Reuben Fatheree - basketball

5,545 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aston04
Visor Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looch mentions in his write-up today that new OL commit Reuben Fatheree was being recruited by Buzz. What are the thoughts of him actually playing both sports for the Ags? If he did decided to play basketball, the scholarship would still come from football, right? Excited about the prospects of a big body like that joining the team.
bobinator
AG
Correct about the football scholarship.

I don't know anything about this kid because I don't follow recruiting much, but I find it extremely unlikely that someone could play college basketball and be an offensive lineman and do them both effectively.
Wicked Good Ag
I wonder how Nebo would have done in football on a line
MarcAg
AG
I agree with bobinator, I see it hard for a football player to join the basketball team and make much of an impact under Buzz. Not saying it's impossible, but by January Buzz's team will be coming together and I see it hard for a kid to just jump anyone in the rotation that went through bootcamp and offseason workouts and played in the non-conference. They would have to be an elite basketball player or a team in desperate need of something that person can bring them.

So a guy like Fatheree would have to decide is playing "maybe" 5 minutes a game worth missing a lot of offseason football.
bobinator
AG
I think it would be extremely hard for anyone under Buzz, but especially an offensive lineman.
Blazer
AG
MarcAg said:

They would have to be an elite basketball player or a team in desperate need of something that person can bring them.
Random memory I have regarding that very point. During the 2OT game at Texas in 2007, BCG put Jerrod Johnson into the game to attempt to inbound the ball the length of the floor. JJ didn't end up throwing it the length of the court (he dumped it off to Acie), but I can only assume that is why he was in the game.

Looking through his game log that year it looks like JJ only played in three games.

Anyways, throwing a long pass the length of the court is probably the best example of a football player being able to help a basketball team by doing one thing exceptionally well.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Listed as 6'8" 308 lbs on the recruiting website. Kid is built like a tank.

Boots over Delaware
AG
I seem to recall Martellus Bennett doing some good work against Big Baby (LSU) in the tournament.
expresswrittenconsent
I remember watching Julius Peppers play hoops for Carolina. But this kid is already taller/heavier, and is playing OL where he will presumably add more bulk.

I sure as hell wouldnt want to play against him and 4 other football players at the rec, though.
bobinator
AG
Martellus is a good example of why it's so hard.

Tight end is the best position if you're trying to be a crossover athlete because they aren't necessarily just trying to bulk you up as much as possible on the football side. And, if memory serves, he was REALLY good at basketball. I think he had some high major basketball-only offers.

And even then he barely had an impact on the basketball team. He played a few important minutes total in a couple of games, but he wasn't even really a rotation player.
mdanyc03
AG
I think it's perfectly plausible that he could be a contributing role player. Always good to have a big body for specific match ups or when you have foul trouble.

I think he's an exceptional athlete
bobinator
AG
If someone can be a legitimate SEC offensive lineman and get up and down the court and be effective in a college basketball game, that's more than even exceptional.

Maybe unprecedented in the modern era?
halfastros81
AG
Serious question, in today's world and with his future much more likely in the NFL rather than the NBA why would someone risk injury playing basketball ?

If he can contribute in hoops I'd be all for it but not so sure it would be a great business decision.
bobinator
AG
Probably because he loves both sports?
halfastros81
AG
that's fair. difference between an 18 yr old's thought process and a 60 yr old's.
mdanyc03
AG
I think you are overstating how difficult it would be. There are plenty of basketball players bigger than him.
MarcAg
AG
mdanyc03 said:

I think you are overstating how difficult it would be. There are plenty of basketball players bigger than him.

Come Fall 2021 there will not be hardly any college basketball players as big as him. Tall as him yes, but not as big as him. Dude will be at least 6'8 315 easily. There is nobody in the 300s in the NBA these days. He's about same height as Nebo as a high school junior and already 50 pounds heavier and he's going to put on weight.
Method Man
Tony Gonzalez and Jimmy Graham are the only two I can think of. Mike Evans mightve gotten some minutes at A&M.
bobinator
AG
Are there? Dude's pushing 3 bills at (supposedly) 6-8. That would be two inches shorter but 30 pounds heavier than what Tyler Davis played at his last season.
expresswrittenconsent
bobinator said:

Are there? Dude's pushing 3 bills at (supposedly) 6-8. That would be two inches shorter but 40 pounds heavier than what Tyler Davis played at his last season.

