Last former A&M head basketball coach to win in CS as a head coach?

1,250 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mdanyc03
William_C_G
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, Kermit Davis as the Ole Miss coach beat the Ags in an away game in 2019.

But can anyone name the last former A&M head basketball coach to come back to College Station as the head coach of an opponent and beat the Ags?
bobinator
AG
Looks like Hub McQuillan at TCU in February of '44?

That's a good factoid.
czar_iv
AG
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
William_C_G
AG
Bobinator! I knew if anyone could figure that out, it would be you! My research on the Internet showed it was Hub McQuillan in January 1946. But you may have access to a better source than I do.

While researching that, I wondered once again why Bob Rogers left A&M in 1963 after several years of considerable success (especially compared to his predecessors) and never coached again. The internet has no answer to that question.
greg.w.h
AG
" A 1942 graduate of Stillwater (Okla.) High School, Rogers received his bachelor's and master's degrees from Oklahoma A&M. He earned a pair of letters playing for legendary coach Henry Iba, averaging 4.5 points over his 48-game collegiate career. Rogers coached at Connors Junior College in Warner, Okla., before taking over at East Texas State. Following his successful coaching career, he worked as an insurance industry executive in Texas and Oklahoma."

https://blog.chron.com/big12/2006/05/former-am-basketball-coach-dies/
William_C_G
AG
Greg w.h.,
Thank you for that answer. In today's world, he would have earned so much more as a coach.
bobinator
AG
46 is probably the last time, I stopped looking after he did it in '44. One thing trying to find this reminded me is how much worse College sports websites seem to have gotten.
William_C_G
AG
Hopefully the record of futility by former A&M head coaches will continue tonight. But Kermit will likely be a legit threat in 2021-22 (we play Ole Miss in Oxford this season if the season continues).
Pumpkinhead
AG
I was thinking of asking "Can anyone name the last former A&M player to return to CS as a player and beat the Aggies?", but that one should be super easy and not nearly as long ago as 1946
CDub06
mdanyc03
AG
Sorry I'm blanking.... who is it?
fatdad84ag
AG
I'm guessing Admon.
expresswrittenconsent
mdanyc03 said:

Sorry I'm blanking.... who is it?
admon gilder
DukeMu
William_C_G said:

Greg w.h.,
Thank you for that answer. In today's world, he would have earned so much more as a coach.

Even John Wooden earned next to nothing in the early to mid-60s. $25,000 (allegedly) through 1975.

DukeMu
No teams have ever worked harder and hustled more than BCG's 2005, 2006, 2007 squads.

Expect the proverbial 120% effort - amps turned up to 12, not 11. The bluebloods at KY and boneheads at tceh couldn't handle the demands, then neither could Billy. Glad he's now found a better place and the road back.
mdanyc03
AG
Ah sorry. I misread the post and was thinking a player returning as a coach. Thanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.