WHAT IF?

3,884 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
CastilloAg_16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What if Buzz Williams would have coached our 15-18 basketball squads? Do you think he would have made it passed the sweet 16?
Aston04
AG
We are were horrifically under coached the last 8 years. Hard not to play what could have have been with the Davis class... But time to move on... The pendulum is turning based off who we have on the sideline.... Now we need to support him as fans.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Don't expect a huge jump next year

Still no go to shooters and we lose Nebo
Mikeyshooter
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Manage expectations.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Maroon Dawn said:

Manage expectations.

Expectations managed
TopoTacos
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Not expecting anything earth-shattering, but with the guys having another year in the system, McNeilly getting healthy, and a true PG in Diarra coming in we could be pretty fun to watch.
Ag_EE_88
AG
No. Because that team doesn't match up with how Buzz runs his system. At least one of those guys on that team likely would have been kicked off just like Starks was.
Pumpkinhead
AG
CastilloAg_16 said:

What if Buzz Williams would have coached our 15-18 basketball squads? Do you think he would have made it passed the sweet 16?

No. Those Oklahoma and Michigan teams that beat us in the Sweet Sixteen those 2 seasons were GREAT teams that made the Final Four and (in the case of Michigan) the National Title game.

Yes, maybe we would have been more competitive in those games with different coaching and game prep, who knows, but let's remember that we lost to a couple of great teams who beat a lot of other good teams that season.

That 15-16 A&M team, as soon as we ran into a Nova or an OU with Hield and Co. in the bracket we were probably going to be done.
Aston04
AG
I agree calling the UM team great. Including the coach leading them. Calling the OU team that year I think is a giant stretch and we were completely embarrassed by them too...
txag72
AG
Quote:

Maybe it's unmanaged expectations, but I have this sneaking feeling some 6'10" monster JC or ? will show up, or at least a quality back up for Aku.

What's the scoop on RS Vaughn, 6-10, 237 lbs.?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aston04 said:

I agree calling the UM team great. Including the coach leading them. Calling the OU team that year I think is a giant stretch and we were completely embarrassed by them too...

That OU team had the best player on the court in Hield who was national player of the year, had a core of guys who had played 3+ seasons together, and was a 2-seed 29-win team that went to the Final Four. They were at worst a 'very good' team. And Kruger is a very good college coach.

There was no shame in losing to that OU team. Just wish it had been more competitive obviously.

I won't try to defend that second Sweet Sixteen team because that bunch Particularly with all the off court problems was incredibly frustrating and unlikable.

But that 2015-2016 team led by Caruso, House, and Jones was a pretty wonderful team and I don't know why Aggie fans wouldn't appreciate and have fond memories of At least that one season.

Hop
Staff
AG
txag72 said:

Quote:

Maybe it's unmanaged expectations, but I have this sneaking feeling some 6'10" monster JC or ? will show up, or at least a quality back up for Aku.

What's the scoop on RS Vaughn, 6-10, 237 lbs.?

How about a 6-11 long-armed shot blocker? Carlton Linguard of Temple College. Saw him a couple of weeks ago and posted interview and highlights in premium. Buzz and staff were at the game as well.
Hop
Staff
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Just curious how you know there are no good shooters when there will be four new guards in 2020-2021?
FTAG 2000
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Four guards coming in. Don't forget that Cass is redshirting too, who was considered the best shooter of our class coming in this year.

TxAgswin
AG
Quote:

guys having another year in the system
Why do I hate that phrase so much?
Aston04
AG
Quote:

But that 2015-2016 team led by Caruso, House, and Jones was a pretty wonderful team and I don't know why Aggie fans wouldn't appreciate and have fond memories of At least that one season.

Fair or not- A sweet 16+ run by Buzz would be much more enjoyable for many fans.

To tell the truth it does all call come down to not caring for the relative skill set of the previous coach (thinking he shouldn't be our coach, a belief many shared who closely watched the team)... Wins that year helped mask the problem we knew of- making it overall less fun than it should have been. Some may say that's not fair- but it is what it is....

Back to OU, yes Buddy had a great season. But they weren't that good- surely House, Caruso, Jones, Davis, etc competently coached should have been very competitive with that OU squad. Instead we played a completely uncompetitive, uninspired game- just like v. UM... The kind of game that's so bad that even non-basketball fans ask you what happened when they hear about... If I remember, it's not like that OU team lost on a buzzer beater or anything when they went out... There were just very good most of the year.
txag72
AG
Quote:

Quote:
guys having another year in the system
Quote:

Why do I hate that phrase so much?

You've never seen a player improve from year to the next? Look at Nebo for a start. I mean, he was good last year and probably a bit over-shadowed, but he's a difference maker on the court this year.
bobinator
AG
What if Buzz Williams would have been coaching the Texans at the Alamo?
bobinator
AG
I actually also hate the phrase "in the system." Sounds like we're running some kind of complicated scheme that's hard to pick up.

But, I do think there are some things we'll see now that Buzz has had a year to actually see these guys on the court.

- The current players will know what to expect and can help bring the younger players along as opposed to it being new for everyone. Should help team chemistry especially early in the season.
- Buzz will have a much better idea going into the year how the pieces fit together.
- Eman will get better at shooting
- Aku will develop some basic low post moves.
Aggies1322
AG
bobinator said:

Jim Bowie wouldve been suspended indefinitely.
GE
AG
What if this team had Gilder, Starks, and Blackshear?
Know Your Enemy
AG
GE said:

What if this team had Gilder, Starks, and Blackshear?

