David Jackson Leaves Texas A&M to Return to Virginia Tech As Basketball Strength Coac

8,716 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by monarch
aggiejohn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://techlunchpail.com/blog/david-jackson-leaves-texas-am-return-virginia-tech-basketball-strength-coach

MarcAg
AG
Interesting. Wonder if he just missed VT or if Buzz is deciding to go in a different direction.

Buzz seems like a coach S&C coaches would love to work for. Demands a lot for his player. Bet we hire a good replacement
West Point Aggie
AG
He missed the maroon - burnt orange color combo...that must unnatural of color combos!
Method Man
Let's bring back that guy we used to have.
bballcoach
Method Man said:

Let's bring back that guy we used to have.
We have to do whatever needs to be done to get the best Strength & Conditioning, Recruiting & Honestl Coach Back home!!!
Method Man
Let's do it.
aggiejohn
AG
Darby is in Memphis:
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2019/06/03/penny-hardaway-memphis-basketball-hires-darby-rich-strength-coach/1326775001/
expresswrittenconsent
West Point Aggie said:

He missed the maroon - burnt orange color combo...that must unnatural of color combos!

Good joke, mom!
agtrevino07
AG
Perhaps we can copy VT approach and bring Darby Rich back? The guy is familiar with the University and knows both seniors.
bobinator
AG
This board's fascination with Darby Rich will never cease to amaze me. I think the dude was good at his job but it's not like our guys were in freakish shape or anything.
MarcAg
AG
Nothing on TexAgs should amaze you. There were tons of people here that wanted Jason Cook to be our AD and tons that wanted Gabe to replace Dave South (no offense to Gabe).

I' really don't want anyone from the Kennedy staff coming back honestly. We will find a good replacement
bobinator
AG
Good points.
timm
MarcAg said:

Nothing on TexAgs should amaze you. There were tons of people here that wanted Jason Cook to be our AD and tons that wanted Gabe to replace Dave South (no offense to Gabe).

I' really don't want anyone from the Kennedy staff coming back honestly. We will find a good replacement
I'm especially entertained by the Frank Martin obsession, although it has waned a bit in the last few years.
MarcAg
AG
Frank Martin did go to a final 4 in last 3 years.
agtrevino07
AG
bobinator said:

This board's fascination with Darby Rich will never cease to amaze me. I think the dude was good at his job but it's not like our guys were in freakish shape or anything.
In my opinion, I think it could be benefitial to hire somebody familiar with the university and some of our players. Hiring out of state or unfamiliar coaches to come to move to College Station, Texas might be challenging (see David Jackson going back to VT). Overall BK's team seemed to be in overall good condition just like this year's team.
expresswrittenconsent
Overall, college athletes seem to be in overall good condition. Maybe the job isn't that important overall and we don't need anyone to move to College Station. Overall, some good ideas.
Goro Majima
AG
MarcAg said:

There are also people that want Johnny Manziel to be the head football coach.

Bull ****ing ***** You hire only the best and most qualified, otherwise we're stuck in neutral or maybe go into reverse.
Method Man
Any good s&c coach will do
greg.w.h
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the S&C coach is the one that can be in contact with the athletes when the other coaches can't by NCAA rules, right??
Aston04
AG
Method Man said:

Any good s&c coach will do
You know Buzz won't approach it that way. Want a guy good at S&C and sells the program/culture well.
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
For those that discount Darby's ability and what he did during BK's tenure, I'll just leave this here...

CactusThomas
AG
Logan Lee said:

For those that discount Darby's ability and what he did during BK's tenure, I'll just leave this here...

If that's the sign of a good strength and conditioning coach then we need to hire Tyler's high school staff.
Hop
Staff
AG
I think you missed the point of the photo.
bobinator
AG
I'm sure whoever we hire we'll hear is "one of the best in the business" and was basically the man responsible behind the scenes of several All Americans.
expresswrittenconsent
The kid also lost a hundred lbs in high school and most men gain a lot of muscle tone from 18-21.
mdanyc03
AG
I'm not saying that I can necessarily compare Darby rich to every other s&c coach in the world but I have no doubt he was really good at his job. I heard an interview with Jalen Jones in which he said his vertical leap increased six inches during his time at A&M. Danuel House also said his measurables improved significantly at A&M.

And to be completely frank, I thought our conditioning declined through the beginning of last year. I thought a couple of guys, including savion Flagg, looked more sluggish and less bouncy at the beginning of the year, although I think they worked their way into good shape by the end of the year.

I don't think that was the new s&c guy's fault. I think with the transition he lost a significant part of the summer.
bobinator
AG
I actually wondered if that was because we were practicing so hard.
Method Man
I heard we started eating Beyond Meat instead of real food.
bobinator
AG
mdanyc03 said:

I'm not saying that I can necessarily compare Darby rich to every other s&c coach in the world but I have no doubt he was really good at his job.

This is the only possible take people can have unless they've intimately been around other programs, only I'd say "good" instead of "really good" but that's kind of splitting hairs.

It's just impossible from the outside to know if he was any better than S&C coaches at other programs. Not only are we not able to compare program to program really, but we don't know how much of it is the coach versus the specific players' drive/effort/commitment/etc.

My entire take on it is this: I absolutely, 100%, without hesitation, trust Buzz to hire someone who is very good at this.
TheChameleon
AG
Nice screen name! Playing Yakuza 0 right now. Awesome game. Kind of blown away so far, wasn't expecting this type of story telling. It's 20 bucks in the Xbox Store, absolute steal at that price.
Aston04
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

The kid also lost a hundred lbs in high school and most men gain a lot of muscle tone from 18-21.
Give Darby credit for guiding Davis. But obviously the vast majority of credit goes to Davis himself. Kid was the ultimate team player/hard worker. That takes tremendous self-discipline to make a body transition like that. Really sad we are in a new era in pro basketball that doesn't value his game.
Goro Majima
AG
TheChameleon said:

Nice screen name! Playing Yakuza 0 right now. Awesome game. Kind of blown away so far, wasn't expecting this type of story telling. It's 20 bucks in the Xbox Store, absolute steal at that price.
YEAH BUDDY!!!!!
Method Man
Darby should've given Davis some strength shoes so he could get some hops.
Visor Guy
AG
With athletic activities resuming, I am surprised there hasn't been an announcement regarding a hiring.
MarcAg
AG
Visor Guy said:

With athletic activities resuming, I am surprised there hasn't been an announcement regarding a hiring.

Not surprising if you remember how long it was before assistant coaches were officially announced a year ago.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.