Buzz Williams should get SEC Coach of the Year

7,018 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fatdad84ag
SECTAMU#1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am impressed by the abilities of Coach Williams and how well prepared this team is down the stretch. He and his coaching staff have instilled an accountability by this team to execute and improve throughout this season and especially in conference play.

I sincerely believe Buzz should be the SEC Coach of the Year.

Great job and I am looking forward to watching this team through the end of the season.
BigOil
AG
Based on expectations prior to conference play, that's a no-brainer.
halfastros81
AG
Needs ten conference wins to get serious consideration imo. The coaching staff has been fantastic and the players have bought in!
JRB78
AG
Our team now seems to have the same mental toughness Buzz has. It was another big win.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If the season ended today, I think he would deserve it.

But, still 4 more games to play. Lose out and 8-10 probably wouldn't cut it with the voters.

Needs to still pull off at least another upset or two, and the Arkansas game at Reed just got harder with Joe back.

Buzz is definitely right in the middle of the conversation though right now.
Rock1982
AG
Absolutely amazing work by Buzz.
Aston04
AG
While we are giving out props--- Credit to Davis... The big men have made huge strides this season. Nebo's pro career (even if abroad) has benefited greatly from the work put in this season. And sky is limit for Miller. He's a versatile animal out there. If he can knock down open treys he could become really dangerous.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I wasn't paying attention early on but heard an sec radio show day 5 conference wins would be a realistic expectation for his first year. He's done a hell of a job.
Muy
AG
The main thing... recruits are paying attention to Buzz.
iluvpoker
Seems like an uphill battle. How many coaches have won SEC COY since we joined that did not make the dance? If it's zero then I'm not expecting Buzz to be the first.

Hoping for a miracle these last 4 games!
war hymn aggie
AG
Buzz's team now is light years ahead of where it was at the start of conference play.
Little Rock Ag
AG
I think Musselman has a good shot at it, but his fortunes swing greatly when Isaiah Joe isn't healthy. But, he was a good hire for the Hogs; I think Williams is better, though.
Cranch69
AG
So much for Hop's early criticism of the quality of his assistants.
DukeMu
war hymn aggie said:

Buzz's team now is light years ahead of where it was at the start of conference play.
Buzz tore it down to build it up.

We had garbage losses early, but are...

2-1 vs kenpom top 50 and 4-5 vs. Top 100. IF (and a huge if) we won somehow 3 of the remaining 4 games, and win a couple of games in the SECT, Ags would be on the bubble, maybe the good side.

A win against a beatable KY team would be a signature win. Calipari is not a game coach, and BK's staff (particularly with Stansbury and Keller) were able to come up with effective game plans.

I'm not saying it could happen...but it could happen.
SilverTongueDevil
From a loss to a really bad Fairfield team to this discussion. Wow. What a turnaround!
#Buzz2020
czar_iv
AG
Cranch69 said:

So much for Hop's early criticism of the quality of his assistants.

With Hop's blind and unnatural loyalty to BK, you have to take what he posts with a grain of salt
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
SquirrellyDan
AG
Buzz's interview after the game was awesome. Talked about his guys learning and focusing on doing less rather than asking for more was great. Gave credit to the staff for making doing simple things automatically and focusing on small things to win. He's a hell of a coach.
Texker
AG
Buzz can coach. But we already knew that before he arrived. I don't usually watch the tv post game interview but happened to catch it today. Very interesting to hear Buzz talk about accountability and actually holding the players accountable for fewer things. He gave credit to his staff for identifying what they were going to hold the team accountable for in the game and focusing just on those areas.
Sananag
Two more wins and i think he gets it. Good luck Buzz.
SECTAMU#1
Regardless if the Ags get a win versus Arkansas or not, I strongly believe Coach Williams should be awarded the SEC Coach of the year. Great win at Auburn where the Tigers were undefeated at home all season until we beat them on their own court!

aggie67,74&76
BigOil
AG
He is a shockingly good coach. A great blend of passion and analytics. I am fully stunned at how the season has progressed.
MidTnAg
AG
I strongly believe Buzz will definitely be named the SEC Coach of the Year. For starters, I don't believe anybody actually thought he would win more than 4 games this year. Media Preseason Poll --- 12th.
I was hoping we would not have a Vanderbilt type year (zero conference wins).

