Shelby quotes thread?

5,111 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by oldschool87
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was looking for the Shelby Metcalf story/quote thread. Hopefully to have a good laugh. I've used the search function but can't seem to find anything. Anybody have it?
wacarnolds
AG
https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/598735

https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/886044

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/123208
Legal Custodian
AG
Thank you!
mcag83
AG
Shelby was a classic....
GSPag`
As a student in the late 80's I would quit watching the game and just watch Coach. His expressions were more entertaining.

i think Buzz takes this to a new level. But he does not have Shelby's humor. And only Abe Lemons could get close.
EXCELL
Shelby was the king of Aggie basketball. Always was. Always will be.
One of the toughest recruiting locations in the NCAA ... rural, lily white and largely military.

A great coach who adapted to the rapidly changing environment.
A great coach who loved his players as his own kids.
A great coach who loved, no ... revered, Texas A&M.
And, without challenge, the best sense of humor and quickest wit of any collegiate basketball coach anywhere, ever.
OldArmy71
AG
I love those threads. Great stories!

I was on campus 1967-1971 and went to a lot of basketball games. I was in the Corps, not the band, but my memory is that the whole band went to the conference games, but maybe it was just half.

Anyway, I don't recall reading a word about all these funny anecdotes at the time. I don't remember any stories about Coach Metcalf in the Batt or in the Houston Chronicle or in the DMN, which were the three papers I had access to. We had very little access to TV.

I knew who he was because I had followed the Aggies as a child and knew we won the SWC in 1964, knew the careers of Lenox and Beasley, etc.

Also, we won the SWC when I was a sophomore. He obviously was an excellent coach, especially given how spartan the campus was in those days.

I just don't remember that he was much appreciated on campus or in any media I had access to.
CapCityAg89
AG
Shelby story: Janice, his wife, was my 7th grade ELA teacher. During that year (79 or 80), there was a tragic accident where a teacher and student were rear-ended at an intersection - pickup drove right over the top of the car and killed both of them. The student sat in front of me in Mrs. Metcalf's class and it really shook me up. Mrs. Metcalf invited me to dinner a couple times to talk about it and Coach was awesome - told funny stories and answered all my stupid questions. I'll never forget the kindness of those two.

Side note: he brought Rudy Woods by class one day to help cheer everyone up (I remember he had on a USA olympics sweatshirt - my head came up to the bottom of the "S").
GSPag`
EXCELL said:

Shelby was the king of Aggie basketball. Always was. Always will be.
One of the toughest recruiting locations in the NCAA ... rural, lily white and largely military.

A great coach who adapted to the rapidly changing environment.
A great coach who loved his players as his own kids.
A great coach who loved, no ... revered, Texas A&M.
And, without challenge, the best sense of humor and quickest wit of any collegiate basketball coach anywhere, ever.

I remember an interview that Calipari gave when we joined the conference. He talked about getting a GA position at A&M and how excited he was to work under a great coach like Shelby but before he could start he was offered an assistant position at another school. He said in the interview that he had always wondered how much better of a coach he would have been had he been with Shelby.
_lefraud_
AG
Damn communists
coloradoag69
AG
Shelby was a true Aggie, and a great basketball coach. He spanned the era when A&M was developing into the large, more diverse university it had grown into by the 1980s from the all male, military focused school it was in the mid-60s.

The neat thing about Shelby was that he was a better man than a basketball coach. He managed to integrate the basketball team in the early 70's, with quality players that kept A&M competitive when the other SWC schools in more urban areas had a much easier time getting black players onto campus. I know now that doesn't seem like a big deal, but i'm sure the older Ags will attest to this.

Here's the Shelby story I haven't seen elsewhere. As reported elsewhere, the Aggies won the SWC championship in 1969 and beat Trinity 81-66 to advance to the round of 16. Their opponent was Drake, a team who beat Louisville in the Missouri Valley Conference, and would turn out to be the most underrated team in the tournament that year.

