had to make choices for a few months to make sure games got played and I think that is what frustrates people because of optics. Nobody is mad someone got Covid, but the length of time that programs are out can still be head scratching.

Look at Baylor. The #2 team in the nation right now has played 1 game this month and now is in their 2nd huge pause of the season and is about to cancel this week's worth of games as well. To me, that's a program problem and they aren't being held accountable because they can use a pandemic as an excuse.
94chem
greg.w.h said:

It's a weird year...and just now to the point where Covid-19 was being reported in Kirkland, WA last year. I drove out to Portland with my daughter and hubby and visited with my parents in Vancouver, WA and my sister and her husband, daughters, and mother-in-law in Seattle and actually looked for work in Portland before everything went crazy. Seems like forever ago.

You have a hubby?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
greg.w.h
AG
94chem said:

greg.w.h said:

You have a hubby?
my daughter and her hubby.
Hop
Staff
AG
Gap said:

@coopercuffe said:

Some advice to you, don't pretend to know something and present it as fact that you don't.

A group of basketball players was out at Northgate last weekend that included freshmen to seniors. My eyes saw them. If you weren't in Northgate, don't pretend to know things that you don't and say it was only seniors. Your statement is simply and totally untrue.

Another item and this applies to my statements here as well for those reading them, I don't know who has and has not had covid on our team. Every player out may have already had it and they may be perfectly fine right now socializing as much as they want. That is something I don't know.

So what is the distancing protocol at local bars and clubs? And are those protocols followed on a Saturday night at 1:00AM.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.