*****Aggies vs. Tarleton State*****

16,850 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LawHall88
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why would being in the WAC be better than the Southland?
_lefraud_
AG
In the Southland, Tarleton would just be another (of the many) Texas schools, which I think could be harder to recruit against. There's also less teams to compete against in the WAC.
bobinator
AG
I think the recruiting thing cuts both ways. Parents being able to see more games in person would be a big draw in a conference where your games aren't all on easily-accessible TV like a major conference. Also it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to be in the Southland so you could spend more money on recruiting rather than on traveling all over the western United States for games against teams nobody has ever heard of.

Also you could build up rivalries which sells tickets and that sort of thing.

For me it's not even close that if they could, they'd rather be in the Southland.
_lefraud_
AG
You have some fair points.

But I don't think BCG will recruit Texas like you may think. I think he will go the JUCO route, transfer, etc. So playing close for parents sake doesn't matter all that much.

Also, in the Southland, I'd imagine most games are traveled by bus. Getting on an airplane and going to California might interest a recruit.

I'd argue a rivalry between Tarleton and New Mexico State would be better than any potential rivalry Tarleton might have with a school from the Southland.
bobinator
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I'd argue a rivalry between Tarleton and New Mexico State would be better than any potential rivalry Tarleton might have with a school from the Southland.
They already kinda have a rivalry with Abilene Christian right?

I dunno, I think you're right that there are some advantages to the WAC, but I'd think for a school like Tarleton the travel savings alone from being in the Southland would make up for everything else.
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

Interesting enough, Tarleton won't be eligible for March Madness until 2025.

Didn't know that. Is this a standard for a team coming into Div 1? 5 yrs is a really long time. That flat out sucks and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
reddirtgigem
Coming at you guys from a Tarleton Alum's perspective:

The WAC decision was made because of multiple attempts to join the SLC for over a decade and getting told no every time.

Also made because the WAC is all about adding football to the conference menu by trying to attract other schools due to their (not so known) grandfathered BCS/ D1 FBS clause.

There has been numerous speculations about what the WAC is doing to increase membership... example: sway Sam Houston, SFA, Lamar, ACU, and possible other Texas D2 members like WTAMU or Commerce to join.

FACTS: Sharpe and the Board of Regents want the A&M System brand to be the number 1 brand in the country. How do you do that? Through Athletics exposure like the TCU model and go from there. They have already agreed to build a $70 million arena/events center. Just completed Stadium renovation, field house in progress. Adding Soccer and possible other sports very soon. It is a neat time to be a Texan Alum... just in a sit an wait on the additions to the WAC.
greg.w.h
AG
Sharp definitely sees his legacy as the entire system and has been very active in strengthening the brand. I knew he was involved in the Tarleton upgrades and we heard rumors regarding BCG previously. The good news is that an integrated system can work more effectively to serve the system than standalone schools.

I'll leave it at that.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think Sharp has focused way too much on the mothership campus in College Station, but that's for another day and another discussion and another board.
TXAggie2011
AG
As far as the WAC, I guess I can see how Tarleton believes it can be more competitive there, which will help build the "brand."

However, building on what Bobinator said, they're going to play a lot of games a thousand miles away and no one in Texas is going to be able to watch them.

As far as adding football, I think they'll have a big scheduling issue if they try to do that. The rules are confusing, but my understanding is that in order to reclassify to FBS, you have to schedule a minimum number of games against FBS teams...and you can't count games against another school that's reclassifying until year 2 of that school's own process.

So, basically, they'd essentially have to act like independents for a year and then join up in Year 2.

PJYoung
AG
rlb28
AG
LawHall88
AG
PJYoung said:

Tarleton replacing Gonzaga with Baylor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.