2007 Durant vs Acie game about to start on ESPNU

2,801 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Method Man
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In case you're interested.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Man, I love this team. I almost forgot how great they were. Shame they didn't go farther in the dance.
Method Man
Such a great game. Hate Damion James.
Method Man
I will never love a team as much as this one.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Method Man said:

Agreed
JaceAG12
Gah I love this game.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bet you $100 Acie drains a 3 over KD here.
ebag02
AG
That shot by Acie to force OT was amazing.
Leander - Ag
Hop
Staff
AG
"That's what I do"
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hop said:

"That's what I do"
Leander - Ag
Hop
Staff
AG
Augustin was too quick for our guards.
aggiejohn
AG
Hop said:

Hurricane Katrina recruited him to Texas as much as Barnes did...
mazag08
AG
Hop said:

We still win that game if the referees call it evenly.

We had 10+ fouls with one minute left in the game. Texas had 5. It was an extremely physical game but only called one way. We had Jones, Carter, and Kirk all foul out. We win if they don't. We almost won even though they did.
Method Man
They did get a lot of calls.
Double Diamond
This was basketball. Best A&M team what a time.
CapCityAg89
AG
Double Diamond said:

This was basketball. Best A&M team what a time.

The Wall says "hi" but I hear you - good times.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

Give buzz a few years
AggieEP
Best team but worst ending to a season. Usually we just get our doors blown off and it's obvious we weren't good enough to win the tourney. But we had that Memphis team beat. Acie had a wide open layup to put us up three that he missed, then Memphis gets like 4 offensive rebounds in a row before finally getting a foul call with 4 seconds remaining and a 50% shooter drains both free throws. BCG then apparently didn't have anything better than a halfcourt heave ready to go for that situation... such a depressing end.
Method Man
txag10
AG
Usually get our doors blown off? We lost on a wild 3 in the final 5 seconds to LSU the year prior, lost on a no call foul in final seconds to UCLA the next year, and two years after that lost in overtime to Purdue on a shot with 5-6 seconds left ..... Plenty of excruciating exits
Pumpkinhead
AG
AggieEP said:

Best team but worst ending to a season. Usually we just get our doors blown off and it's obvious we weren't good enough to win the tourney. But we had that Memphis team beat. Acie had a wide open layup to put us up three that he missed, then Memphis gets like 4 offensive rebounds in a row before finally getting a foul call with 4 seconds remaining and a 50% shooter drains both free throws. BCG then apparently didn't have anything better than a halfcourt heave ready to go for that situation... such a depressing end.
Not the worst possible ending, though. Worst ending would have been a pandemic cancelling the 2007 NCAA tournament, and we'd have all been sitting here right now saying 'remember that 2006-2007 BCG team with Acie, Kirk, Jones, etc.? I wonder how far they would have gotten if the post-season hadn't been cancelled that year'.

2020 has no made me appreciate more an NCAA tournament actually happening, regardless of who is playing in it or who wins.

AggieEP
I should have clarified, usually get our doors blown off in the sweet sixteen. We've never made it past there and into the elite eight as far as I know, and that should have been the year.

All the examples you listed are from the round of 32, and two of them (LSU and UCLA) went on to the final four which in some way softened the heart break a bit because we were big underdogs in terms of seeding and almost pulled off huge wins.

I was there for the UCLA game and the Memphis game covering them for KZNE, and the Memphis game was a totally different kind of gut punch. Most of that is because I really expected that team to reach the final four. We were so well coached and had the most confident and clutch player in program history playing his best ball. For him to miss a layup and then not get the ball for the last shot was crushing.

For statistical backup, we lost 7 games on the year, one was a 12 point loss on the road to LSU. The other 6 losses came by a combined 11 points. That team had a chance to win every game and Acie usually won it for us.
_lefraud_
AG
A buddy of mine and I have been discussing that team/season quote a bit lately. That team just wasn't firing on all cylinders down the stretch. Opening round loss in conference tournament, slow start vs Penn, and then squeaking past Lville.

Sure, even the losses were close, or eveb heart breaking. But come March, ir just wasn't the same team that won at Kansas, and then less than 48 hours later, drummed Durant and crew at Reed.

In a weird way that '07 team, which is my absolute favorite Aggie team, under achieved by not making the final four, IMO.
txag10
AG
I hear you ... makes sense. I agree Memphis was probably most gut wrenching. But LSU with a chance to go to the sweet 16 in our first tourney appearance since '87, fighting 1-seed UCLA all the way to the wire in Anaheim, and losing to Purdue with a Sweet 16 appearance in Houston on the line...all devastating for me (was at all).
Method Man
Why do Aggies think we were better than Memphis or tOSU who we would've faced later? I agree we weren't as great towards the end of the year but I'm not sure I remember it that well. We lost to osu in big 12 tourney right?
Serious Lee
Method Man said:

Why do Aggies think we were better than Memphis or tOSU who we would've faced later?
not sure but memphis was like a 9 man track squad. the difference in athleticism was alarming. tOSU would have been worse for us.

The B12 was what, a 4 bid league that year? i think the louisville game showed more of what an ACC/Big east/B10 grind would have been like.
Method Man
3 bid iirc. Maybe you're right. Maybe tech or KSU made it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.