Do we owe BK an apology?

18,162 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Repeat the Line
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2 Sweet 16s in 3 years is impressive.
wasntme
No.
ColoradoMooseHerd
No
expresswrittenconsent
SEATAC Aggie said:

2 ncaa trips in 8 years is terrible.

FIFY
Artimus Gordon
Not only NO, but Hell No!
pantherag
AG
Absolutely NOT!! Good troll OP.
CapCityAg89
AG
I liked BK and appreciate what he did for us but no. He got paid (well!) to do a job. Was not nearly consistent enough at it. And needed to be replaced.

A&M is a bad basketball school though and not an easy place to win. Buzz is the perfect guy for this job but we are an odd combination of no history, no support and sky high expectations.
bobinator
AG
Good post except for the expectations. We have very low expectations. There's like eight of us that think our program has long term potential if we ever can keep a good coach, but the fact that BK didn't get us to the tournament until year five and then got a wild extension on top of that is proof of our lack of real expectations as an institution.
bv86ag
AG
I think the majority of BMA's don't give a rats azz about basketball.
Which, ironically, should take pressure off Buzz as it's not microscopically scrutinized like the football program. Buzz will be good for the program if given time and not subjected to unrealistic, immediate gratification hordes that seem to rule the internet and do more harm than good.
Let the man recruit and leave him alone for 3 or 4 years...then folks can more accurately see what this program will look like long-term.
But calling for Buzz to be canned...or even expressing buyers remorse when he is not even 2 seasons into this job is just stupid.
It's as if a bunch of whiners want to run our athletic department into the ground to the point where no coach would want to come here.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Billy Kennedy got 8 seasons at A&M and was paid millions of dollars.

So no, nobody owes him any apology. Kennedy was treated VERY fairly by Texas A&M, and at the end it was a totally understandable move given the inconsistency of his program to grab Buzz Williams...who was willing to come and had a clearly better resume and track record.

Class of 65
AG
From what I see WE will not even see the playoffs much less the sweet 16
William_C_G
AG
Give Buzz time. He will get it done.
txag72
AG
Yes, except for running off Alex Robinson!!!!
OldAg68
AG
Nice man, but don't think so.
SilverTongueDevil
It was generous (and very typical) of the administration to keep him employed after year 3. He did have a nice recruiting class that enable him to have some success in years 5&7 and I give him credit for that. But his coaching was simply awful. We were very fortunate to have the miracle and against UNI and we got blown out by OU and Michigan when those teams were talented enough to go ever further.

Buzz is a far superior coach to BK. But......we need to see Buzz to a much better job of talent acquisition.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
FTAG 2000
AG
He got four more years than he should have, and got paid millions of dollars for it. I think if anyone owes an apology, it's him.
greg.w.h
AG
A good NCAA coach goes annually AND has deeper runs. A great coach also takes teams to the F4 and beyond. There is no doubt Texas A&M has settled over the years with merely okay coaching.

The facilities are there to succeed. The question is who will do that and stay. The hope is the locals will turn out if that happens and that supports local enthusiasm when the team is good. It has happened in the past but not consistently. And inconsistency so far in play has been reflected in attendance. Then that leads to excuse making by all.

It's fascinating Buzz simply deflects audience building responsibilities and focuses on the team. His stated belief is that someone will want to watch his teams because they appreciate basketball. We saw enough last year to believe that but are struggling with the necessary squint to bring the picture in focus this year.

There is no doubt that Buzz isn't a Calipari and Texas A&M isn't Kentucky. The question is who Buzz is as a recruiter and in this week's press conference he admitted the incoming team members weren't here this summer. I think we need to just be hopeful that this year allows next year to feel more regular and to permit Buzz to do what he has done elsewhere.
Mikeyshooter
AG
BAS65 said:

From what I see WE will not even see the playoffs much less the sweet 16

Insert Jim Mora Playoffs gif
halfastros81
AG
Who's WE Kemosabe'?

I think he was treated fairly. I think he was a really great guy but just an average coach. His entire tenure was tough because of the Parkinson's issue. Not anyone's fault.

I also think we will look back as soon as a year from now and shake our heads at those that doubted Buzz.
Aston04
AG
SEATAC Aggie said:

2 Sweet 16s in 3 years is impressive.
So impressive that a directional Louisiana school passed up hiring him.

So dumb. The tenure looked at a whole was bad. Even the 2 good teams underachieved given the talent. Stop it.
Wicked Good Ag
I was never really in BKs corner. But to throw out he got paid millions of dollars so no apology then what do you say about Buzz getting a lot more for less impressive results?? I give a coach time to get his players and system in place and then see how he does so I am not bashing Buzz at all but I find the argument that we paid him millions when every coach at this level gets that amount but we pay Buzz over 60 percent more than Kennedy got paid and Buzz is not even but three games over .500 here. Will he better than that. I think so but who knows. I think we made a good hire but time will tell. But this school getting to 2 Sweet 16s either with Kennedy or in spite of Kennedy depending upon you position is still pretty damn well better than our history tells us we are
Method Man
HOT TAKE ALERT
Method Man
Are Buzz's first years as good as BK's?
MarcAg
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

I was never really in BKs corner. But to throw out he got paid millions of dollars so no apology then what do you say about Buzz getting a lot more for less impressive results??

Less impressive results? Did you forget Kennedy's first years??
mcag83
AG
Are we talking about Bobby Knight here???
Method Man
We should extend him another four years with no buyout.
Maroon Dawn
AG
No

He needed to be fired far sooner than he was

That said Buzz needs to start earning his checks because he is a huge disappointment so far
old yeller
mcag83
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

No

He needed to be fired far sooner than he was

That said Buzz needs to start earning his checks because he is a huge disappointment so far

MD....the politics board misses you. Please go back to them.
Wicked Good Ag
Method Man said:

Do you count the year he didn't coach due to illness ??
MarcAg
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Method Man said:

Wasn't it like one game? And sure we can take that win away from him if you want.
expresswrittenconsent
Wicked Good Ag said:

Method Man said:

He missed zero games. He took off one week before the season. Love how the BK club just makes crap up.
MarcAg
AG
He missed the season opener I think.
Ag_EE_88
AG
We owe him an apology for not firing him or reassigning him sooner. It would have had allowed him to spend the time figuring out how to live with the disease and then be able to get back to doing his best at coaching when he was ready. It was wrong for us to force him to work and try to deal with the disease at the same time. It would have been more appropriate to pay him and/or move him to a position where he could adjust.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

We owe him an apology for not firing him or reassigning him sooner. It would have had allowed him to spend the time figuring out how to live with the disease and then be able to get back to doing his best at coaching when he was ready. It was wrong for us to force him to work and try to deal with the disease at the same time. It would have been more appropriate to pay him and/or move him to a position where he could adjust.
And by sooner, I'm talking about reassigning after year 1.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.