Won't happen, but ...

8,065 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EXCELL
EXCELL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can say I never, ever expected Buzz & crew to win more than 4 in the conference, maybe 5.

Given the talent level, Buzz should be given serious consideration for SEC Coach of the Year. Rarely has anyone done so much with so little.

Won't happen, but ...
bobinator
AG
Might happen because people might not want to give it to Cal, Pearl or Wade
AggieEyes
AG
Finally after 8 years I can enjoy our basketball team again.

Really proud of our coaches and our guys.

The future is bright!
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

I think he is still at least a couple more SEC wins short to get strong consideration.
bobinator
AG
Well yeah, we at least have to finish .500
halfastros81
AG
If he were to win ten conference games he
Might get the nod. Imo , he would deserve it in that case.
MMantle
AG
You didn't enjoy Aggie basketball when we went to Sweet 16 in 2016 and 2018?

RR
Ervin Burrell
AG
AggieEyes said:

Finally after 8 years I can enjoy our basketball team again.

Really proud of our coaches and our guys.

The future is bright!
Stupid post. I disliked BK as a coach as much as anyone, but I'm not sure what to say if you didn't have any fun in 2016 or 2018.
CapCityAg89
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

bobinator said:

I think he is still at least a couple more SEC wins short to get strong consideration.
I LOVE Buzz, but still think Cal deserves it for this year. They've made similar improvements to A&M after starting at a higher spot. Sure, they've got better talent in general, but Cal recruited all of that. This is a very different team from his 1ND specials the last several and they are playing such good basketball right now. If they continue that through the end of the season, he's likely a slam dunk.

I think Buzz needs to end up 10-8 to even be in the conversation; likely with a head to head win.

Pearl has done a great job with lesser talent, but has come back a bit. Wade is a scum bag and should never even be considered, and fortunately has also come back (lack of anything resembling defense is catching up to them).
wacarnolds
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

bobinator said:

I LOVE Buzz, but still think Cal deserves it for this year. They've made similar improvements to A&M after starting at a higher spot. Sure, they've got better talent in general, but Cal recruited all of that. This is a very different team from his 1ND specials the last several and they are playing such good basketball right now. If they continue that through the end of the season, he's likely a slam dunk.
The way Cal has turned a depth chart made up almost entirely of 5-star recruits into one of the best teams in a bad conference has been impressive
TXAggie2011
AG
Considering where folks thought they would be after their roster turnover, if South Carolina trudges into the NCAAs again, I'd quite possibly lean towards giving Frank Martin the award.
AggieEyes
AG
BK had talent at times however you would rarely see a fundamentally sound product on the floor. It was infuriating.

Buzz would've killed it with TD, Hogg, Gilder, Williams, TTM, Caruso, House, Jones etc, etc

bobinator
AG
South Carolina probably has to win 4 of their next 5 to feel good going into the SEC Tournament, but yeah if they pull that off it would definitely be Martin.
bobinator
AG
Buzz probably would have kicked Hogg off the team as soon as he met him.
Pumpkinhead
AG
AggieEyes said:

BK had talent at times however you would rarely see a fundamentally sound product on the floor. It was infuriating.

Buzz would've killed it with TD, Hogg, Gilder, Williams, TTM, Caruso, House, Jones etc, etc

Kennedy also pretty much 'killed it' with that roster, beating Texas, Gonzaga, Baylor, Kansas State, and Iowa State in non-conference, winning A&M's only conference title in basketball, and making the Sweet Sixteen. That team was finished Top-20 overall in Kenpom (and Top-10 defensively) and was 'fundamentally sound' by college team standards.

Where you see a better coach like Buzz really shine IMO is with inferior rosters that are not loaded like that 2015-2016 roster, like this year's roster.
Isaih Smollett
Quote:

Kennedy also pretty much 'killed it' with that roster, beating Texas, Gonzaga, Baylor, Kansas State, and Iowa State in non-conference, winning A&M's only conference title in basketball, and making the Sweet Sixteen.

