87 SWC Championship on YouTube

2,392 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
CapCityAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DMac!!!!

Ags up 15-8 some time in the 1sr (no game clock on Raycom). Great defense (they really let them play D in the 80s). Short three line but hardly any attempts so far. Finger roll was still a thing - what happened to that shot?!

UFO full of Rodney Dangerfields just landed in a Miller Lite commercial. Awesome.

Side note: I miss Shelby.
CapCityAg89
AG
Big Mike Clifford. 3-38 on the season from the free throw line.
expresswrittenconsent
Crazy that the early 3pt line was not regulated. I was flipping channels and saw an ACC game from 85 or 86 and the 3pt line was like 17ft, so the line cut through the circle at the top of the lane and was maybe 1 step behind the FT line.
CapCityAg89
AG
34-21 at the half!! Crite with 7 I think.
CapCityAg89
AG
Man. I don't remember that. The line here is what I really remember - tangent to the top of the key.
CapCityAg89
AG
Also - mid 80s Fords were ugly as *****
expresswrittenconsent
CapCityAg89
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

CapCityAg89
AG
Note - A&M leads by 12. Scored 34 points and was 0/0 from 3. Baylor way behind for most of the half only 2/3. Just a different game.
CapCityAg89
AG
For the record ...
CapCityAg89
AG
I remembered this being an awesome game and I guess from an Aggie perspective, it was. Although awesome ass kicking would be more apt - not really much of a game.
Hop
Staff
AG
I was at that entire tournament. That was my graduation present to myself. We ran the gauntlet of the SWC that year...TCU, Tech, Baylor.
CapCityAg89
AG
Hop said:

I was at that entire tournament. That was my graduation present to myself. We ran the gauntlet of the SWC that year...TCU, Tech, Baylor.

I was iced in at a friends house in Wimberly. The FMs around there were like a rink. Watched this game on TV but can't remember if any of the others were broadcast.
Isaih Smollett
Highlight play at 1:23:10
alamoaggie64
AG
This is when we were bottom seed, right? Got TCU in first round and ran it to 11-0 before TCU scored. A great weekend!
alamoaggie64
alamoaggie64
AG
Really? Then it was not tournament I remember. It was good weather year I was thinking of.
alamoaggie64
Chuck Gay
AG
Hop said:

I was there too. I was a freshman. Went with my freshman Aggie roommate and stayed with a buddy from high school in his dorm at SMU. We probably ran into each other because there couldn't have been more than a handful of Aggie students at the entire thing.

I think I made most of those as a student. Later, I became a friend of Brooks Thompson as a student. I knew we were in trouble when he took all of his stuff for Spring Break to Dallas so he could head straight from Dallas to the beach.
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
This is great, but can't one of you find the link for this in HD????
94chem
I was at that game, and the whole tournament. Before it started, I had my program signed on the same page by John David Crow and Shelby Metcalf. Shelby signed "Happy Scoreboards." My favorite piece of sports memorabilia. I saw Crow hug Shelby after the game. Nice moment for 2 men who didn't see eye to eye.

Loved the charging call on D-mac when he posterized the guy standing under the basket. D-mac walks to the bench, and the assistant coach carefully explains to him that this is a game refereed by middle-aged white guys.

Also, post defense was easier when nobody on the court could shoot.

Winston Crite was one of the best players in Aggie history, but he'd just be another dude in today's game.

Clifford looked a legit 6'8". Scary specimen by the standards of that day. No wonder he was such a good post defender.
Method Man
Didn't crite dunk on dream?
94chem
Method Man said:

Didn't crite dunk on dream?

Probably. Crite could dunk on anybody, but a man that size who couldn't score outside the paint would be an unlikely star today. Of course he was a great athlete, and if he had grown up today, he would have been training relentlessly on the outside shot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.