Huggins Wants to Start the Year With the NCAA Tourney

8,226 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
mikesyracuse1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting idea since we had no dance this year.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2020/04/05/bob-huggins-ncaa-tournament-should-start-2020-21-college-hoops-season/2952583001/

Mikesyracuse1
agfan1030
Not the same. Put the past behind and start new. Gives participating teams a head start.
greg.w.h
AG
I have the feeling we would all watch it if there were one...
bobinator
AG
agfan1030 said:

Not the same. Put the past behind and start new. Gives participating teams a head start.
What if you put all 300-whatever teams in it seeded by a committee based on last year's results, games are hosted in pods on the higher seeded teams' campuses until the Final Four, some amount of ticket sales go to relief efforts, once you're eliminated you can keep practicing until the real season starts, and whoever wins isn't declared last year's national champion.

You'd need one round of play in games to get down to 256 teams but once you're there you're only adding one more weekend to the tournament.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
bobinator said:

agfan1030 said:

What if you put all 300-whatever teams in it seeded by a committee based on last year's results, games are hosted in pods on the higher seeded teams' campuses until the Final Four, some amount of ticket sales go to relief efforts, once you're eliminated you can keep practicing until the real season starts, and whoever wins isn't declared last year's national champion.

You'd need one round of play in games to get down to 256 teams but once you're there you're only adding one more weekend to the tournament.
Makes too much sense for it to happen. Come on man, this is the NCAA we're talking about here!
Hop
Staff
AG
Some of the stuff discussed here...
bobinator
AG
Hop, there are literally no sports happening, now is the time to argue every wild idea anyone has.
_lefraud_
AG
32 teams - each conference sends their 2020 champions

8 campus sites, 4 teams, single elimination

8 winners play at a neutral site, single elimination
Method Man
Huggins' liver weighs more than Quentin Jackson.
_lefraud_
AG
This was harder than I thought with Duke and Nova being left out, it really makes the Northeast and East teams hard to place. Oregon deserves to host, but similar to the East, hard to find enough teams (geographically)

Kansas - N. Iowa, Wright St, SFA

Gonzaga - UC Irvine, E. Washington, N. Dakota St

Dayton - Akron, Colgate, Siena

Florida St. - Hofstra, Winthrop, N. Carolina Central

San Diego St. - Oregon, N. Mexico St, Prairie View

Creighton - North Texas, Houston, Arkansas-Little Rock

Kentucky - E. Tennesse St, Belmont, Liberty

Wisconsin - Yale, Vermont, Merrimack
94chem
Only if we play the 1994 World Series first.
94chem

Proposition Joe
I know it's selfish, but I often think about how much more pissed off I'd be about the tourney getting nixed if we were going to be dancing.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Hop, there are literally no sports happening, now is the time to argue every wild idea anyone has.

Uh, let's play with 8-ft. rims and nerf balls.
bobinator
AG
Hop, what the hell is your deal here? The NCAA tournament got cancelled, and we're in like an indeterminate hiatus of all sports.

On top of that, and as a result, every single college sports program is going to face huge budget issues. This is probably going to lead to sports getting cut at small universities.

So, college sports need some ideas that are going to bring in some money. So why is this a bad idea?

Practice normally starts in early October, with games starting in early November, and the NCAA Tournament is normally three weekends long. TV would air it, people would attend it, so this is a way to bring in some extra money for athletic departments (and the NCAA which makes almost all of its money from the NCAA Tournament.)

I don't think it should be THE tournament, and I definitely don't think whoever wins it should be declared national champions, but why do you think an early tournament to kick off next season, raise some more money, etc is such a bad idea that you think EVEN DISCUSSING IT HYPOTHETICALLY ON TEXAGS.COM WHILE THERE ARE LITEARLLY NO SPORTS HAPPENING, is dumb?
greg.w.h
AG
I think discussing it is dumb. But, hey, I'm reading it!!!
AgEfan
Would be crazy, but of course I am in if they did it. But they wont
misterguinness
AG
A season opening tournament would be an interesting way to determine the opening top 25. Much better than the arbitrary method right now.
2+2=5
Pumpkinhead
AG
As of right now, I'll be really grateful if they can just have relatively normal college football and college basketball seasons this Fall, with the seasons starting on time.
expresswrittenconsent
misterguinness said:

A season opening tournament would be an interesting way to determine the opening top 25. Much better than the arbitrary method right now.

Yes, because we hear so many complaints about how invalid the early season hoops top 25 is.
misterguinness
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

misterguinness said:

Yes, because we hear so many complaints about how invalid the early season hoops top 25 is.

