Makur Maker

4,708 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Craigy
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
How can a guy like this commit to Howard U? He had offers from Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, Memphis and UCLA; I know he has had a rough HS career (multiple schools around the US in four years) but going from SO-Cal to Howard? Some fibbing going on around here.
mdanyc03
AG
What do you mean?
Matsui
AG
Who is lying
Method Man
He chose to go to an HBCU for reasons outside of basketball. He will likely get more coverage in this climate and should do well against that competition. I look forward to seeing how he does. Maybe he's a trailblazer maybe not. Not sure what the controversy is.
mdanyc03
AG
His cousin is a future mvp anyway so doesn't really matter what he does.
expresswrittenconsent
Grampa, what do you mean by "fibbing"?
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm sure the HBCU's have deeper pockets to pay players than the blue bloods do.
Texas A&M
Good for him! He's making more of a statement than the woke NBA players putting the trite messages on their backs.
greg.w.h
AG
Junkhead said:

Or they offer the ability to confer degrees in a setting where less prepared students are more apt to participate and grow...
mdanyc03
AG
greg.w.h said:

Junkhead said:

Or they offer the ability to confer degrees in a setting where less prepared students are more apt to participate and grow...

Not sure I understand your comment. Is maker less prepared academically?
Know Your Enemy
AG
nm
Method Man
greg.w.h said:

Junkhead said:

I do remember Derrick Griffin playing for TSU when everyone knows he was talented enough to play anywhere.
mdanyc03
AG
Howard and TSU aren't really comparable
Method Man
Agreed. Good point.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Honestly that was my favorite sports story I've seen in a couple weeks. I think it is sad that most people jump to a conclusion that is so nefarious.

I choose to believe that this young man made a decision about the kind of college experience he wants to have, and put aside all the other noise. Good for him.

And Howard is a very prestigious place to go to school. He'll be able to do anything he wants, including the NBA.
greg.w.h
AG
High school
Chaminade College Prep
(West Hills, California)
Prolific Prep North
(Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario)
Orange Lutheran
(Orange, California)
Pacific Academy
(Irvine, California)
Hillcrest Prep Academy
(Phoenix, Arizona)
TexAgs1992
Texas A&M said:

Good for him! He's making more of a statement than the woke NBA players putting the trite messages on their backs.
This. Have always wanted to see recruits appreciate and embrace our HBCUs rather than going to UNC, Duke, Kentucky, KU, etc. I would like to see someone like Maker embrace this route unlike the NBA's route.
greg.w.h
AG
The beauty of basketball is one player can make a huge difference. Having more competitive schools and better competition is s a win for everyone who is a fan. And fewer meaningless degrees taking worthless classes that have no content isn't a lose...
Method Man
greg.w.h said:

The beauty of basketball is one player can make a huge difference. Having more competitive schools and better competition is s a win for everyone who is a fan. And fewer meaningless degrees taking worthless classes that have no content isn't a lose...

Yeah indeed. It isn't a lose.
mdanyc03
AG
greg.w.h said:

Junkhead said:

- I don't think you really have any way of knowing anything about Makur Maker's academic ability or preparedness.
- you stated that going to an hbcu might be a good move because it might allow those who are less prepared academically to fit in better. But Howard has higher average incoming test scores than Memphis and comparable to slightly higher average test scores than Kentucky, his other finalists.
greg.w.h
AG
I stand by what I write. Call me racist now. Get it out of your system.
expresswrittenconsent
Race aside, it seems as if dany disproved your assertions/claims. So "standing behind" the post seems strange.
greg.w.h
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Race aside, it seems as if dany disproved your assertions/claims. So "standing behind" the post seems strange.
Which claims? It is unlikely that by going to five high schools he's better prepared for college though likely he passed the necessary tests.

Generally affirmative action puts students in situations where they may be poorly prepared to succeed. Generally going to other schools than the top ones improves learning and success. Nothing to do specifically with HBCUs per se. but schools less focused on athletics might provide a better learning environment.

I stand by what I wrote.
mdanyc03
AG
I don't know you so won't call you racist. I will just say you haven't exhibited cogent thinking or communication skills in this thread.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Howard is a pretty good school
CactusThomas
AG
Howard the duck?
Method Man
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/howard-university-1448 Not bad at all!
AWP 97
AG
I think it is awesome that he is going there and would love to see football recruits follow his lead. However, let's not kid ourselves. This is related to BLM. I don't believe this happens a year ago.
Craigy
He will make a statement is he stays 3-4 years and gets his degree. Not so much if he stays 10 mos on campus and bounces out to the league.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.