Cancel Rupp

3,050 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by McInnis80
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The faculty of the University of Kentucky's African American and Africana Studies program has asked UK president Eli Capilouto to change the name of Rupp Arena because the legendary basketball coach's name "has come to stand for racism and exclusion" and "alienates Black students, fans, and attendees."

In addition to removing Rupp's name from the UK basketball arena in downtown Lexington, the faculty requested that names of "enslavers, Confederate sympathizers, and other white supremacists" be removed from campus buildings as well.

Among other changes, the AAAS faculty asked that the entire university be required to take a course on race and inequality and asked for increased Black representation and increased support for Black students. "These actions will alter the institutional realities concerning racism on our campus and move us toward racial equity -- not just diversity and inclusion -- in our community."

"These actions will demonstrate that Black lives truly do matter at the University of Kentucky."
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29525237/some-kentucky-faculty-want-name-arena-named-former-basketball-coach-adolph-rupp-changed
DeangeloVickers
AG

wacarnolds
AG
Elston Turner Arena
greg.w.h
AG
" Since its opening in 1976, it has been the centerpiece of Central Bank Center (formerly Lexington Center), a convention and shopping facility owned by an arm of the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government, which is located next to the Lexington Hyatt and Hilton hotels."
rwtxag83
AG
Ummm, yeah, how bout no.
rwtxag83
AG
Think about it. For UK, this is akin/equivalent to asking us to get rid of Sully. I'm not drawing a bigotry comparison here because I don't see any evidence of LSR as bigoted, just pointing out that Rupp is THE central figure of the cornerstone of UK's basketball foundation and identity.

Somebody, somewhere is going to have to start drawing a line in the sand over this cancel culture. Every single historical figure/icon everywhere on the planet was human, and therefore had flaws. You don't get rid of the icons because of their flaws. They were memorialized because of the accomplishments they brought. Nobody is even attempting to highlight these people's flaws and/or shortcomings as some kind of positive, or as some kind of weapon to continue to oppress anyone today.

Getting rid of historical icons does nothing positive for people living with/around their memorials. Do the Jews want to burn down Dachau or Auschwitz because of what happened there? Quite the opposite. They are living touchstones to bad parts of history, and they serve to keep alive and real the idea of how bad it was to people who are generationally separated from when it happened.
bobinator
AG
I don't really have a hot take on Rupp Arena because I don't know any of the history and facts, but there's a massive difference between a name on a basketball arena and a living reminder of a genocide.

If the German national team had to play in Hitler Arena then maybe that would be a good analogy.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Somebody, somewhere is going to have to start drawing a line in the sand over this cancel culture.
I think most folks have defined some lines. There's a line between honoring someone and preserving the history or memory of someone.

Like, I would be adamantly opposed to redacting his name from the record books.

Its less clear to me whether his name should be on the centerpiece on UK culture and the city of Lexington. None of his good, or bad, took place at Rupp Arena. He barely lived long enough to witness one season of Kentucky basketball at the arena.

My limited understanding of Rupp is that he was openly racist, although I admit I've not studied him in depth so maybe I don't understand him correctly. I also admit its can be difficult to decide whether some people---who accomplished good and perpetuated bad---deserve a particular honor or not.
monarch
S
Sam Bowie gym.
TyperWoods
A simple solution is a racial distribution proportional to the local racial distribution should be implemented for all attendees, clubs, and teams.

No race should be overrepresented or underrepresented by, say, 5%.

greg.w.h
AG
McInnis80
Sam Bowie gym? Would it always be closed for repairs?

The loss to Texas Western and the success of Louisville using local African American players convinced the Barron to start to recruit African American players. It took awhile, but Kentucky basketball finally integrated I don't think the Cats returned to the Final Four until Joe B. Hall took over the program, but I could be wrong. The Texas Western title was the one blip in the era of UCLA domination. This was Lew Alcindor's freshman year. I .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.