Savion Flagg

5,445 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JRB78
bcsag75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know Savion was not having a good game, but why was he benched the 2nd half?
Method Man
Maybe he wasn't giving full effort? I mean even though he sometimes looks like he isn't we've been assured that Buzz wouldn't play him if he wasn't. Well he didn't today so using my insane logic...poor effort.
Isaih Smollett
Whether he was trying or not, Flagg was ineffective. Got his shot blocked 4 times in the first half.
LawHall88
AG
Buzz didn't single anyone out, but he was somewhat critical of the team's effort:

bballcoach
You don't have to score to put a finger print on the game check the stats sometimes you have to let a dog off his chain
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

Maybe he wasn't giving full effort? I mean even though he sometimes looks like he isn't we've been assured that Buzz wouldn't play him if he wasn't. Well he didn't today so using my insane logic...poor effort.
Yes, if Buzz benched him THEN I'll believe he gave poor effort. So, logical assumption, poor effort today.
speedy
AG
Why is Flagg doing so poorly this year? We sure can use the play he showed last year. Don't understand.
bballcoach
Any educated Basketball mind can see that his stats equated to @ least 24 points. If we made half of the assist that he develops he would easily be in the top 15 in assist. So he has to find his way in this system. Last year he sit mid range floaters etc. in this new system it's either a spot up 3 or drive to a clogged up lane (2) defenders on Nebo and his man.He has to figure it out & we should do what it takes to put ALL the players we have Successful
johnnyblaze36
AG
bballcoach said:

Any educated Basketball mind can see that his stats equated to @ least 24 points. If we made half of the assist that he develops he would easily be in the top 15 in assist. So he has to find his way in this system. Last year he sit mid range floaters etc. in this new system it's either a spot up 3 or drive to a clogged up lane (2) defenders on Nebo and his man.He has to figure it out & we should do what it takes to put ALL the players we have Successful
What? 2 points plus 5 assists = 12 points. He shot 1/6 from the field and had two turnovers (I'm not sure if those led to Ok St points but if so you can subtract additional points from that bizarre 24 number).

And top 15 in assists in what? Conference or the nation?? This is insane talk.

Shouldn't a good/decent/great player be able to hit a spot up 3? He attempted zero today.

Also, a guy of his size should be able to draw fouls in a clogged lane. Not drive to the basket and have a good look at a contested layup and then decide to kick it out to the corner while in the paint.

He's basically DJ Hogg all over again but without the occasional streaky touch from way downtown.

Houstonag
AG
He does always show up.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Deserved the benching. Many defenders of his on here, but Flagg has been the anti-dog this year in regards to aggression and basketball smarts. Don't look at the stat sheets, watch the games. So much of it is between the ears, but his ball on the floor skills and quick decision making have been horrendous.
Southlake
Went to the game; Flagg looked slow.
Aston04
AG
speedy said:

Why is Flagg doing so poorly this year? We sure can use the play he showed last year. Don't understand.
My guess as an outsider- he prefers BK's approach to coaching. A shame because he needs to get pushed if he wants to make big bucks playing basketball.

Still hoping it works out in the end.
Adam87inSA
AG
If Savion Flagg is going to make money as a professional basketball player in any league (in Europe, the NBA, or anywhere), he has to show adaptability and effort and leadership in multiple environments.

In his basketball career (if he's going to have one two years from now), he will have to adapt and give his utmost to thrive and win under different coaches w different systems.

If he is a BK-or-nothing guy, it does not bode well for his basketball future.

In my opinion, Buzz benched him for most of the second half not just for his lack of fight today. In my opinion Buzz has played him in other games w similar performances hoping that he'd play his way out of it, and he's reached his limit. Buzz is trying the help Flagg the best he knows how. And best way to send that message was to keep him benched today.
Sananag
Chit chowing. Scared and uninspiring play by him and Nebo.
wacarnolds
AG
bballcoach said:

Any educated Basketball mind can see that his stats equated to @ least 24 points. If we made half of the assist that he develops he would easily be in the top 15 in assist. So he has to find his way in this system.

You don't have to do this. It's ok to admit he's struggling right now during this transition period for the program. Other guys have gone through the same thing, heck Wendell is going through something even worse right now.

