Saturday's mens BB game... We need Butts/seats filled & in the stands! Post tix here!

5,185 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Maroon Dawn
robprall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You don't have to give the tix up for free.... yet there were an incredible amount of empty seats tonight!

A Great Aggie gave me seats tonight for free! I posted some cool videos on Twitter and linked here!

I'm all about that! Yet..............

Way toooooo many tickets were wasted! Give them away or post them for a small price before not using them. Heck....... donate them!!

Buzz has this team working! Let's show them some support!

Obviously use the tickets forum yet I'm not seeing the 500+ Unused tickets posted.
Rob 93
Broncos
First game this season, huh?
Adam87inSA
AG
Saturday is Military Appreciation game. If you're a vet, I believe you can contact ticket office to get FREE ticket
mikesyracuse1
There were around 1000, mostly season tickets available on stubhub 15 minutes before tip-off.

Mikesyracuse1
FTAG 2000
AG
The AD needs to get off its tails too and do some marketing on campus to the students.

A sandwich board in front of the MSC and Rec Center and a tweet or two this week by Aggie Athletics ain't going to cut it.

greg.w.h
AG
It is a marketing problem. Not that they don't and not that they aren't using the minor league playbook for getting fans to the venue, and not that they aren't emphasizing how current students can engage. But it might need a new look. I think as Buzz provides the leadership and the...Buzz...it will turn. But right now word of mouth is the best way for us to help. And asking us to do something about it might be what is sometimes called a "non-starter" if it's about directly changing things.

I can't make games right now. I watch as many as I can. That might change some day, but me buying a ticket means squat.

My freshman year was one of the most exciting runs in Aggie Basketball history. We current students turned out decently well and the senior bleachers were always pretty packed in Jolly Rolly. So pushing on a string by itself won't change much. The Dark Ages of Aggie Basketball are an indication of why.

And in all honesty: I didn't attend basketball in Iowa where it was pretty good and rather much across the creek with snow on the ground and nothing better to do...
Tobias Funke
AG
i hope the Rowdies are doing classroom chalkboard campaigns for these games. Pretty simple concept, but probably one of the best ways to remind students about the games!
Method Man
Butts need filling? This is a family website.
Maroon Dawn
AG
The truth is the students have most likely written off this season.

Victories over nobodies like Ole Miss while losing to rivals like Arky and LSU won't entice anyone to give this team another chance after the disastrous OOC schedule
deh40
AG
robprall said:

You don't have to give the tix up for free.... yet there were an incredible amount of empty seats tonight!

A Great Aggie gave me seats tonight for free! I posted some cool videos on Twitter and linked here!

I'm all about that! Yet..............

Way toooooo many tickets were wasted! Give them away or post them for a small price before not using them. Heck....... donate them!!

Buzz has this team working! Let's show them some support!

Obviously use the tickets forum yet I'm not seeing the 500+ Unused tickets posted.
Free tickets posted on Texags can't even be given away.
BQ_90
AG
AG 2000' said:

The AD needs to get off its tails too and do some marketing on campus to the students.

A sandwich board in front of the MSC and Rec Center and a tweet or two this week by Aggie Athletics ain't going to cut it.

Like what? AD can't make students attend
jja79
AG
Very true but the AD does a very poor job promoting anything but football.
FTAG 2000
AG
BQ_90 said:

AG 2000' said:

Well, TV, radio, and streaming ads for starters. They do it for football despite everyone in the state of Texas who cares about the Ags knowing when every home game is months before the season starts.

Howabout overhauling their stupid 'beer' nights schedule to just be every game?

Come up with some fun promotions and giveaways focused on the student body.

I'm sure there's other ideas, but actually making some sort of an attempt would be above and beyond the campus sandwich board nonsense that has been the AD marketing strategy for basketball the last twenty years.

greg.w.h
AG
AG 2000' said:

BQ_90 said:

AG 2000' said:

Well, TV, radio, and streaming ads for starters. They do it for football despite everyone in the state of Texas who cares about the Ags knowing when every home game is months before the season starts.

