Battle 4 Atlantis

9,707 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MarcAg
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm assuming Battle 4 Atlantis gets cancelled this year. Wonder if they might shoot for that same field and invite them all back in 2022. I think we will be loaded in 2022 and would love seeing us battle Duke with the squad we will be fielding.

Sorry not much go this thread, but I'm bored and just pondering the future of Aggie hoops.
Hop
Staff
AG
We're 4 months away. There's plenty of time before a decision needs to be made. I think there's a decent chance basketball will be played in November.
PatAg
AG
zero chance
OasisMan
AG
Hop said:

I think there's a decent chance basketball will be played in November.
yup

but with fans there?
Method Man
Zero?
MarcAg
AG
I think it's probably 15% chance we have basketball in November. Probably 5 % chance we play a tournament out of country in a resort of people. I haven't cancelled my hotel just yet, but seems very doubtful.

January basketball I think is much higher percentage.
Hop
Staff
AG
The SEC is planning to play football this fall w/ 105 players and 30-40 staffers. You don't think it will be easier to test and monitor 15 players and 10-15 staffers...and they will start a month later than football.

The issue isn't if they play, but whether there are fans in attendance which I think is probably unlikely until conference play in January.
agfan2332
I think the biggest issue here is will schools want their teams traveling internationally to play in a basketball tournament.

Just my opinion, but I think they are probably better off playing the tournament somewhere state side. Plus, after all of this pandemic stuff I would be shocked if a majority of people that were going to go still do to try and save money.
Hop
Staff
AG
agfan2332 said:

I think the biggest issue here is will schools want their teams traveling internationally to play in a basketball tournament.

Just my opinion, but I think they are probably better off playing the tournament somewhere state side. Plus, after all of this pandemic stuff I would be shocked if a majority of people that were going to go still do to try and save money.

Well, it's the Bahamas. I'm sure the team can fly private and they can be separated pretty easily from the general population at the resort.

The biggest challenges for schools isn't the athletic activities. That can be managed. It's what the players do and where they go outside of their program's activities where they can't be monitored or managed.
Proposition Joe
There is almost no chance Atlantis happens.
MarcAg
AG
Hop said:

The SEC is planning to play football this fall w/ 105 players and 30-40 staffers. You don't think it will be easier to test and monitor 15 players and 10-15 staffers...and they will start a month later than football..

Many folks aren't as optimistic as you on football. Luicci said this week he gives college football a 30% chance of happening in the fall. Basketball might be easier to pull off as you mention because lot less players, but it also doesn't need to start in the fall. Some college basketball coaches have already come out saying they should go ahead and push to January start.
expresswrittenconsent
Hop said:

agfan2332 said:

Well, it's the Bahamas. I'm sure the team can fly private and they can be separated pretty easily from the general population at the resort.

The biggest challenges for schools isn't the athletic activities. That can be managed. It's what the players do and where they go outside of their program's activities where they can't be monitored or managed.

Yeah those last two bolded parts aren't counter to each other. And it sounds like you've been to Nassau sever times based on how familiar you are with the Atlantis resort's abilities to quarantine 8 full CBB squads (players, coaches, trainers, AD lackeys) away from their other 3800 rooms.
Hop
Staff
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Hop said:

agfan2332 said:

Yeah those last two bolded parts aren't counter to each other. And it sounds like you've been to Nassau sever times based on how familiar you are with the Atlantis resort's abilities to quarantine 8 full CBB squads (players, coaches, trainers, AD lackeys) away from their other 3800 rooms.

Yeah, they aren't counter to each other. When a player is with the program at team activities, especially on the road, his movements can be monitored and managed.

So I guess you can't keep a team/staff of 30 away others from a 25-30% filled 200 acre resort? You can give each team it's own floor/section with all of the empty rooms.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Planning on playing does not make it likely
fat girlfriend
PatAg said:

zero chance
I think indoor sports will be pretty much impossible until we get a handle on treatment or vaccine. But there is some chance that actually happens by winter.
Gap
AG
I'm watching summer highlights of players that will be coming into our program in the future that are playing right now and some of you "don't think we can play this season". Why are are y'all so eager to take the game away from kids who love it? Adults owe it to them to be motivated enough to figure it out instead of being unmotivated and indifferent.
MarcAg
AG
I'm pretty certain everybody here wants college football and college basketball in the fall. I'm also pretty sure what we want and also what we think carries 0 weight. So I don't think anyone of us are trying to cancel anything or taking anything away from these student athletes.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hypothetically, they allow games this fall but no fans. Odds There will still be threads complaining about attendance?
Gap
AG
Playing just isn't as difficult as many want to imagine. Those who want to play would be looking for ways to do so. What adjustments are needed? We actually know who the virus is dangerous for and who it isn't. We can no longer pretend extremely significant costs of the stifling of freedom and activity don't exist. Our species would not have have ever flourished with the attitudes I see now. I guess if you are already comfortable, then it is ok to freeze society and ignore those hungry for their opportunity.
agfan2332
Like Marc said, nobody wants to cancel anything. But conversations can be had on what adjustments might be made for THIS year. I fully believe 2021-2022 will be more normal
Proposition Joe
Some people keep continually mistaking what people think and expect to happen with what they want or think should happen. It's much of the same people that back in April were like "hah college football won't be impacted by this at all"... They don't see the big picture.