But he has the skills to come out the other end of this better, and everyone here would love to see him break out.
PatAg
AG
Most of this forum just has completely unrealistic expectations from the team this year. Gonna drive yourself crazy, and say some pretty rude things in the process.
Method Man
Gigemrunrs said:

Chit chowing. Scared and uninspiring play by him and Nebo.

Nebo is our MVP
Method Man
PatAg said:

Most of this forum just has completely unrealistic expectations from the team this year. Gonna drive yourself crazy, and say some pretty rude things in the process.

Pat. I'm usually with you but I don't think expecting more from Flagg is at all unrealistic.
wacarnolds
AG
PatAg said:

whatever one's expectations, Buzz and his team has underperformed. Agree there are way too many people popping off, but the "unrealistic expectations" thing doesn't make sense.

We're playing like one of the worst teams in the nation and I don't think anyone on the team would say that's ok so I don't get why fans can't be upset.
Method Man
Our two best returning players from last season are a no show for the most part. It's very odd.
wacarnolds
AG
Method Man said:

Our two best returning players from last season are a no show for the most part. It's very odd.

And our starting PG had to leave the program. Plenty of blame to go around when that many things are going wrong.
Wicked Good Ag
Five of our top six scorers in terms of points per game were returning with 55+ points per game returning to the court.
Flagg at 13.9
Mitchell at 13
TJ Starks at 12.3
Chandler at 8.3
Nebo at 8.1

Thus far

Flagg 10.7
Mitchell. 7.2
Starks......
Chandler 7.1
Nebo. 12.5

Heck straight up replace Gordon and Starks

Gordon 8.1

That is 10 less points on average from returners who should have made a huge difference on the offensive side of the ball. Only Nebo is out performing last season from a point production standpoint

Hop
Staff
AG
Aston04 said:

speedy said:

My guess as an outsider- he prefers BK's approach to coaching. A shame because he needs to get pushed if he wants to make big bucks playing basketball.

I think you are off the mark here. He is being asked to play the high post with his back to the basket. He used to play facing the basket playing more on the perimeter. He's being asked to o something different and he doesn't look comfortable yet. That's why he looks a step slow. He's thinking too much.
JRB78
AG
Aston04 said:

speedy said:

I guess this is almost always true, but Buzz seems like a coach that needs his own recruits before he can win. Right now, I am not convinced he has players that are willing to work as hard as he is to get better.
Proposition Joe
He's been thinking too much since November. It's about to be February.

If Buzz made a decision to take our best player and have him shift roles and the result is him essentially being neutered offensively then maybe Buzz didn't make the right decision.

Everything about the way the team has been coached this year screams "square peg in round hole". I have no doubt Buzz will do well once he gets "his guys" to start playing "his system", but sometimes I wish he'd work more with what he's got.
EXCELL
Horrible court presence.
LOTS of really bad decision making.

Physical talent with minimal mental involvement.
Double Diamond
I think it's fair to say Buzz hasn't done well with what he has. But I am fine playing the long game as long as zone defense becomes an option not the main option.
MMantle
AG
Maybe he shouldn't be playing the high post, round peg in square hole?

Sad to see what he is now, compared to his last few SEC games last year.

RR

Method Man
Has he been doing that well facing the basket? He gets blocked a lot.
TyperWoods
looks very uncomfortable and unsure of what to do.
mazag08
AG
I don't think it's square peg in round hole. You can be playing a different role, even one you don't like, and at least hustle. Flagg rarely runs the court. Always jogging. Doesn't move at all without the ball. Can't even really dribble without turning it over.

It's 100% mental. Dude needs to start going all out on every play. If you make a mistake, you learn from it. But he's playing like he's scared to take a risk, and in effect, neutering himself.
bobinator
AG
I've been on this 'thinking too much' thing all year also, but he should be past that by now. We're not asking him to analyze the global economy, he just needs to make a quick read and either attack or move the ball. Instead it gets stuck in his hands far too often.

It might be a square peg in a round hole, but for his own sake he needs to become round peg. He's not a good enough ballhandler or shooter to just float on the perimeter at this or the next level.
Sananag
I love Nebo. Have been talking him up all season, but him and not him alone looked bad Saturday.
Houstonag
AG
Our players need to show up and play hard. Move the ball with passes and stop dribbling into a trap like high school players. In our last game we moved the ball poorly, had too many dumb turnovers, etc. These are problems belonging to the players. They simply need to think and execute what the coach has instructed. We seemed stuck on offense.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.