It is invalid. Do tell me how highly ranked top-10 finishers Dayton, SDSU and Creighton in the preseason rankings?
2+2=5
expresswrittenconsent
Nobody cares about preseason hoops rankings because there is a 35 game regular season and a 68 team playoff.
I think you meant to post that college football shouldn't have rankings until conference play but got really really lost. The zoo is 2 forums up.
Pumpkinhead
AG
More college athletic and football related, but goes through the current concerns about the college football season and potential huge ripple effects on all of college athletics if COVID-19 significantly affects the football season.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/04/08/college-football-future-2020-ncaa-coronavirus
TXAggie2011
AG
If they can have the NIT Tip-Off tournament, why can't we have some sort of a "NCAA tournament"?

I know it wouldn't be the same but so what? Just don't call the champion the "National champion."
mazag08
AG
Hop said:

bobinator said:

Always nice to see Texags staff engaging the board. Really making me want to spend that $12 per month again.
_lefraud_
AG
I thought that too but then I realized it's just Hop's way of trolling, to get more (any) discussion going.

I'd still love to know what exactly transpired around 2014 for Hop to magically start coming around the basketball board...
PatAg
AG
Hop said:

bobinator said:

We can go back to discussing the virtues of Billy Kennedy if you like.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Hop, what the hell is your deal here? The NCAA tournament got cancelled, and we're in like an indeterminate hiatus of all sports.

On top of that, and as a result, every single college sports program is going to face huge budget issues. This is probably going to lead to sports getting cut at small universities.

So, college sports need some ideas that are going to bring in some money. So why is this a bad idea?

Practice normally starts in early October, with games starting in early November, and the NCAA Tournament is normally three weekends long. TV would air it, people would attend it, so this is a way to bring in some extra money for athletic departments (and the NCAA which makes almost all of its money from the NCAA Tournament.)

I don't think it should be THE tournament, and I definitely don't think whoever wins it should be declared national champions, but why do you think an early tournament to kick off next season, raise some more money, etc is such a bad idea that you think EVEN DISCUSSING IT HYPOTHETICALLY ON TEXAGS.COM WHILE THERE ARE LITEARLLY NO SPORTS HAPPENING, is dumb?

You can discuss whatever hypothetical you want. As a fellow poster and basketball fan, I think it's an irrelevant topic to map out some preseason NCAA Tourney based on some hypothetical seeding from 2019-2020. Nobody is going to sign-on to a full-sized 300-team tourney in the middle of pre-season prep. Coaches want to practice in October, not go play potentially eight games in a "pretend" 2019-2020 NCAA Tourney with an unprepared team while losing practice time in the process. Now, if we're talking about schools playing a preseason game/scrimmage for charity or some COVID victims' fund, that's actually feasible and I'd support it.

But hey, if you want to discuss the details of something that will never happen, go right ahead. I just think it's irrelevant.

TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Coaches want to practice in October, not go play potentially eight games in a "pretend" 2019-2020 NCAA Tourney with an unprepared team while losing practice time in the process.
Wtf. This thread and discussion was essentially started by a coach who said he wanted to do just that.

misterguinness
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Nobody cares about preseason hoops rankings because there is a 35 game regular season and a 68 team playoff.
I think you meant to post that college football shouldn't have rankings until conference play but got really really lost. The zoo is 2 forums up.

I don't know why you feel like you have to have this Tommy Toughballs approach to dialogue, but grow up man. It is called divergent thinking. Some people like to entertain how to improve upon a product. Arbitrary preseason rankings do give teams another tool in fall recruiting.
2+2=5
BrandoC
AG
Teams who have senior heavy squads want to play the tournament because they know they might not be worth a darn next year........
bobinator
Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

If they can have the NIT Tip-Off tournament, why can't we have some sort of a "NCAA tournament"?

I know it wouldn't be the same but so what? Just don't call the champion the "National champion."
There is a big difference between a preseason tournament that lasts a weekend with the actual players that will play the upcoming season. It's a celebration event to start the new season that has little-to-no impact on the preparations for the upcoming season. Maybe the NCAA let's you start practicing 3-4 days earlier.

What you are wanting is bringing back all the players from last year and having a 3-4 weekend event to start a season where 25+% of the players will not have eligibility after the event. It's an idea that came from a coach scattershooting on a local radio show who probably put no serious thought into the execution of the idea. Yeah, it sounds good on the surface, but the details simply aren't feasible. So the NCAA will allow teams to start organized practices in early September for this event? Do coaches split up their 20 hours a week...10 hours for last year's team and 10 hours for next year's team? Must these seniors coming back for this preseason tourney enroll in the school again to play potentially one more game?
bobinator
AG
FWIW in my scenario you'd only have the players that are eligible next year. You don't get to bring back the seniors.
bobinator
AG
And yes, teams could start practice earlier. Partially for this, partially because of how much time they've spent apart.

What other completely insurmountable hurdles do we need, that one only took like 20 seconds.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.