He's gonna presumably fill out through the core a lot but that clip above looks like a guy who could play hoops at this level.
bobinator
AG
Im not saying he can't do it, I'm just saying if he does it would be incredible. Has anyone found an example of any offensive lineman ever playing both sports?
expresswrittenconsent
He's also going to arguably be tallest ever OL for the football squad.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Im not saying he can't do it, I'm just saying if he does it would be incredible. Has anyone found an example of any offensive lineman ever playing both sports?

Can't recall one offhand, but as mentioned 6'8" is An unusually tall offensive lineman.
mikesyracuse1
On the reverse type of role, George Fant played the 4/5 spot at 6'6" at Western Kentucky in basketball and has been a good offensive linemen for the past 4 seasons for the Seahawks.

Mikesyracuse1
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Martellus is a good example of why it's so hard.

Tight end is the best position if you're trying to be a crossover athlete because they aren't necessarily just trying to bulk you up as much as possible on the football side. And, if memory serves, he was REALLY good at basketball. I think he had some high major basketball-only offers.

And even then he barely had an impact on the basketball team. He played a few important minutes total in a couple of games, but he wasn't even really a rotation player.
Fatheree is considered a legitimate basketball prospect. He plays slimmer when in basketball mode. But yes, it will be more difficult to do that in college.
miller0926
AG
And fyi, Fatheree played on Houston Hoops with LJ Cryer and others the past couple of years. He was part of the EYBL circuit for what it's worth.
bobinator
AG
Will he be ranked as a hoops prospect? I think Martellus was and I know Derrick Griffin was. How legitimate are we talking?
bobinator
AG
Did he play both at WKU?
USNAggie44
halfastros81 said:

Serious question, in today's world and with his future much more likely in the NFL rather than the NBA why would someone risk injury playing basketball ?

If he can contribute in hoops I'd be all for it but not so sure it would be a great business decision.
Head injuries would be a reason someone may choose basketball over football, but he certainly has a much smaller chance of making the NBA than the NFL.

I really find it unlikely that he would be able to play both given how much weight he needs to put on for football. I feel like only a tight end or receiver/corner could play both with less need for changing their body type. If he did I think it would have to be in the Rico Gather's mold (who tried to play TE after not playing football in college), but I just don't see that happening. Buzz would need to accept just plugging him in during certain situations,.
expresswrittenconsent
I want to state for the record I fully believe he will contribute meaningfully to the basketball team. Today is 6.2.2020

Hello 2024 thread bumper!

Pumpkinhead
AG
Some folks think he has first round NFL draft pick potential at OT position.

The fact that he is so tall, 6'8" than the typical 6'4"-6'5" OL type makes the usefulness on a D1 hoops team an intriguing topic.

Body type for the different sports does seem like would be an issue, though if his priority is football and Jimbo and Buzz are okay with it, he wouldn't be taking up a scholarship spot on the hoops team so there doesn't seem like much risk from Buzz's perspective if he liked the kid.
Hop
Staff
AG
Well, ya'll can see for yourselves. He reminds me of a young Tyler Davis. Go to the "Northside" highlights for an extended highlight package.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10141182/Reuben-Deuce-Fatheree
Aston04
bobinator
AG
Except he's not as tall as Tyler Davis. From those quick highlights he looks to have nice touch, good feet and a good feel for the game though. The biggest concern as a hoops prospect is just his height/weight. It's hard to essentially be a two-dimensional paint player at 6-8.

If the kid can do it, awesome, I love two sport athletes, I just think it's extremely unlikely he could do it.
expresswrittenconsent
To be fair, its much easier to do in college (we were very small in the paint last yr) than the pros, and its much easier to do in 2020 hoops than 2000 hoops when every college team still had 3-5 guys above 6-11.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.