NIT bound

4,577 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Callate Donnie
Sananag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm almost rooting for this as a building tool. For recruiting and the extra games. I don't want to slide into the Big Boy tourney and be one and done.
_lefraud_
AG
Making the NIT this year would be a HUGE accomplishment.
Sananag
AggieCVQ
Agree. If so, this season is a huge success.
greg.w.h
AG
I'd rather slide into the Big Boy Tournament and win two...
TopoTacos
AG
Would LOVE to play in the NIT this season, we aren't going to make the dance barring a crazy run through the SEC conference tourney but playing some quality opponents in a postseason tourney is huge for our young guys and establishing what the programs expectation is
aggiejohn
AG
Gigemrunrs said:

I don't want to slide into the Big Boy tourney and be one and done.

Oh no. We're about to have that argument, aren't we?

It's a no brainer (for money and prestige) - you take the NCAA tournament bid if you're lucky enough to earn one, but we aren't getting that lucky this year...
Luke The Drifter
AG
We won't make the NIT. Too far down the RPI (or whatever metric they use) list. Remember, the NCAA now controls the NIT and they use the same criteria for selecting at-large teams as they do for the Big Dance. Shy of winning out, I don't see how we can get high enough up the ladder to be considered.

Now...don't misunderstand my intent. I think Buzz has the team in fantastic shape and we've won more than I expected this year. But we're just not going to get consideration for the post-season. Too many horrible losses early and no really good wins on the resume.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
aggiejohn
AG
You're probably right.
I hope we cast our lot with the CBI in that case...
Luke The Drifter
AG
Even after our win over UGA on Saturday, we're still only #170 in the KenPom ratings.

https://kenpom.com/

We're #132 in the Warren Nolan NET, but that's till way too low.

http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/net

And #168 in the RPI certainly won't get us there.

http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/rpi-live

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
old yeller
AG
Gigemrunrs said:

I'm almost rooting for this as a building tool. For recruiting and the extra games. I don't want to slide into the Big Boy tourney and be one and done.

Good lord! Not this again
Aston04
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

We won't make the NIT. Too far down the RPI (or whatever metric they use) list. Remember, the NCAA now controls the NIT and they use the same criteria for selecting at-large teams as they do for the Big Dance. Shy of winning out, I don't see how we can get high enough up the ladder to be considered.

Now...don't misunderstand my intent. I think Buzz has the team in fantastic shape and we've won more than I expected this year. But we're just not going to get consideration for the post-season. Too many horrible losses early and no really good wins on the resume.

no, if we win out, we won't be considered for the nit either.
PatAg
AG
Ive never seen it referred to as "big boy tournament" either
Luke The Drifter
AG
Aston04 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

no, if we win out, we won't be considered for the nit either.

Yes, you are correct. We do still control our own destiny to win the national championship.

Nice catch...

bobinator
AG
This isn't even a good troll attempt.
expresswrittenconsent
bobinator said:

This isn't even a good troll attempt.
oh yeah, well he also thinks yell leaders at games are dumb, so there.
halfastros81
AG
Ags are 12-12 and 6-6 in league play and likely will be the underdog in all but one remaining conference game. Doesn't exactly seem Likely Ags will see post season play of any kind in my estimation .
SilverTongueDevil
The schedule get significantly more difficult for the remainder of reg season conference play.

Barring a miracle we will not make the NIT. Finishing .500 would actually be surprising given what we have left.

But prior to conf play I never thought this team could win 6 SEC games. We are very fortunate to be in a bad conference this year.
Sananag
I think they've exceeded all of our expectations this season. That being said, any chance at the N.I.T. may give these guys some added motivation to win a few more this year.
EliteZags
AG
AggieDad74
If we are, indeed, fortunate enough to make the NIT this year, we'll likely be a low-ranked "road team," for some other team that falls out of the NCAA bracket, but had drawn more than decent crowds at home this season!

I can't even see us selling out at home for the Kentucky game!
zooguy96
Being the road team would be preferable. We play better on the road than at home.
GrayMatter
AG
SilverTongueDevil said:

We are very fortunate to be in a bad conference this year.
I disagree, the SEC/Big 12 challenge ended in a tie remember?

It has been a strange college basketball season and there aren't too many of the usual dominating teams like in years past. Don't let the little numbers by the teams name drive your thinking that the SEC isn't a competitive league. We are one of the largest conferences so when teams are compared using the RPI formula, we are only as strong as the weakest team which happens to be Vandy.

My point is that at best, this team is average when compared to the rest of the teams in the country. That's not necessarily a bad thing especially when you think of the fact that we don't really have any depth. Laying the ground work is the most important thing right now and the more games our freshman get under their belts, the better we will be in the future.
bobinator
AG
The conference is competitive because it sucks. Per KenPom we currently have five teams that are ranked 80+, and ONE in the top 30 (Kentucky is the highest at #30.) Last year we had three that were 80+ and six that were top 30.

Edit: I guess being #30 means you're in the top 30 since nobody is #0.
CDub06
AG
Making the NIT would be an accomplishment this season and provide some validation for the team. I'd be pleased with that. Where can I buy the t shirts?
Class of 65
AG
Shelby Metcalf was dead last in the SWC one year. He got in by winning the tournament but did lose the first round game. After that season I always knew the impossible can happen.
expresswrittenconsent
BAS65 said:

Shelby Metcalf was dead last in the SWC one year. He got in by winning the tournament but did lose the first round game. After that season I always knew the impossible can happen.

Close, but wrong.
Pumpkinhead
AG
The computers hate A&M so much - NET (#134), Kenpom (#170), etc., - that I wouldn't be that optimistic about A&M getting selected for the NIT even if they pulled off a near miracle and went 3-3 these last 6 games to get to a 9-9 SEC record.
old yeller
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

BAS65 said:

Close, but wrong.
What was wrong? That we were the #8 seed out of 8 but didn't finish dead last in the regular season?
expresswrittenconsent
Yes. We were next to last (8th of 9) at 6-10. Rice was behind us at 2-14.
greg.w.h
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Yes. We were next to last (8th of 9) at 6-10. Rice was behind us at 2-14.
Rice wasn't in the tournament.
expresswrittenconsent
Glad you agree with me.
Callate Donnie
CDub06 said:

Making the NIT would be an accomplishment this season and provide some validation for the team. I'd be pleased with that. Where can I buy the t shirts?
You want to buy a t-shirt that says," Making the NIT would be an accomplishment this season and provide some validation for the team. I'd be pleased with that."?

I mean...I can make you one, but seems a little weird.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.