Who else would even be considered? Calipari is a joke of a coach. A good AAU coach would do better with his roster than he has done. Can you imagine what Buzz could do if he had a roster of SEVEN 5-Star players plus a transfer who last year in his conference was 5th in scoring and 1st in rebounding?
halfastros81
AG
I think Buzz will get very strong consideration for SEC COY if the Ags beat Arkansas Saturday. He'll be considered even if the Ags don't win but the argument is significantly stronger with the W.

Calipari is better than he is credited for imo. It isn't easy to get 5-8 future NBA players with prima Donna (or is it Pre-Madonna tendencies working together with less than a yr to do it in almost every cycle. Having said that, Buzz did it with far less talent.
ironmanag
AG
halfastros81 said:

I think Buzz will get very strong consideration for SEC COY if the Ags beat Arkansas Saturday. He'll be considered even if the Ags don't win but the argument is significantly stronger with the W.

Calipari is better than he is credited for imo. It isn't easy to get 5-8 future NBA players with prima Donna tendencies working together with less than a yr to do it in almost every cycle. Having said that, Buzz did it with far less talent.
Cal is low hanging fruit though. He is likely the easy pick every year.

No one saw what Buzz has done coming.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Pumpkinhead
AG
MidTnAg said:

I strongly believe Buzz will definitely be named the SEC Coach of the Year. For starters, I don't believe anybody actually thought he would win more than 4 games this year. Media Preseason Poll --- 12th.
I was hoping we would not have a Vanderbilt type year (zero conference wins).

Who else would even be considered? Calipari is a joke of a coach. A good AAU coach would do better with his roster than he has done. Can you imagine what Buzz could do if he had a roster of SEVEN 5-Star players plus a transfer who last year in his conference was 5th in scoring and 1st in rebounding?
I don't disagree with comments about Buzz being deserving, but Calipari is a very good college basketball coach, obviously an elite recruiter but he does a pretty good job each season getting a bunch of prima-donna 5-star players many looking towards an NBA draft just 9 months away to play cohesively. And he also has to do that under the intense spotlight and fan/media scrutiny at Kentucky which has one of if not the most rabid basketball fan bases in the country.

That is not an easy coaching job at UK despite the recruiting advantages and there are few college coaches in the country who could go in there and do as a good a job as Calipari has. A 'good AAU coach' would probably get melted down and physically destroyed by the Lexington machine, the player egos, & expectations there within half a season.

TexanJeff
AG
Bump.

Cause now I REALLY believe this is true.

Going 10-8 is something I truly thought impossible after the Starks debacle.

What a season.

The future is bright boys, literally never been so excited for a coach. (Truth I had no idea who Kennedy, Turge, and Kennedy were before they came here so this is not a high bar haha).

Gig em Buzz Williams!!!!!!!
halfastros81
AG
IMHO, Buzz deserves it. Accomplishing 10-8 with this roster and the start we had ... nothing short of incredible.
sleepybeagle
Ag Eng 92
AG
TexanJeff said:

Bump.

Cause now I REALLY believe this is true.

Going 10-8 is something I truly thought impossible after the Starks debacle.

What a season.

The future is bright boys, literally never been so excited for a coach. (Truth I had no idea who Kennedy, Turge, and Kennedy were before they came here so this is not a high bar haha).

Gig em Buzz Williams!!!!!!!

I had completely forgotten about Starks. In my opinion, those kinds of facts make the case so strong. Starks was arguably our best returning player, and without him we not only were rebuilt but became better than we would have been with him. Truly remarkable.
Muy
AG
Starks May have had the best raw talent, but sometimes you have to remove the drama/toxicity to let the whole team develop.

Great job by Buzz.
Agnzona
So excited for the future. What will be different style wise once Buzz gets some of his own players in here? Aside from the slow starts I like how this team played.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
agsalaska
AG
Calipari would vote for Buzz
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Pumpkinhead
AG
He absolutely deserves coach of the year. His team was pre-season picked to finish 12th and conference and they finished 7th. No other SEC team came any where near that exceeding expectations as much as Buzz's team did.
Charlie 31
AG

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.