I'm sure there's other ideas, but actually making some sort of an attempt would be above and beyond the campus sandwich board nonsense that has been the AD marketing strategy for basketball the last twenty years.

I agree it is a marketing problem.
cs69ag
AG
whatever marketing is done is usually too little and way too late
Anonymous Source
S
AG 2000' said:

BQ_90 said:

AG 2000' said:

There are no TV, radio or streaming ads for football games. Plus, you assume that students watch commercial TV and listen to commercial radio?

The beer issue is part of a slow rollout. They'll introduce it gradually at first...which is where it is now. Not that it matters, because students either can't drink or won't pay $7-$8 a beer that they'll be charging.

At the moment, a student gets to attempt a half court shot for $1,000, and last year there were numerous ring scholarships given away. Plus the crawl for cash contest involves students 9 times out of 10. In fact, most of the contests feature or are geared toward students.

At some point, you have to take it upon yourself to get there. If you're a college basketball fan, certainly you know it's college basketball season. You should be relatively certain that Texas A&M has a team. If you're that interested, check out 12thman.com
Gig 'Em
djktamu
AG
I went to basketball games because I liked basketball. Do students just not like basketball? Roughly half full for the first two home SEC games. Shouldn't have to market anything, as the team is playing much better, and they are competitive. Is the atmosphere at Reed that bad? Sad commentary on the sport in College Station.
Wicked Good Ag
We had a lot of fans for Gonzaga. So people know it is college basketball season and we're willing to come because either
They wanted to see a top team play that we don't usually have sans Kentucky at Reed
They were curious if we could upset a top team and decided if they were going to come watch us what better of a game. We looked BAD against Gonzaga and this no interest from the casual fan.
Students will show up when the product on the floor matches their curiousness.
greg.w.h
AG
Anonymous Source said:

AG 2000' said:

BQ_90 said:

AG 2000' said:

There are no TV, radio or streaming ads for football games. Plus, you assume that students watch commercial TV and listen to commercial radio?

The beer issue is part of a slow rollout. They'll introduce it gradually at first...which is where it is now. Not that it matters, because students either can't drink or won't pay $7-$8 a beer that they'll be charging.

At the moment, a student gets to attempt a half court shot for $1,000, and last year there were numerous ring scholarships given away. Plus the crawl for cash contest involves students 9 times out of 10. In fact, most of the contests feature or are geared toward students.

At some point, you have to take it upon yourself to get there. If you're a college basketball fan, certainly you know it's college basketball season. You should be relatively certain that Texas A&M has a team. If you're that interested, check out 12thman.com
I think the issue is broader than gimmicks. Not saying I have the answer, but the purpose of marketing is to create demand. It's not working.
JJxvi
AG
The building is marketed to get the max possible donation money for season seats from alums in Houston and Dallas that will never and could never actually use every ticket in a season's worth of games. The remainder of the building is priced to squeeze the rest of the juice out of any high demand matchups.

High attendance NCAA basketball programs that aren't big powerhouses generally are marketed to and the seats filled by local resident older fans and families, more like a professional/minor league model.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Lower level seats are $6-10 each on stubhub.
aggiedad55
AG
Will be there + one
greg.w.h
AG
JJxvi said:

The building is marketed to get the max possible donation money for season seats from alums in Houston and Dallas that will never and could never actually use every ticket in a season's worth of games. The remainder of the building is priced to squeeze the rest of the juice out of any high demand matchups.

High attendance NCAA basketball programs that aren't big powerhouses generally are marketed to and the seats filled by local resident older fans and families, more like a professional/minor league model.
I would add the All-sports pass-style handling is a license to hunt for any student that has one. Only when seats are scarce can they not enter Reed for a minor additional lump-sum charge over the deeply discounted football tickets that are essentially a come on to join the former students after graduating where the seats get sat on.

With that said: minor league teams can turn out a lot of fans and have plans to up per seat intake both at the team level and the facility. The owners of tye teams in MiLB share control of the branding with the league and focus on the stadium being a destination itself with or without a team-branded event. Reed is managed similarly.

