Franck Kepnang CB'd to the good guys today

6,244 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bobinator
Never_seen_em_quit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would be an unreal addition for Buzz and the funky bunch. By all accounts a great young man with tons of talent and leadership.
Never_seen_em_quit
AG
https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Franck-Kepnang-at-Westtown-School-227338/CurrentExpertPredictions/
MarcAg
AG
@HeatCheckHoops liked a tweet earlier today that I tweeted 3+ weeks ago about how Franck would be a huge pickup for A&M. The also liked several other Franck and A&M tweets that were not tweeted recently. So there might be more smoke here than just one CB pick. Or maybe they are doing it because they saw the one CB pick.

I'm trying to not get excited about him joining the team and reclassifying and joining for the upcoming season
aggiejohn
AG

Having him reclassify and join the team over the next couple of months would be amazing.
MarcAg
AG
Yeah having that year under his belt with the coaches would be huge for the following year when Marfo is gone.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Is reclassifying a possibility?
MarcAg
AG
Yes he's been talking for months that it's a possibility of reclassifying and mentioned as recently as last week.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Excellent, thanks.
MarcAg
AG
Getting that year of experience and more importantly work with our coaches would be huge come the following season when Marfo is gone.
mdanyc03
AG
MarcAg said:

Getting that year of experience and more importantly work with our coaches would be huge come the following season when Marfo is gone.

Uh, this guy is a top 25 national recruit. We'd be fortunate to get more than one year from him.
MarcAg
AG
He's not a one and done. And especially not as an early enrollee.
Pumpkinhead
AG
mdanyc03 said:

MarcAg said:

Uh, this guy is a top 25 national recruit. We'd be fortunate to get more than one year from him.
This was a Kansas basketball recruiting writeup on Kepnang from a couple of months ago.

Quote:

247 sports recruiting profile of Kepnang listed his player comparison to current Jayhawk Silvio De Sousa, citing his ability to dunk as well as his "tremendous build and length." That kind of athleticism is would make any college coach excited, but there is one drawback: he's a "limited offensive player" according to 247.

The good news for Kansas basketball is that Bill Self has a great reputation for developing four-year players, and Kepnang seems like a great target. He has a great frame plus exceptional athleticism, and if Self and his staff can improve the finer points of his game, Kepnang has a shot at the NBA.

Does sound like he's probably a multi-year college player, because of a still very limited offensive skill set.
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

mdanyc03 said:

MarcAg said:

This was a Kansas basketball recruiting writeup on Kepnang from a couple of months ago.

Quote:

247 sports recruiting profile of Kepnang listed his player comparison to current Jayhawk Silvio De Sousa, citing his ability to dunk as well as his "tremendous build and length." That kind of athleticism is would make any college coach excited, but there is one drawback: he's a "limited offensive player" according to 247.

The good news for Kansas basketball is that Bill Self has a great reputation for developing four-year players, and Kepnang seems like a great target. He has a great frame plus exceptional athleticism, and if Self and his staff can improve the finer points of his game, Kepnang has a shot at the NBA.

Does sound like he's probably a multi-year college player, because of a still very limited offensive skill set.

The fact that he's "limited" offensively makes him a great fit. He will likely stay longer in his career and he stays around the basket where he's needed most. I'll say this after watching his tape. He's not one of those big, tall slugs. He shows enough potential offensively that with some staff development, he can be an adequate back to the basket post. The biggest attribute is his reputation as a hard worker both on and off the court.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Let BD mold him into a monster in the lane.
MarcAg
AG
He has actually developed a three point shot. I'm not going to say he is a great shooter, but he is expanding his game. He actually has a nice looking shot for a guy that's spent his entire basketball career on the blocks.
Hop
Staff
AG
MarcAg said:

He has actually developed a three point shot. I'm not going to say he is a great shooter, but he is expanding his game. He actually has a nice looking shot for a guy that's spent his entire basketball career on the blocks.

I have no desire to see the one post on the court for A&M shooting 3-pointers.
AgEfan
Hop said:

I have no desire to see the one post on the court A&M A&M shooting 3-pointers.