Yeah but he also have 5 straight wtf conference losses
Method Man
In Buzz's last sweet 16 season he loses to Duke after a beautiful inbounds play that a player unfortunately missed. In BK's last sweet 16, we lost by a hundred to Michigan.
Pumpkinhead
AG
machine20 said:

Quote:

Kennedy also pretty much 'killed it' with that roster, beating Texas, Gonzaga, Baylor, Kansas State, and Iowa State in non-conference, winning A&M's only conference title in basketball, and making the Sweet Sixteen.

Yeah but he also have 5 straight wtf conference losses
And then they righted the ship and won the conference, including beating Kentucky at home and having a great SEC tournament.

I'll continue defending on this board that 2015-2016 team as one of the two best teams in A&M history, second only to the 2006-2007. Very likable players who gave great effort most nights and the coaching was generally fine that year. I think posters trying to bag on the 2015-2016 season are trying too hard to hate. That was a great Aggie hoops season IMO that should be remembered fondly.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

In Buzz's last sweet 16 season he loses to Duke after a beautiful inbounds play that a player unfortunately missed. In BK's last sweet 16, we lost by a hundred to Michigan.
Unlike the 2015-2016 team which I really liked and have no problem defending and arguing for, I didn't like that 2017-2018 team at all...regardless of the Sweet Sixteen appearance.

All the knucklehead crap and inconsistent effort...I eventually threw in the towel on a bunch of those players early in conference play as I realized that I as a fan maybe cared more about A&M having a good season than those players did. There were still several highs like destroying Kentucky in Reed, beating a top-10 Auburn team on the road, and of course that weekend in Charlotte, but they were so VERY hard to like.

Except for Duane Wilson...I really liked that kid and he basically gave up his knee for our program. Him I definitely respected along with Tyler Davis, but several of the others, nope.
Method Man
Ok and that great team and I agree they were great got killed by OU and had no shot about ten minutes in. I think it's a results based industry but also I think it's good to feel like you're gonna have your team's best shot no matter what. I think we are edging that way but we still have a ways to go.
bobinator
AG
I just don't get why people feel the need to quantify this season with previous seasons. It's not like in the TexAgs bylaws that you have to criticize the Kennedy era in order to praise the current team.
txag72
AG
Quote:

Damn Bobinator, where were you when I needed ya? Or is that a troll? And 3 stars already?
Aston04
AG
Quote:

And then they righted the ship and won the conference, including beating Kentucky at home and having a great SEC tournament.

Yes- Co-champs. Lost to fellow co-champ at conference tourney.
Aston04
AG
bobinator said:

I just don't get why people feel the need to quantify this season with previous seasons. It's not like in the TexAgs bylaws that you have to criticize the Kennedy era in order to praise the current team.
it's hard to avoid obvious contrasts. We did a 180 turn in coaching quality.

But you are right--- the focus should be on the future. Which is NOW very bright.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, and like, I get it... it just seems overdone sometimes.
Aston04
AG
and I agree. For one, I need to do better to not take the bait when people post stuff about bk... Even if seems revisionist history a bit....
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Hogg and Buzz....Yikes...

Buzz would have loved Caruso, House, and Jones though. They would have done just fine together.
bobinator
AG
I think it might have taken a while with House.

I think the most Buzz player of the 2016-18 era would be Tyler Davis.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

What if we had Jimbo instead of Sumlin coaching the 2012 football team. How much better would we have been that season? Let's discuss.
mdanyc03
AG
Preach
mdanyc03
AG
bobinator said:

I think it might have taken a while with House.

I think the most Buzz player of the 2016-18 era would be Tyler Davis.

In personality?

Certainly not schematically.
Method Man
Jones, Caruso, Wilson, Trocha
BeeringAintEasy
AG
Could you imagine if we had gilder this year?
bobinator
AG
Yeah, just meant work ethic/leadership wise.
Triple-T
AG
Buzz da Man.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.