When asked by the media how his Aggies would stack up against Drake, Shelby made this comment - or one very similar to it. "Well, they are really fast. I don't know if we can keep up with them". "How fast?", asked a reporter. Shelby didn't miss a beat: "The last team that I saw faster than them won the roller derby last year".

Unfortunately, he was right. The Ags lost 63 - 81, and were really never in the game. However, Drake made it to the final four, and gave the Kareen Abdul Jabar led UCLA powerhouse all they wanted, loosing 85-82. At that time there was also a third place game, and Drake beat North Carolina to officially place 3rd in the tournament. In retrospect, that lass was nothing to hang your head on.

I just remembered a second Shelby quote. I've forgotten exactly which year it was, but it was in the early '70s, and the Ags went to play a preconference game against UCLA at Pauly Pavillon. UCLA was in their dynasty years, and the game wasn't very close. In a postgame interview, Shelby was asked whether he thought his team was intimidated playing UCLA at home. In typical Shelby mode he replied, "Well, I don't know about them, but I sure was".

Enjoy the memory of a great coach and a great man. There aren't a whole lot of those around.
CapCityAg89
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Damn communists

Right!!! *******s.
William_C_G
AG
Coloradoag69: Unfortunately, the UCLA game was pre-conference, but not pre-season. That UCLA team did not lose a game that year, was the national champion, and was loaded with future NBA and ABA players. It remains the worst loss in Aggie basketball history.
coloradoag69
AG
William,

Thanks for the correction. I meant pre-conference. I remember listening to the game on the radio and just wilting as UCLA scored at will. I looked it up, and the final score was 53 - 117. UGH!!!!!!!!!!

We had a killer pre-conference schedule. Our first five games were Tulsa, UCLA, New Mexico, Creighton, and Michigan State, all loses. However, we then beat LSU, George Washington, Virginia Tech and Trinity to start conference at 4 - 5. We went 9 - 5 in conference to finish the year 13 - 10. It may have been one of Shelby's best coaching jobs.
fasthorse05
I love these stories. I'm class of '84, and my dad was class of '54, so I grew up with Shelby's basketball at A&M.

The first Aggie basketball player I really remember being impressed with was Mario Brown. This was pre-Barry Davis and Sonny Parker. We drove down to a game at G. Rollie, and I watched Mario Brown tear 'em up.

The other thing I remember was the prospective football recruits being introduced at half time of the game. It was no big deal then, but could never imagine it happening today (not to mention it's against NCAA guidelines).
Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
Raven
S
Shelby was a great friend of mine, first meeting him in 1968. Over the years Shelby, Janice and Shelly were incredibly nice to me, my wife and children. I may have posted this quip, but in the off chance I have not shared it I will take a stab at it.....after a very competitive and close game the Aggies came up short at the end....the next day Shelby met with the press to discuss the game....a reporter asked Shelby, "how did you sleep last night coach after such a tough game"....to which Shelby replied" I slept like a baby...I slept an hour and cried an hour an slept an hour and cried an hour'....Classic Shelby.
wsjag
AG
When asked about a recruit who had been called "the Crockett rocket"

Shelby said: "I'm just glad he wasn't from Tucker"
CT'73
AG
Shelby was asked about a player that had made all Fs except one D on his report card. He said "I told him he was spending too much time on one subject".
bigtupy
Coach and I became great friends and I, We used to go to all the A&M football games together. After one game in the 70's when we were not having a good football year, we were walking out of Kyle field after a terrible loss and a fan told Coach, " Shelby, I can't wait till basketball season starts", Which Shelby replied, "When you see us play you'll be hollering "Batter up"......
Big E
Legal Custodian
AG
bigtupy said:

Coach and I became great friends and I, We used to go to all the A&M football games together. After one game in the 70's when we were not having a good football year, we were walking out of Kyle field after a terrible loss and a fan told Coach, " Shelby, I can't wait till basketball season starts", Which Shelby replied, "When you see us play you'll be hollering "Batter up"......

I never heard that story. Sounds like he was was a pretty quick witted guy
oldschool87
AG
Gonna get me a glass bottom boat so I can see Abe Lemons face when I run over him!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.