A few old basketball photos

8,630 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by war hymn aggie
polander ag81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Loved G Rollie. The whole east side was student and GA seating. Image how intimidating it would have been if that south wall was pushed back enough to have another 500-750 seats.
BJM1781
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

I spent some time working out under the bleachers in DeWare back in the early '90s; I still can't believe we went from that dark, cramped, sweatpit to what the students have now.
Is this code for something?
Little Rock Ag
AG
BJM1781 said:

Little Rock Ag said:

I spent some time working out under the bleachers in DeWare back in the early '90s; I still can't believe we went from that dark, cramped, sweatpit to what the students have now.
Is this code for something?
No, and you can take your dirty little mind out of this conversation.
Complete Idiot
Used to play racquetball in some courts that were located on the upper level of Deware, that was in the early 90's. Also shot baskets in The Grove, and saw them show Rocky Horror Picture show there - with a pretty big crowd and active crowd participation.
Complete Idiot
Some old Deware photos: https://oaktrust.library.tamu.edu/handle/1969.1/97043/mdbrowse?node=348
greg.w.h
AG
My best memory at G. Rollie was using my senior ring to sit in the senior section in the floor bleachers in fall of 1982…

Seriously though. Just needed one-third of the arena bouncing sound off the closed end to produce amazing noise. It's key defect was support pillars creating view problems for upper row fans. Well…and it wasn't built to expand.

Graduated same day as my younger brother both from College of Science in Spring of '85. But because Chemistry alphabetically precedes Physics I graduated first!!!
Hop
Staff
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Used to play racquetball in some courts that were located on the upper level of Deware, that was in the early 90's. Also shot baskets in The Grove, and saw them show Rocky Horror Picture show there - with a pretty big crowd and active crowd participation.
They never swept the racquetball courts at Deware. You couldn't stop. Always running into the walls. You also had to avoid the support beams on those lob shots.
coloradoag69
AG
I'll back up those who say G. Rollie was awesome. You have to consider the dates, and at that time not only was it filled for many conference games, it was the loudest gym by far in the SWC. Speaking of dumps, you should have gone to a game at tu then. That was a true dump.

I still don't understand what happened to support for Aggie basketball between then and now.
AggieTFA06
AG
coloradoag69 said:

I'll back up those who say G. Rollie was awesome. You have to consider the dates, and at that time not only was it filled for many conference games, it was the loudest gym by far in the SWC. Speaking of dumps, you should have gone to a game at tu then. That was a true dump.

I still don't understand what happened to support for Aggie basketball between then and now.
Aggie basketball didn't have much support during the Melvin Watkins era. Then Billy Gillispie was hired and made Aggie basketball fun to watch. Reed was very rowdy during that era. In fact, there were large lines to pull for basketball games in 2008. There was still support for Aggie basketball under Turgeon, but attendance slid at the end after losses to Baylor and tu despite going to another NCAA tournament. Than support was lost during the Billy Kennedy era with the exception of a few games.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
CapCityAg89
AG
I graduated twice in GRW. High school (Bryan) and A&M. 41 spoke at grad but not mine. Saw at least 100 basketball games there (punch cards!). Loved that place. Last time I was in it, I bought a tshirt on the court when it was a temp book store.
bigtupy
If you played there you would not be saying that. Back then we really had a HOME COURT ADVANTAGE. Opponents did not look forward to playing there. If an opposing player went in for a layup on the end where the football players sat, he would not come out of the stands in one piece.
Big E
war hymn aggie
AG
my personal fave, tho not at G Rollie.
Winston Crite slamming over Akeem.
Got WC to sign a copy of this photo a few years ago.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.