Story Poster
Texas A&M Basketball Recruiting

Power Forward Ashton Smith commits to Texas A&M Hoops

October 31, 2020

The Texas A&M basketball program added another piece to the 2021 recruiting class on Saturday when 6-foot-9 forward Ashton Smith‍ announced via Twitter that he committed to Buzz WIlliams and the Aggie staff. 

Smith played his junior year at Aldine Nimitz but has transferred to Legacy The School of Sport Sciences in Spring to join the fast-rising nationally-elite high school basketball program for his senior campaign. He was scheduled to play with EYBL program Houston Hoops this past spring and summer. However, the pandemic put an end to his national coming out party with Houston Hoops before it began.

Ranked by both 247Sports and Rivals.com as a three-star prospect, Smith was primed to make a big jump in the national rankings this summer after a breakout junior season with Nimitz. 

“I’ve grown a lot over the past year or two. I was 6-foot-8 last year, and I’m 6-foot-9.5 now. I was smaller than that my sophomore year,” Jackson said. “My mom is 6-foot-5. My dad is 6-foot-6, and my grandfather is 6-foot-9, so I’m still growing. The doctor thinks I’ll end up around 6-foot-11.”

Smith is extremely athletic and runs the floor well, and he has the power to control the paint. He recently added a credible outside shot to his game. As a result, Smith received multiple offers from teams like Houston, Syracuse, Seton Hall, Virginia Tech and Nebraska. Texas A&M’s offer came later in September but was an offer he was hoping to receive.

“The A&M offer was a game-changer. They are one of the best programs in the state and the country. I love the culture there. Coach Buzz and the staff do things the right way.
- Ashton Smith

“The A&M offer was a game-changer. They are one of the best programs in the state and the country,” Smith said. “I love the culture there. Coach Buzz and the staff do things the right way. I play with the same philosophy — work hard and play hard. They like their big men to run the court and make plays, and that’s what I do.”

If anybody doubts Smith’s hardcourt pedigree, both his father and mother played college basketball (UH, North Texas) and his uncle played for Jim Boeheim at Syracuse. His grandfather, Lucious Jackson, was the fourth overall pick in the 1964 NBA Draft and started alongside Wilt Chamberlain to win the NBA championship in 1968.

Smith joins point guard Wade Taylor‍ and shooting guard Manny Obaseki‍ in the 2021 Texas A&M recruiting class. The Aggies still have two available spots, and the staff is still pursuing several prospects, recently offering JUCO center Sydney Curry‍.

Read more analysis of what Smith adds to the A&M program from Logan Lee and watch my conversations with Smith and his coach.

Discussion from...

Power Forward Ashton Smith commits to Texas A&M Hoops

10,728 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EliteZags
Rutedown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hell yeah! Buzz is going to win us an NC in the near future
agtrevino07
cageybee77
AG
Whoop!
Aston04
redjalapeno-87
Big man. We need them.
mcag83
GDP
I have not seen him play in person but I can definitely say his highlight reel is way better than 3 star !! Looks like a great pickup for Buzz.
wlc61
AG
His grandfather's name brings back a lot of memories.
wlc61
EliteZags
AG
can't tell if he can even dunk
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.