And Grimes.
bobinator
AG
Apparently Blackshear was never an option? That whole deal is still odd
Hop
Staff
AG
Aston04 said:

Quote:

Fair or not- A sweet 16+ run by Buzz would be much more enjoyable for many fans.

To tell the truth it does all call come down to not caring for the relative skill set of the previous coach (thinking he shouldn't be our coach, a belief many shared who closely watched the team)... Wins that year helped mask the problem we knew of- making it overall less fun than it should have been. Some may say that's not fair- but it is what it is....

Back to OU, yes Buddy had a great season. But they weren't that good- surely House, Caruso, Jones, Davis, etc competently coached should have been very competitive with that OU squad. Instead we played a completely uncompetitive, uninspired game- just like v. UM... The kind of game that's so bad that even non-basketball fans ask you what happened when they hear about... If I remember, it's not like that OU team lost on a buzzer beater or anything when they went out... There were just very good most of the year.

You always said that you'd stop obsessing on the board about Kennedy when he was gone. He's been gone 11 months and most of your posts still reference him.

The fact that anybody would "blame" the coach for a Sweet 16 run and a regular season conference title at Texas A&M is absurd.

Everybody associated with that team deserves credit for that season which was one of the top 2-3 seasons in school history.
bobinator
AG
Buzz could take us to the national title and there'd be at least one post saying we'd have been there a few times already if we wouldn't have hired Kennedy.
CapCityAg89
AG
bobinator said:

I actually also hate the phrase "in the system." Sounds like we're running some kind of complicated scheme that's hard to pick up.

But, I do think there are some things we'll see now that Buzz has had a year to actually see these guys on the court.

- The current players will know what to expect and can help bring the younger players along as opposed to it being new for everyone. Should help team chemistry especially early in the season.
- Buzz will have a much better idea going into the year how the pieces fit together.
- Eman will get better at shooting
- Aku will develop some basic low post moves.
For what it's worth, I think "in the system" refers mainly to your first bullet: I think it's mainly practice expectations, understanding of drills, understanding roles, leadership, etc. The coaches the first couple years spend a ton of time explaining what they expect. Then, as players spend additional time "in the system", the older guys don't need explanation at all and they start taking that duty over for the younger guys. Coaches can focus on coaching. I think Jimbo has talked about this too.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, and I agree that it's a real thing, I just wish there was a better phrase for it because it makes it sound like have to pass a calculus sequence or something before understanding our schemes.
fatdad84ag
AG
Hop said:

Aston04 said:

Quote:

You always said that you'd stop obsessing on the board about Kennedy when he was gone. He's been gone 11 months and most of your posts still reference him.

The fact that anybody would "blame" the coach for a Sweet 16 run and a regular season conference title at Texas A&M is absurd.

Everybody associated with that team deserves credit for that season which was one of the top 2-3 seasons in school history.
I bet that the North Carolina fans said the same thing 2 years later. That A&M team was good but not great, but we should have been more competitive. Instead they played an uninspired game. My son and I went to both first weekend tourneys in Oklahoma City and Charlotte and we still bring up some of those moments today.

We started going to home games (driving from Cypress) when he was in middle school and have missed very few games since he started A&M in 2011. Began buying season tickets in 2015 and have traveled to LSU, Arkansas and Kansas for road games as well as both tourneys. He even flew to Spokane last year for the Gonzaga game. Kennedy was not a great coach but he was no way near as bad as some of you make him out to be. I enjoy watching them today as much as I did the last 15 years as I did when I was a student from 80-83. The experience is totally up to you though. Frustrated? Sure. But it never took away from MY experiences.

wasntme
bobinator said:

I'd rather have Buzz than Bill O'Brien!
Pumpkinhead
AG
Thanks Hop.

If some Aggie hoops fans sincerely didn't enjoy that 2015-2016 season despite going 28-9, winning SEC conference title, winning several notable games include Texas and Zags in Bahamas, beating the crap out of a cocky Baylor team in Reed, game winning shot vs. Kentucky, beating LSU with Ben Simmons so bad in the SEC tournament that LSU literally quite wanting to play basketball that season and turned down an NIT invite, a very exciting & close SEC tournament final game vs. Kentucky, greatest comeback in NCAA basketball history to make Sweet Sixteen...

If some Aggie hoops fan despite all of the above...is now just sitting around thinking..."but it was a Kennedy team, and we didn't play well vs. Sooners in our last game"...I feel sorry for those folks. That was a really fun and good season!

Don't get me wrong...I would much rather have Buzz than Kennedy. And Kennedy needed to go. And as I said, I actually did not like the second Sweet Sixteen team... because of all the suspensions and how many knuckleheads that team seemed to have.

But 2015-2016...I loved Caruso, House, and Jones...Great players who played hard...and Kennedy with Keller, Stansbury, etc. did a good coaching job that year.
txag72
AG
This board was miserable thru all the wins. Game threads, posts, everything. Glad for the change, but yea, it was miserable.
Aston04
AG
Hop said:

Aston04 said:

Quote:

fair enough. Crap gets brought up and it gets rehashed. Bottom line I'm excited about having a great coach lead us again.. Sky is the limit..
Goat Man
AG
I agree the Kennedy bashers need to give it up. It is annoying at this point. I personally enjoyed the hell out of both sweet 16 runs and am also glad we have Buzz now.
Goat Man
AG
Aston04 said:

Hop said:

Aston04 said:

Quote:

fair enough. Crap gets brought up and it gets rehashed. Bottom line I'm excited about having a great coach lead us again.. Sky is the limit..
mazag08
AG
bobinator said:

We would have played phenomenal defense, and come up just short, yet felt really good about the future.

Wait..
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.