LSU NCAA violations? Will they affect us?

8,225 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by swc93
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As Ol Jock said... UNC had fake classes. Practically nothing happened, and there definitely wasn't some scorched earth reporting on it. It was a 1-2 day headline then ultimately forgotten about.

I actually think the exact opposite... Oklahoma State likely got trouble because they DID cooperate with the NCAA.

LSU still fielding a team. Will Wade is still coach.
misterguinness
AG
Proposition Joe said:

As Ol Jock said... UNC had fake classes. Practically nothing happened, and there definitely wasn't some scorched earth reporting on it. It was a 1-2 day headline then ultimately forgotten about.

I actually think the exact opposite... Oklahoma State likely got trouble because they DID cooperate with the NCAA.

LSU still fielding a team. Will Wade is still coach.
This, sort of. I had a buddy who worked at the UNC sports information office in 2008. He said that UNC was clearly providing improper benefits. They supplied information to state officials who were working in conjunction with the NCAA, but it was extremely vague. On the other hand, Duke, as a private university, was able to access a loophole through which they could shut the door on the state officials. The target was Lance Thomas who was driving around Durham in a $100,000 vehicle.
2+2=5
mdanyc03
AG
Okay UNC didn't get busted for a couple of different reasons . But Louisville recently did and had a national championship revoked. Kentucky has been busted badly several times. Unlv's dynasty was derailed by the NCAA. Michigan got hit hard. Indiana got hit hard recently. In football, dynasties at Miami and usc got derailed by the NCAA.

This idea that big programs never get hit is supported by selecting just certain cases
TMartin
LSU is a consistent champion level athletics program in numerous sports and the NCAA wants TV revenue before all else. For example, Urban Meyer leaves a flaming trail of serious infractions everywhere he coaches but wins championships. He takes a year or two off and old Urban is right back at it somewhere else.
bobinator
AG
Wasn't the whole thing with UNC that it technically wasn't against NCAA rules? Because any UNC student, not just athletes, could take the classes, it wasn't an "improper benefit" right?

The NCAA doesn't have any say on your academic curriculum, so if UNC was counting the classes toward a degree, the NCAA has to.

Big schools are just a lot better at this than the small ones.
Ol Jock 99
AG
My understanding is that they were off the books classes specifically created for athletes. At some point, someone told his buddies, and non-athletes started to register for them too.
bobinator
AG
I don't think so, because then it would be an NCAA violation. I thought the NCAA was basically like "hey this is really bad for UNC's academic profile, but nothing we can do about it..."
TXAggie2011
AG
Bobinator's got it right. The NCAA determined UNC was behaving quite badly, but that it wasn't the NCAA's issue to address.

UNC got in trouble via its accreditation organization. Indeed, UNC almost lost its academic accreditation, which would have destroyed the university, and people lost their jobs along the way.

FWIW, if it means anything to anyone around here in SEC country, commissioner Greg Sankey was the man in charge of the infractions committee at the time.
bobinator
AG
The NCAA always has issues trying to impose penalties in situations that's aren't very blatantly NCAA violations.

They had issues with the Penn State penalties also.
greg.w.h
AG
There is little to be gained by punishing schools for something students or student parents do.

But when the school does it the punishment should be uniform.

The UNC thing had to do with their accreditation agency being bad at its job. It had arguably little to do with an NCAA violation.

The LSU thing pretty much has to have a legal finding of guilt for the NCAA to do anything since it appears to be hearsay and circumstantial evidence even including the "tape." NCAA president Emmert being from LSU is an interesting complication, though...
TXAggie2011
AG
bobinator said:

The NCAA always has issues trying to impose penalties in situations that's aren't very blatantly NCAA violations.

They had issues with the Penn State penalties also.
I think the NCAA is far from perfect, but I'm ever-increasingly convinced people just don't understand what the NCAA actually is, and overestimate the power and ability it has to do "stuff."
bobinator
AG
I've been saying that for years. People also don't realize a lot of the time that the NCAA is basically designed to be the bad guy.
McGibblets
AG
Tied to possible sanctions?

wacarnolds
AG
bobinator
AG
If they do actually have him, it's going to be interesting to see how they penalize LSU since not only did LSU not cooperate, they were basically openly hostile to the NCAA during the process.
Gap
AG
Seems like this would be as close to a death penalty case as the NCAA has had since SMU. I don't think it will be used again, but you have severe integrity issues and major violations and the school giving the NCAA the finger and continuing on with the coach.
Serious Lee
LSU should hope this gets wrapped up soon, cause after this covid/cancellation debacle, im not sure mark emmert will be around much longer to protect them and his buddy woodward.
greg.w.h
AG
Any news on how the case proceeded? The parents of the bribery case are being sentenced now. I'll note that one was in many ways a terrifying misapplication of federal law. But if it causes officials liked the folks at the Lege who offered or accepted quid pro quos to place sons and daughters of donors at the school in Austin a little heartache...
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

In what way would they impact us?

I was thinking about how the OP's topic title could be interpreted and I had to laugh a little . That'd be about right. A&M would get NCAA sanctions for LSU's violations.
swc93
AG
<LA Tech enters the chat room>
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.