The Eagle's 2010s All-Decade Texas A&M Men's Basketball Team

3,430 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wacarnolds
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Link to article with stats & explanations

1st Team
Alex Caruso
Khris Middleton
Danuel House
Tyler Davis
Robert Williams

2nd Team
Elston Turner
Admon Gilder
Jalen Jones
David Loubeau
Josh Nebo
_lefraud_
AG
Personally I'd swap ET and House, and move KM to the 3.
Method Man
ET was prob better than Middleton even though I loved Middleton
Know Your Enemy
AG
No French?
greg.w.h
AG
I'm very glad someone made another list. I think the list isn't offensive. Glomming onto Khris after the fact is understandable, but Elston Turner arguably was more impactful. Not that I don't love Mr. Middleton.

David Loubeau being selected highlights our inability to recruit...6' 8" and bringing the ball up...with minimal handle...I'm not going back there.
Method Man
When did Loubeau bring it up? Also you would've never convinced me when he signed that Hogg wouldn't be on this list.
bobinator
AG
I'd have Hogg instead of Loubeau without even having to think that hard about it.
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

When did Loubeau bring it up? Also you would've never convinced me when he signed that Hogg wouldn't be on this list.
Kennedy (?) had him bring it up when he had a dearth of guards. It was at least a couple of times in one game. Not sure of the game and couldn't find an article or video on it.
JJxvi
AG
I mean I guess in some kind of player vs player microcosm I can see choosing Hogg as a better player than Loubeau, but Loubeau had a better career, and is also the clear pick if those teams have any kind of roster balance taken into consideration.
fat girlfriend

Quote:

1st Team
Alex Caruso
Khris Middleton
Danuel House
Tyler Davis
Robert Williams
If you did an all time, who on this list would be displaced, and who would displace them? Acie and the big kid from Normangee and Rudy Woods maybe and maybe the playground king from NY?
bobinator
AG
I wasn't taking their careers into account at all. Just who was better, and I think Hogg could play in the high post better than Loubeau could, he just didn't play down there much because of the roster makeup.

Put another way, I think Hogg is better than Loubeau in basically every conceivable way except for his ability to stay on the court and out of trouble.
Aston04
AG
Turner deserves to be on first team over Middleton. He carried the team to multiple wins.
mazag08
AG
It's crazy to me that DJ Hogg, arguably one of the most talented recruits we had during this time, couldn't make this list. If he had the work ethic of Davis or Middleton, he would be in the NBA right now.
bobinator
AG
Yep.
mazag08
AG
Aston04 said:

Turner deserves to be on first team over Middleton. He carried the team to multiple wins.
That game at Rupp was one of the most amazing single player performances I've ever seen. It gets lost because the season was meaningless and we had nothing on the line. But watching that game play out had the same feeling as the UNI miracle, the best Johnny moments, all the big Acie games, etc.

You just knew something special was happening and that ball was going in every time. It was insane.

When Rupp gives you a standing ovation after you beat them, thats special.
bobinator
AG
also gets lost because that Kentucky team ended up being awful.
Method Man
Loubeau never had too many big moments but he did block Isiah Thomas and hit a game winner to beat ISU. His floor was way lower than Hogg's but Hogg had three amazing games a year that were huge.
Pumpkinhead
AG
I agree with comments about Elston Turner. he was arguably the best pure scorer of the decade.

I'd also could make an argument that Jalen Jones would be a better 'fit' on the first team as the PF matched up with Tyler Davis than Robert Williams. Jalen Jones could play more effectively outside the paint and give you better spacing. Jalen also you know is going to bring it every game. Dude was a gamer, while Robert Williams you just never knew if he was showing up mentally or not. I know I'm giving up some highlight rim protection and dunk plays with Williams, but I think I'm ahead more overall with Jalen Jones.

If I had to build my All-Decade team going through an entire season with just 5 guys, here is who I go with:

Alex Caruso
Elston Turner
Middleton or House (this is the toughest decision, I think I lean House)
Jalen Jones
Tyler Davis

So, looking at the above, I realize I basically just picked the 2015-2016 starting roster which won 28 games and went to the Sweet Sixteen, except I replaced Anthony Collins with Elston Turner. Yeah, I guess that makes some sense. Give me that 2015-2016 starting unit swapping in Elston for Anthony Collins.

Aggie09Derek
AG
Elston not being on first team is a joke...invaldiates whole list
Matsui
AG
What's elston turner up
To now?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Still hooping
Class of 65
AG
I don't recall Elston Turner
mazag08
AG
Method Man
I rewatch once a year. He was amazing against Utn too but we didn't foul up 3 and their stud tied it.
hoya-ag
AG
Here is my 1st team.

Alex Caruso
Elston Turner
Danuel House
Jalen Jones
Tyler Davis
isitjustme
AG
fat girlfriend said:

Quote:

1st Team
Alex Caruso
Khris Middleton
Danuel House
Tyler Davis
Robert Williams
If you did an all time, who on this list would be displaced, and who would displace them? Acie and the big kid from Normangee and Rudy Woods maybe and maybe the playground king from NY?

Roger Bock & Mike Cliffortd would have to be on the list.

Actually, Winston Crite, Rudy Woods, David Edwards, Don Marbury, Donald Sloan, Acie Law, Claude Riley, Vernon Scott all would have good arguments to be on the list.

Next tier would include Joseph Jones, Rynn Wright, Jimmy Gilbert, Damon Johnson,
DeangeloVickers
AG
Can we have Gilder transferred to Gonzaga list?
jphelmet
AG
Guilder and Turner were both significantly better college players than Caruso.

Caruso's the best Aggie basketball story, and I love how his hard work has paid off. BUT- his NBA career has skewed the perspective on his actual contribution while at A&M.

JJxvi
AG
Gilder was a better scorer, I guess.

If anything people dont give Caruso credit for being one of the best all-around guards in A&M history simply because he was not a scorer. In particular, he is one of the best distributing guards I've seen play for us. He averaged over 5 assists a game in 3 different season, something the last person to achieve was Acie Law (once). He's the all time leader in assists and steals, and was a better defensive player. Gilder is not close to being "significantly better" than Caruso.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Give me Caruso over Gilder on my team all day everyday
Height, athleticism, team, steals, mind, etc
wacarnolds
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Give me Caruso over Gilder on my team all day everyday
Height, athleticism,team, steals, mind, etc

Gilder busted his ass every minute of every night for a dog**** team that had nothing to play for in 2017. I don't think you could find a more selfless effort in the past 20 years of A&M basketball.

It's pretty sad to see these sorts of barbs thrown at Aggies because they make personal choices you don't agree with.
wacarnolds
AG
jphelmet said:

Guilder and Turner were both significantly better college players than Caruso.

Caruso's the best Aggie basketball story, and I love how his hard work has paid off. BUT- his NBA career has skewed the perspective on his actual contribution while at A&M.

I think the perception of Caruso is also/more skewed by the fact that our team results hit a crescendo his SR year, ending with a memorable run to the Sweet 16. The 2015 season, on a decent team that lost its best player at the worst time, ended up in flames in part because of Alex's inability to pick up the slack.

And in some ways, that is emblematic of the issue with judging college players against each other. Some show up ready to contribute on Day 1, taking on responsibility for the team's success/failure, while others grow into much better players amd escape a lot of the negativity from the earlier parts of their career.

That is not take away from the awesomeness of a guy like Caruso developing into a legend, but often pretty much everything else just gets memory holed and you're left with a good/bad taste in your mouth depending on how that last season went.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.