Saying it's doubtful Battle 4 Atlantis happens doesn't mean "oooh man I am scared of the virus we should never play basketball again!".

It means look at the obvious:

1) Atlantis is currently closed with no re-open date set.

2) Athletic programs are about to be running at budget deficits they've never before seen. Why would they be flying basketball teams that already mostly operate in the red to the Bahamas?

3) No schools have any firm plan for how football will take place this year, much less basketball... much less NON-CONFERENCE basketball.

4) Nobody knows what travel restrictions might be in place here or there. What if we suddenly have to quarantine our team for 14 days on the backside of the tournament?

5) Are you going to trust quarantine and isolation methods for 8 schools student-athletes and staff by a third world country?

6) Who is going to pay for said quarantine and isolation precautions?

7) Much of the point of trips like these are for the student-athletes to have fun experiences they'd normally not get. What fun activities do you think they'll be enjoying under quarantine?

It's silly to even think that our basketball team is going to be spending Thanksgiving in the Bahamas.
TXAggie2011
AG
Yeah, I was about to say predicting it won't happen isn't the same as wanting to not happen, and certainly isn't the same as looking for a reason for it not to happen.
wacarnolds
AG
Why won't the Bahamas think of the kids!

greg.w.h
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Some people keep continually mistaking what people think and expect to happen with what they want or think should happen. It's much of the same people that back in April were like "hah college football won't be impacted by this at all"... They don't see the big picture.

Saying it's doubtful Battle 4 Atlantis happens doesn't mean "oooh man I am scared of the virus we should never play basketball again!".

It means look at the obvious:

1) Atlantis is currently closed with no re-open date set.

2) Athletic programs are about to be running at budget deficits they've never before seen. Why would they be flying basketball teams that already mostly operate in the red to the Bahamas?

3) No schools have any firm plan for how football will take place this year, much less basketball... much less NON-CONFERENCE basketball.

4) Nobody knows what travel restrictions might be in place here or there. What if we suddenly have to quarantine our team for 14 days on the backside of the tournament?

5) Are you going to trust quarantine and isolation methods for 8 schools student-athletes and staff by a third world country?

6) Who is going to pay for said quarantine and isolation precautions?

7) Much of the point of trips like these are for the student-athletes to have fun experiences they'd normally not get. What fun activities do you think they'll be enjoying under quarantine?

It's silly to even think that our basketball team is going to be spending Thanksgiving in the Bahamas.

If we had access to the SEC media contracts, we could attempt to assess what the situation means financially. We have every reason to believe the SECN pays half of profits and no guaranteed. The so-called original Tier 1 (ota) and Tier 2 (cable) content probably has an out, but it might have some guaranteed monies.

The scholarship costs are relatively minimal compared to other staff and training costs. And in all honesty those payments have a funny money aspect to it. In addition, the TMF can raise funds. Avoiding expenses is within reach such as canceling more extravagant travel.

The football program funds a significant amount of overall athletic department spend. And I wouldn't be surprised if the conference games are the centerpiece of the revenue.

I understand the desire to get out in front and paint it black. But no one knows what will happen. No one.
Proposition Joe
You're right, we could end up playing the tournament on the moon. No one knows what will happen. No one.

Schools are going to be running at athletic deficits they've never even fathomed. Even if the health stuff does get sorted out in time, going to play a meaningless tournament in the Bahamas ain't gonna happen.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Isn't Ohio State and Utah already out of that tournament officially, since the Big-10 and PAC-12 have cancelled non- conference games for Fall sports?
agfan2332
Basketball is a winter sport
SECTAMU#1
I won't be surprised if college basketball does not start until January.
EXCELL
10% chance of going to the Bahamas. And that might be generous
Pumpkinhead
AG
State of California just announced it is moving high school football to 2021. No HS football played in this Fall in Cali.

Aston04
AG
One other option is to take the tournament and move it elsewhere for this year... Don't need a big gym- as evidenced by Atlantis. Just some resort location that Atlantis could make a deal with...
greg.w.h
AG
Aston04 said:

One other option is to take the tournament and move it elsewhere for this year... Don't need a big gym- as evidenced by Atlantis. Just some resort location that Atlantis could make a deal with...
Now where could they hold the Battle of Pacificus???
MarcAg
AG
Aston04 said:

I can't see Atlantis wanting to do that. They would much rather tell the teams, you all come back in 2022 and we will have same field (or at least any schools that want to participate).

If this is held elsewhere, it's likely the schools getting together and doing it without Atlantis.
Proposition Joe
They would hold it outside of the Bahamas simply to keep the name and save some TV revenue. That at least has a tiny chance of happening, but I still don't see the 8 committed schools coming together to work on something that will still require travel.

But as for playing in the Bahamas, I'd say chances are slim to none.

bobinator
AG
Still kind of think the way forward (if there is one...) for college hoops is just to put all contract games and tournaments on hold until 21-22, scrap any non-conference games that involve flying, and just basically have everyone (except Hawaii and a few other remote teams) play whoever they can get to by bus.

Would not only make things a little safer by limiting travel but it would also be a lot cheaper.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.