I certainly agree there is realism as to what can be accomplished that both should be acknowledged while working to maximize attendance. If we could only make it snow more in BCS during the basketball season...
Hop
Staff
AG
They need to offer free parking to students. I'm not sure how you execute that, but there is more to cost than just the ticket.

I do think they need to promote through the dorms and fraternities/sororities. Make it a contest. The dorm with the highest attendance rate at basketball games gets first pull for the next football season....stuff like that. Basically, connect football perks with attending basketball games.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I think you can use a student parking tag to park at Reed for the games. Or at least that's how I remember it used to work. At night time maybe anyone with a tag can park in reed anyways.
Gap
AG
Hop said:

They need to offer free parking to students. I'm not sure how you execute that, but there is more to cost than just the ticket.
Students can park for free with their A&M parking pass in Lot 97 right across John Kimbrough Blvd. That lot is a pay lot for the games for you and I but students park for free. The attendant just waives you through.
BaytownAg13
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

I think you can use a student parking tag to park at Reed for the games. Or at least that's how I remember it used to work. At night time maybe anyone with a tag can park in reed anyways.

This is true. You can park for free with any parking tag.
rlb28
AG
what's strange to me is that if you go play pickup ball on campus you can't get a court. Basketball intramurals is overloaded with teams. Why aren't all those guys and girls at Reed?
Grapist
AG
Idea:

The sorority and fraternity with the top attendance for MBB gets a big ol donation to their charity event for the spring. $10,000 or so. In the athletics/marketing budget, that's not much, and it'll go to a good cause along with creating a competition. Competitions are what get people invested in things
Aggie09Derek
AG
Do the same thing with FLO's and Dorms.

Reed packed in no time.
aggietony2010
AG
Grapist said:

Idea:

The sorority and fraternity with the top attendance for MBB gets a big ol donation to their charity event for the spring. $10,000 or so. In the athletics/marketing budget, that's not much, and it'll go to a good cause along with creating a competition. Competitions are what get people invested in things

This is a good idea. But it needs a second prong of some sort. Frat/Sorority/FLO nights at games always have great attendance until about halftime.

Get them to show up, and then find some ways to make it less like a pale imitation of a football game.
TXAggie2011
AG
They need to pull up some busses in front of the dorms and big apartments, start honking the horn, and hold out a tray of honey butter chicken biscuits.

The students will come out like moths to a light bulb.
GrayMatter
AG
rlb28 said:

what's strange to me is that if you go play pickup ball on campus you can't get a court. Basketball intramurals is overloaded with teams. Why aren't all those guys and girls at Reed?
Gee I don't know why they don't allow intramural 3 point finals to be played during halftime anymore.

Maybe if you're on an Basketball Intramural team, you get discounted tickets?
aggietony2010
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

They need to pull up some busses in front of the dorms and big apartments, start honking the horn, and hold out a tray of honey butter chicken biscuits.

The students will come out like moths to a light bulb.

Something like this would be a great idea. Skin a couple busses (eventually). Have them just running a constant loop between the Northside dorms, Southside, park west, etc. For a few hours before the game. Have a pile of pizzas and sodas on the bus. Bus drops off at a student tailgate of sorts.(see what GCU does).

If you want these students to be those basketball season ticket holders living in Houston/Dallas, they need to have some sort of positive memory of Aggie basketball.
Legal Custodian
AG
Hop said:

I do think they need to promote through the dorms and fraternities/sororities. Make it a contest. The dorm with the highest attendance rate at basketball games gets first pull for the next football season....stuff like that. Basically, connect football perks with attending basketball games.
I'm of the belief, and I've thought this even when we were selling out, that we shouldn't be charging for parking at all. Even for Baseball or other sporting events outside of football. It's such a big deterrent to coming to games for students and the public alike, like you said.

I'm curious what Transportation Services (TS) brings in for parking on game days. They already nickel & dime everywhere else, I would hope the 12th Man Foundation could get those numbers and pay off TS on an average per game basis to help with some of this depending on the amount. I can't think it's more than $10,000 a year which would be a drop in the bucket and it would pay for itself hopefully in ticket sales or more butts in seats.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.