No idea what you are saying
phorizt
I have great desire to see us put together a team where the 1-5 can all shoot the 3 reliably.
Hop
Staff
AG
phorizt said:

I have great desire to see us put together a team where the 1-5 can all shoot the 3 reliably.
I don't. The should be to have your 1-4 who can score from anywhere on the court. I prefer for the one post player to be in the paint grabbing boards and establishing a low post presence that can facilitate the inside-out game.
MarcAg
AG
If your big man can shoot the three then hell yeah i want him occasionally shooting it. That's today's game. It opens up so much. You can pick and roll with your big man. If he can't shoot then its much easier to defend. If the big man can roll, but you can also pick and pop at the top of the key now the defense has no clue what to expect on this screen. It also allows you to open up the lane for other players if your big man can step outside and be a threat. I don't want my big man hanging out at the three point line constantly. But yeah I would love it if Nebo could have occasionally been able to make a three pointer.
bobinator
AG
Yep, being just good enough that they have to account for it is nice. Joe Jones hit some big ones in his time.
LosAngelesAg
AG
Hop said:

phorizt said:

I don't. The should be to have your 1-4 who can score from anywhere on the court. I prefer for the one post player to be in the paint grabbing boards and establishing a low post presence that can facilitate the inside-out game.
thank god you are not involved in the coaching staff
AgEfan
Hop thinks its 1999. Basketball has changed old man!!
(even though you aren't that much older than me).
expresswrittenconsent
AgEfan said:

He's only about 10yrs behind the current game. 99 thinking would need 2+bigs.
Hop
Staff
AG
AgEfan said:

This isn't the NBA. Last season dramatically changed when Nebo established himself as a weapon in the low post which collapsed defenses and created open perimeter looks with the inside-out game. It wasn't just a coincidence that Chuck Mitchell's 3-pt percentage improved in the second half of the season.

Hop
Staff
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

AgEfan said:

That is an ignorant statement especially when I've discussed the one post system on this very thread.
MarcAg
AG
Hop said:

AgEfan said:

That is an ignorant statement especially when I've discussed the one post system on this very thread.
Think you misunderstood. He was defending you. He was saying you aren't 20 years behind because you aren't talking about a 2 big man lineup.
expresswrittenconsent
Hop said:

AgEfan said:

Yep, I was wrong to say you were stuck in 2010. Your previous post just described that the ideal 2020 cbb philosophy is the 1994 Houston Rockets. 1 great big kicking out to 4 shooters. Not 10yrs outdated, 25+ yrs old.
I sincerely apologize to the board for underestimating you.
AgEfan
Hop said:

AgEfan said:

This isn't the NBA. Last season dramatically changed when Nebo established himself as a weapon in the low post which collapsed defenses and created open perimeter looks with the inside-out game. It wasn't just a coincidence that Chuck Mitchell's 3-pt percentage improved in the second half of the season.

So if Nebo could shoot, it would have hurt our team? Could he not be a threat on the blocks if he occasionally stepped out and made a three? As mentioned that would have made it really tough to guard on those screens. It would also have opened up the lane for guys like Jackson to drive. I don't want my big camping out at the three point line, but I sure would love for him to be able to make a three and just have that in the back of the defense's mind.
LosAngelesAg
AG
hop is seriously using this past years offense for why something can work when it was one of the worst spacing offenses i have ever seen. and, when presented with an opportunity for someone who could hypothetically help with that issue, wants us to de-emphasize it. well done. well ****ing done
USNAggie44
I really wish that Joseph Jones was never able to shoot, those teams would have been so much better
bingram1230
AG
I get a little bit of an Embiid vibe from his tape. I too prefer low post players that can occasionally step out and hit a mid range jumper
TXAggie2011
AG
Yeah, maybe Tech would have won the championship if Tariq Owens stopped leaving the block.
Proposition Joe
Hop said:

AgEfan said:

This isn't the NBA. Last season dramatically changed when Nebo established himself as a weapon Buzz stopped trying to force a square peg in a round hole and started centering the offense around Nebo in the low post which collapsed defenses and created open perimeter looks with the inside-out game. It wasn't just a coincidence that Chuck Mitchell's 3-pt percentage improved in the second half of the season.

FIFY
bobinator
AG
Still think it's wild that you bang that drum. Like at Christmas one morning Buzz woke up and was like 'oh s***, we should try letting Nebo play in the post.'
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.