College b-ball in Texas

11,697 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Goose
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor 2
UTx 4
Tech was in the championship last season
TCU just killed us.

We have some work to do to catch up to these guys. In Buzz I trust.
George Costanza
TT is even at #18 this year ... and UofH is #11.
bobinator
AG
Yeah you missed Houston and even SMU is probably better than we are right now.
Method Man
Yeah I did.
old yeller
AG
We beat Tarleton
Maroon Dawn
AG
We are pretty much bottom of the barrel right now of the power conference teams

Not impressed at all with Buzz so far
bobinator
AG
At all? We had a winning conference record his first season which is something we'd only done 2 of the last 8 seasons prior.

I get not being overly impressed, but you weren't impressed with last season's improvement at all?
Maroon Dawn
AG
Tired of "watch the improvement" and "watch a fun team" "watch a young team grow"

They're all just euphemisms for a team that's not winning any titles, hardware or a deep run in the dance

And this current team is an abomination
Aggies2009
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Tired of "watch the improvement" and "watch a fun team" "watch a young team grow"

They're all just euphemisms for a team that's not winning any titles, hardware or a deep run in the dance

So you make a thread ****ting on the baseball team and they promptly go to Omaha.

You make a thread ****ting on the football team and they promptly turn the Orange Bowl around and win it.

If I were a betting man, I'd put tons of $$$ on our basketball team to turn the season around.
HotardRat
AG
Maroon Dawn exposed
Aggies2009
AG
Aaaaand there's a big win. Don't tell me the season is about to turn around on a big road win ala LSU in 2017?
Ol Jock 99
AG
We should have hired Buzz several years earlier. The turnaround isn't going to be immediate.
BarryProfit
Aggies2009 said:

Aaaaand there's a big win. Don't tell me the season is about to turn around on a big road win ala LSU in 2017?

MissSt is a big win?
_lefraud_
AG
Yes, winning a league game on the road is tough, winning a league game on the road as an underdog is a "big" win.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, it's not a huge win, but it's definitely a big win. Any road conference win, especially against someone that isn't Vandy or Georgia is a big win.
Double Diamond
This is why I have learned to get off the boards. Not impressed with Buzz.

Buzz Williams is the most proven basketball coach A&M has ever hired. Buzz is one of the most proven coaches A&M has ever hired in any sport.

Things haven't taken off as fast as we all would want. However, the idea this isn't going to work is nuts.
GoAgs92
AG
Beating the 77th ranked team by 1 is huuuuge!

Wins a win.
Shoefly!
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

So you make a thread ****ting on the baseball team and they promptly go to Omaha.

You make a thread ****ting on the football team and they promptly turn the Orange Bowl around and win it.

If I were a betting man, I'd put tons of $$$ on our basketball team to turn the season around.

I think it is Maroon Dew she's shtick. He craps on all threads. He wants everybody to be as miserable as him.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

We are pretty much bottom of the barrel right now of the power conference teams

Not impressed at all with Buzz so far

You're not paying attention. What he did last year was impressive. Little bit of a rough start this year but you you can see that he is constantly pushing and teaching, and the team is getting better.

You are going to see a big leap next season. I feel pretty confident in that.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
And... I'd add to that... if you are going to crap on a coach partially through his second season, then you should forfeit the right to celebrate with him when he's dancing in the future.
Method Man
Buzz is a good coach and we should give him time to build his team. He's not a Josh Pastner that's gonna get five star and waste them
Maroon Dawn
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

How's regional Rob done since he lucked into Omaha through better teams falling to worse ones?

How's the season going since that magical win over Mississippi freaking State?

Sounds like you're the one who has no clue what's going on
NyAggie
AG
Team is unwatchable at this point

Give buzz a little time to get things going
stallion6
AG
NyAggie said:

Team is unwatchable at this point

Give buzz a little time to get things going
Good post. I think there is frustration that we see other programs in Texas having success and don't understand why we can not match it. Hopefully Buzz will bring improvement to the point we can discuss if we are ready to compete for championships. Right now we all wonder if we will have more turnovers than made shots.
bv86ag
AG
You're not going to turn this program around in only 1 season and a few games.
In fact ...it won't even get turned around for a couple more years.
Buzz is not the miracle worker everyone was praying for.
He's a good coach...but it will take time.
A&M is not Duke.
People need to quit acting like Buzz was going to bring instant success.
If you don't have the patience ...then just stop watching...cause it aint gonna happen this year.
Buzz is good. But you gotta have the talent...just like any other athletic endeavor.
Everyone nowadays always wants instant gratification...and college sports teams take time to build...especially if you're not known as a "basketball" school.

AggieHoopsGuy
AG
I believe in Buzz but I think it is going to take some time.

For starters, the region is saturated with quality programs and coaches right now so recruiting isn't easy. We are competing against Beard up in Lubbock, Scott Drew in Waco, Shaka + new facilities in Austin, Sampson + new facilities in Houston, Will Wade $$$ in Baton Rouge, and TCU/SMU both have decent programs right now as well.

Patience is key here. This isn't going to be a one and done program and in the long-run that is a good thing. Buzz recruits for system fit and most of his players will be on campus for four years. I fully expect his teams to be competing for NCAA tournament births once his recruits are upperclassmen (year 3 or 4). Playing with experienced juniors and seniors is how we will compete and beat the premiere basketball programs in the SEC and beyond.

