Can we stay out of the bottom 4?

6,999 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fatdad84ag
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://bball.notnothing.net/sec.php?sport=mbb

The only outcome I changed was beating Arkansas and it spit us out as the 11 seed, Ole Miss as the 10.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Need 2 more SEC wins out of these last 7 games to get to 7-11 to *probably* stay out of bottom four, unless both Ole Miss & Vols get to at least 8 (we win head-to-head vs. them). Best chances to get those 2 wins are Georgia tomorrow in Reed and the final game vs. Arkansas at Reed.

Ask again after Georgia tomorrow. If we lose to Georgia, I say No, we will finish in bottom four.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, gotta get Georgia tomorrow otherwise it gets tough.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I'm done predicting this team's record. Every time I think they are done... they win one I wasn't expecting. Then I decide they are getting pretty good, and they take it on the chin.

Don't get me wrong, they have exceeded expectations. They are working hard. The future under Buzz is bright. But based on results this far, I have no clue where they end up.
PJYoung
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Need 2 more SEC wins out of these last 7 games to get to 7-11 to *probably* stay out of bottom four, unless both Ole Miss get to at least 8 (we win head-to-head vs. them). Best chances to get those 2 wins are Georgia tomorrow in Reed and the final game vs. Arkansas at Reed.

Ask again after Georgia tomorrow. If we lose to Georgia, I say No, we will finish in bottom four.

So I dunno if you went to that website but we are predicted to beat Georgia on there (Sagarin) and lose to Arkansas.

I switched up the Arkansas loss to a win and Sagarin says we would still finish 11th.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Yeah, I saw that. We don't get to 7 wins, we are absolutely in bottom 4.

If we do get to 7 wins, I'd like our chances to stay out of bottom 4 but no guarantee.

Get to 8 wins, we'd definitely be out of bottom 4.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, if we only beat Georgia and Arkansas then we'll need Ole Miss to drop a game somewhere.

The good news for us is we'd win the tiebreaks with Tennessee or Ole Miss.
bobinator
AG
Been looking at this for a bit and basically if we beat Arkansas we would win any tiebreak scenario involving us, Ole Miss, Arkansas and/or Tennessee other than a straight head to head with Arkansas.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Quote:

Can we stay out of the bottom 4?

Better question:

Will we set a new NCAA season record for the most missed shots at TWO FEET or less???

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
Method Man
Not a better question
Pumpkinhead
AG
I have it in my head that avoiding finishing in the bottom-4 is important because the bottom 4 are excluded from the Big 12/SEC challenge in succeeding years. Is that true?
bobinator
AG
No, we were in the bottom four last year
BeeringAintEasy
AG
Our schedule down the stretch is pretty brutal. Need to win one of the next two vs Alabama and Mississippi State.
zooguy96
We should be able to win one of Alabama or State and Arky at home. Arky hasn't played well lately.
txag72
AG
I posted this earlier:

"Hmmm, if we can become just a bit more consistent toward the "good Aggie team", we'll be favored against Georgia and Miss. St. at home. Win those and I'd almost guarantee one more road win (Bama/SC). Steal one with a big upset (Arkansas at home), and we're 9-9. That's the ultimate best, but it's not THAT far fetched."

Not predicting it, but we got the win against Georgia, took the loss at SC. We could get to 9-9 with a Win at home against Miss. St, Win at Bama, and Win at home against Arkansas. We never play 2 halves of good basketball per game, or even per 2 games sometimes, but if..............

Pumpkinhead
AG
Right before conference play began, I predicted 6-12. The win vs. Oregon State was enough to convince me this team wasn't near as bad as the 'Worst Team Since Melvin' stink it had all over it on the flight home from that Orlando tournament.

Then after that win @ Tennessee, which really surprised me, I nudged it up to 7-11 guess.

I am still sticking with 7-11. Next 5 games are pretty brutal, the 'money ball' chance to get that 7th win does seem to be the last game in Reed vs a sinking Hogs team.

Now If they pull off another win starting with any of the next 5 before getting to Arky, then I will immediately jump on the 8-10 Bandwagon.
rwtxag83
AG
9-9 with Ws over Bama, MSU, and Arky.

Tighten it up Aggies and play it the way Buzz says and we can do it!
Greater love hath no man than this....
gig them
AG
I hate playing in the Wednesday night clown show that kicks off the SEC Tournament. Avoiding it has been my season-long goal from day one.

