Billy Donovan not renewing with OKC Thunder

2,644 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LawHall88
kalltamu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Billy Donovan isn't renewing with the OKC Thunder. I'm curious if he will go for another position in the NBA or if he'd come back to college basketball. I don't know that he would take over a school in NCAA trouble but if he would there is a chance that LSU, Kansas, or Arizona could be open and they might actually get rid of their guy if they thought they could replace them with Donovan. I realize LSU doesn't fit with those other two outside of NCAA trouble.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/thunder-announce-billy-donovan-will-not-return-as-coach-after-two-sides-agree-to-part-ways/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/billy-donovan-ok-city-thunder-college-2020/
Matsui
AG
Won 60% of nba games. Did a heck of a job and would crush the college Game again if he desired. I hope he doesn't go back to the sec.
wacarnolds
AG
I believe he was not a fan of the recruiting process and I'd expect him to pursue other NBA jobs
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

I believe he was not a fan of the recruiting process and I'd expect him to pursue other NBA jobs

Yeah, he seemed really burned out on the college game when he left.
Jevertson
AG
As a Spurs fan, there arent many candidates I'd be ok succeeding Pop. I think Donovan would be one. He does more with less.
miller0926
AG
Matsui said:

Won 60% of nba games. Did a heck of a job and would crush the college Game again if he desired. I hope he doesn't go back to the sec.

And I hope he does. Those high NET games are important to have on the schedule.
nbbob
Thunder fan here. The talk is he wants another NBA job - Philly or Chicago have been mentioned. Billy definitely has his strengths but he also can be quite frustrating. I'd say CP3 was more instrumental in our "success" this year versus Billy.
GrayMatter
AG
nbbob said:

Thunder fan here. The talk is he wants another NBA job - Philly or Chicago have been mentioned. Billy definitely has his strengths but he also can be quite frustrating. I'd say CP3 was more instrumental in our "success" this year versus Billy.
Donovan and Budholzer are kind of similar coaches; they can get their teams to the playoffs, but cannot seem to take their teams to the promise land. He's a decent enough coach to build a team though; he'll probably land somewhere soon. I don't think he'd leave amicably if he didn't already have a landing place in mind.
wacarnolds
AG
GrayMatter said:

nbbob said:

Donovan and Budholzer are kind of similar coaches; they can get their teams to the playoffs, but cannot seem to take their teams to the promise land. He's a decent enough coach to build a team though; he'll probably land somewhere soon. I don't think he'd leave amicably if he didn't already have a landing place in mind.

Coaches don't get teams to the promised land. Hall of Famers, preferably multiple playing next to each other, that can put the ball in the hoop come crunch time do.

I think coaches can be difference makers, but there are probably 2 or 3 of them in the league at any moment.
war hymn aggie
AG
If Buzz had not been hired, I'd have given my eye teeth to hire BD as our head basketball coach.

I have no doubt that he will be a proven winner If he decides to return to an NCAA school.
DukeMu
nbbob said:

Yeah - I'd bet Philly.
expresswrittenconsent
war hymn aggie said:

If Buzz had not been hired, I'd have given my eye teeth to hire BD as our head basketball coach.

I have no doubt that he will be a proven winner If he decides to return to an NCAA school.

He's done more in the ncaas (2 titles, 4 final 4s) than any current ncaa coach (K and Roy Williams excluded).
wacarnolds
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

war hymn aggie said:

He's done more in the ncaas (2 titles, 4 final 4s) than any current ncaa coach (K and Roy Williams excluded).

Great coach, but I'd put Calipari over Donovan. BD's 2 titles is better than Cal's one, but it should be acknowledged that the 2 titles are the result of the same team winning back-to-back. That's a notable accomplishment but really more of an anomaly of a particular group of guys forgoing the NBA route after dominating at the college level.

Cal has 6 Final Fours (at 3 schools) over 4 (at 1 school), a perfect regular season, 12 SEC regular season + conference tourney titles in 10 seasons vs BD's 10 combined in 19 seasons
expresswrittenconsent
I forgot Richard Pitino is back in the NCAAs (iona) and he would like a word with me as well.
_lefraud_
AG
Cal only has 4 final fours, all at one school
Craigy
war hymn aggie said:

.I had my eye teeth extracted as a kid, so I got you covered.
greg.w.h
AG
If there wasn't a strong suspicion (discussed here) that Donovan might not care for college recruiting he would be a get. But we have a coach and he's a lot of fun. Good coaching plus entertainment for the win!!!
LawHall88
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.