Facilities, facilities, facilities. Reed Arena is as good as stale bread right now. Renovations are a near term must for this program. Regional hoops rivals such as UT and UH are playing in brand new basketball facilities. I know a lot of people on this board do not like when the basketball facilities get brought up, but I'm sorry, if UH has far superior facilities than us, that is a problem.
Maroon Dawn
AG
"Just Be Patient"

"Just wait till he gets his guys for his system!"

"Just wait till his guys are seniors in the system"

"Just wait till he gets these new recruits for the system!"

"Just wait till these recruits are seniors in the system!"

"Just be patient!"

God we're already back to the Kennedy excuse cycle
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
So what is your suggestion? Fire Buzz after year two?

You don't dump a coach with a good track record after two seasons. I'll start worrying after year 4.

If Buzz can find a way to get the talent that Billy Kennedy got on campus, we will win multiple SEC Championships. Recruiting was never issue for Billy Kennedy. Billy recruited well and then rolled the ball on the court and said go play. Buzz runs a system and it is going to take some time. If you watch the games, you can see that the defensive side of the ball is there for Buzz but the offense is very much a major work in progress.
HotardRat
AG
Maroon Dawn back on his bull ****
rwtxag83
AG
UH doesn't have far better facilities than us. Their arena is newer, but smaller. Sure, the concourses are probably nicer, but the seating doesn't exactly leave Reed in the dust. The players rarely see the concourses anyway. That is a fan experience issue,
not a quality on the court one. The practice facilities, locker rooms, and training facilities are not a bit nicer than ours.

tu is building a nicer venue right now. No question. It'll be one of the nicer ones in all of college hoops.

Reed is approaching 30 years old. It'll be time to take a serious look at expansion or replacement about the time that Buzz is in his 4th year and the program is starting to really click. Until we can fill it up with some degree of regularity, replacing it or any major rework is going to be a hard sell, unless a donor or group of donors step up big time with the bulk of the $$$$ needed. When Buzz has the program hitting on all cylinders, that will be much easier.
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
The Fertitta Center and UH basketball facilities are superior to A&M's facilities. I support both programs and it's really not a question. Sure the practice facilities and locker rooms are comparable but the Fertitta Center blows Reed Arena out of the water. And yes Reed holds more fans but for what? Most of those seats are empty if we are not playing Kentucky. If a recruit attends a game at both venues, odds are they are going to have a better experience at the Fertitta Center.
bobinator
AG
Feels like when we're comparing our facilities to UH's then something is off the track.
rwtxag83
AG
If a recruit attends a game at Reed, and Buzz has our team playing at a very high level against top competition, and Reed is packed to the gills with the 12th Man rocking, that recruit is going to remember the atmosphere inside Reed and the game experience more than the venue. Any shortcomings of Reed that you perceive won't matter compared to the game atmosphere.

UH has a relatively new facility. Of course it's going to look nicer. I'll grant you that, but the look of the empty arena is probably not the most important factor in most recruits minds.

Cameron Indoor Stadium isn't particularly impressive as a basketball facility, but it doesn't keep Duke from being successful. Anybody who sees a game there will tell you it's the atmosphere the crowd generates that makes it memorable. Recruits say the same thing.

Baylor plays at the Farrell Center, and it's a dump compared to Reed, but I don't think average Joe hoops observer would believe their facilities have kept them from high level recruiting or competition/results.

Reed is not keeping us from being great as a program. I'd like to see something better, but it's not going to happen anytime soon without some big cigar alumnus suddenly and unexpectedly writing a huge check, or Buzz getting us in a sustained high level, multi season run to get the attention on updating Reed. That would have been the case BEFORE Covid19 hit. Now, you'll need at least 2 normal years added to any hypothetical timeline just to get us back to 'normal' financial footing.

Sgt. Schultz
AG
AggieHoopsGuy said:

The Fertitta Center and UH basketball facilities are superior to A&M's facilities. I support both programs and it's really not a question. Sure the practice facilities and locker rooms are comparable but the Fertitta Center blows Reed Arena out of the water. And yes Reed holds more fans but for what? Most of those seats are empty if we are not playing Kentucky. If a recruit attends a game at both venues, odds are they are going to have a better experience at the Fertitta Center.
Build this and connect it to the south side of the McFerrin Center.

Seats 8700 and was built for basketball. Put some modern concourses and NO suites. The game should be the focus. That way when the usual 5000 show up, the building will have some energy because its over half filled. In our history, I think we have had only had 3 seasons where we averaged over 9000, so 8700 seems like a good number. If we get good again, the place will be the place to be and students will camp out again, regularly.

Reed can be used for concerts, trade shows, and graduations.
I know NOTHING!!!!
Faustus
Sgt. Schultz said:

AggieHoopsGuy said:

Build this and connect it to the south side of the McFerrin Center.

Seats 8700 and was built for basketball. Put some modern concourses and NO suites. The game should be the focus. That way when the usual 5000 show up, the building will have some energy because its over half filled. In our history, I think we have had only had 3 seasons where we averaged over 9000, so 8700 seems like a good number. If we get good again, the place will be the place to be and students will camp out again, regularly.

Reed can be used for concerts, trade shows, and graduations.
Probably shouldn't mention the no suites thing when asking the BMAs to cut a check for the new arena.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.