If we avoid the bottom four, I would consider it a significant accomplishment and one of the best coaching jobs in the SEC.
SECTAMU#1
Vanderbilt is currently 1-11 in conference and Georgia is 2-10, so my guess is those two will remain at he bottom.
Ole Miss, Missouri and Arkansas are all 4-8 in conference and are our main competition for the other bottom four spots.

Our schedule is tough down the stretch, but I like our chances to not be in the bottom four.
CapCityAg89
AG
BTW, with the Georgia win, all we need to do is beat Arkansas at home to end the year (all other predictions being the same) and we avoid the bottom 5. Arkie without Joe is eminently beatable at home.
CapCityAg89
AG
And when I go through and make actual picks (mine) for those games, I get a 9 seed (Arkie is the win I predict) ...

1. Auburn (14 - 4) Defeated S Carolina and Kentucky based on round-robin record (2-1).
2. S Carolina (14 - 4) Defeated Kentucky and lost to Auburn based on round-robin record (1-1).
3. Kentucky (14 - 4) Lost to Auburn and S Carolina based on round-robin record (1-2).
4. Florida (13 - 5) Defeated LSU based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Auburn] (1-0).
5. LSU (13 - 5) Lost to Florida based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Auburn] (0-1).
6. Miss St (11 - 7)
7. Alabama (9 - 9)
8. Ole Miss (8 - 10)
9. Texas A&M (7 - 11) Defeated Tennessee based on head-to-head record (1-0).
10. Tennessee (7 - 11) Lost to Texas A&M based on head-to-head record (0-1).
11. Arkansas (6 - 12)
12. Missouri (5 - 13)
13. Georgia (4 - 14)
14. Vandy (1 - 17)

Based on this, I'd think the SEC sends 6 (barring a weird SECT) to the NCAAT.
halfastros81
AG
9-9 in conference play would be an absolute coup. Don't see it happening but ya never know .
Pumpkinhead
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

BTW, with the Georgia win, all we need to do is beat Arkansas at home to end the year (all other predictions being the same) and we avoid the bottom 5. Arkie without Joe is eminently beatable at home.
Apparently Joe is back practicing for Arkansas and they are optimistic will return before end of the season. Looks like decent chance Arkansas will have Joe when they come to Reed.
CapCityAg89
AG
Of course. Man. I hate our luck. Good for the kid I guess.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hell, can we stay out of the bottom 8?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Worse case 7-11 now with 5 games left to get at least a win #8!

And we just dealt a really bad blow to the slim NCAA bubble chance that Bama had.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

And we just dealt a really bad blow to the slim NCAA bubble chance that Bama had.

Our postseason will be a month of trying to make other teams' postseason positioning worse
Pumpkinhead
AG
We can now not worry about finishing in the bottom 4. SEC Win #8 today guaranteed a day off first day of SEC tournament, regardless of what happens these last 4 games.

The SEC tournament seed predictor says if we lose out and the favorites win all other games, we'll actually be the 8th seed in the SEC tournament, playing 9th seed Bama.
Adam87inSA
AG
Meaning going 1-3, finishing w a win over Arky in Reed?
Pumpkinhead
AG
If we go 0-4 and all the other games go to the favorite, we will be #8th seed.

If hypothetically we were to go 1-3 beating Arkansas in Reed, all other favorites winning, we'd actually jump to the #7th seed per that SEC tournament predictor playing #10 Mizzou team, and then if we won that, playing LSU.

I'd love that latter scenario, playing Mizzou on Thursday with a chance to play LSU on Friday. Let's hope the Ags can get to at least a 9-9 SEC record to put a 7th seed spot into play.

The crappy thing about #8/9 seed spot of course, is even if you win that game, then you immediately are going to run into #1 seed Kentucky on Friday. So be nice if we could scratch and claw to the #7th spot or better.
Seven Costanza
AG
Time to change the thread title to "Can they keep us out of the Top 4?"
PJYoung
Pumpkinhead
AG
Using the projection tool thing or in the OP of this thread, with the win @Auburn tonight it looks like we have locked up no worse than the 8 seed in the SEC tournament, even if lose to Arky.

Beat Arky to finish 10-8, then we'd get the 7-seed and actually have to play Arky again in the first game, who would be the 10-seed.
dcaggie04
AG
There is a situation where we could be the 6 seed.
fatdad84ag
AG
dcaggie04 said:

There is a situation where we could be the 6 seed.
Win and pull for Ole Miss to knock off State!!! Long shot but so is what we've already pulled off this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.