I feel our Mojo Rising

5,303 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by greg.w.h
DukeMu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vanderbilt this weekend is very winnable on the road. LSU and South Carolina at home are games we can win as well.

Buzz' halftime adjustments and antics around the bench had our team

1. Aggressive

but

2. Loose

Buzz tore this team down OOC, then began to rebuild them from scratch. We will can't shoot straight from the field, but are starting to hit from the FT line, exerting a lot of ball pressure. starting to pass better and set picks. Nebo is absolutely BEASTING and Gordon is healthy and adjusting to his role and burden as PG.

The team is excited and believes now it can be competitive and win every game.

I feel our mojo rising.

greg.w.h
AG
DukeMu said:

Vanderbilt this weekend is very winnable on the road. LSU and South Carolina at home are games we can win as well.

1. Aggressive

but

2. Loose

Buzz tore this team down OOC, then began to rebuild them from scratch. We will can't shoot straight from the field, but are starting to hit from the FT line, exerting a lot of ball pressure. starting to pass better and set picks. Nebo is absolutely BEASTING and Gordon is healthy and adjusting to his role and burden as PG.

I feel our mojo rising.

I thought about this in a fit of bliss this morning after watching the second half this morning on dvr. I feel making the NCAAs would require more than just nine conference wins since that leaves us at 15 overall. So I'm very much not expecting us to make the big dance. But Buzz himself is quite a show and I love the BuzzCam in the middle of the half...

I'll also note that the defensive adjustments and enthusiasm took Ole Miss out of the comfort zone on offense and our offensive rallies and FTs took advantage of their slower scoring in a big way.
TopoTacos
AG
greg.w.h said:

DukeMu said:

1. Aggressive

but

2. Loose

I feel our mojo rising.

I thought about this in a fit of bliss this morning after watching the second half this morning on dvr. I feel making the NCAAs would require more than just nine conference wins since that leaves us at 15 overall. So I'm very much not expecting us to make the big dance. But Buzz himself is quite a show and I love the BuzzCam in the middle of the half...

I'll also note that the defensive adjustments and b enthusiasm took Ole Miss out of the comfort zone on offense and our offensive rallies and FTs took advantage of their slower scoring in a big way.

NCAAs are out unless we win the conference tourney... losing to Fairfield will do that. But if we keep up our defensive intensity like this we have an outside shot at the NIT, which would be huge for this program
Know Your Enemy
AG
e.busche said:

greg.w.h said:

DukeMu said:

1. Aggressive

but

2. Loose

I feel our mojo rising.

I'll also note that the defensive adjustments and b enthusiasm took Ole Miss out of the comfort zone on offense and our offensive rallies and FTs took advantage of their slower scoring in a big way.

NCAAs are out unless we win the conference tourney... losing to Fairfield will do that. But if we keep up our defensive intensity like this we have an outside shot at the NIT, which would be huge for this program
This is 100% false. I don't expect this to happen but if we go 17-1 in the SEC we will be in the tournament even losing the first game of the SEC tournament. Hell, depending on who the wins are 12-6 may get us in.
Hop
Staff
AG
The biggest difference between November/early December to now is that Buzz "fixed" the mental issues Mitchell developed early in the year. We MUST have Mitchell's scoring ability and free throw shooting in the game. He's also proving to be a very good rebounder on an undersized team.
Callate Donnie
Just win, baby.
DukeMu
Hop said:

The biggest difference between November/early December to now is that Buzz "fixed" the mental issues Mitchell developed early in the year. We MUST have Mitchell's scoring ability and free throw shooting in the game. He's also proving to be a very good rebounder on an undersized team.

If you mean that Mitchell's usage on shots taken is too high, then agreed. Nebo, Gordon, and Flagg are the best players on the team, and they are who get you #wins. They also have the highest effective FG%.

Mitchell takes hurried shots. He doesn't set his feet correctly on the J. He has great pick-up game ability from JC...but I would have him setting ball screens, defense, rebounding as you mentioned, getting steals and starting the semi-break, and accepting a glue guy role.
mcag83
AG
Mister Mojo rising....
Like anyone can even know that.
Proposition Joe
Happy about the win, but beating a mediocre Ole Miss team at home doesn't change the season prognostication much.

This was one of the wins we were likely to get.

Mikeyshooter
AG
Hop said:

You could include Savion as well.
Houstonag
AG
Williams is a good coach. Some "coaches" are not very good at coaching. Williams is good. The ability to make adjustments at half time with a new group and not very good shooters I give him an A. The defense was great. I have been waiting for a good coach since Billy left.
Method Man
mcag83 said:

Mister Mojo rising....

MR MOJO RISIN!
Tavares19
AG
DukeMu said:

Hop said:

If you mean that Mitchell's usage on shots taken is too high, then agreed. Nebo, Gordon, and Flagg are the best players on the team, and they are who get you #wins. They also have the highest effective FG%.

Mitchell takes hurried shots. He doesn't set his feet correctly on the J. He has great pick-up game ability from JC...but I would have him setting ball screens, defense, rebounding as you mentioned, getting steals and starting the semi-break, and accepting a glue guy role.

Mitchell is WAY better than Gordon at this point in his career as an offensive player, and it isn't close. I don't mind Mitchell taking tough shots because he is the only guard we have that has proven in the past that he can get hot and go on scoring streaks shooting the ball
gig them
AG
Tavares19 said:

DukeMu said:

Hop said:

Mitchell is WAY better than Gordon at this point in his career as an offensive player, and it isn't close. I don't mind Mitchell taking tough shots because he is the only guard we have that has proven in the past that he can get hot and go on scoring streaks shooting the ball

Honestly, I'm still pumped when an offensive possession ends with a field goal attempt instead of a turnover. The rest (who shot it? did it go in?) is just semantics.
wacarnolds
AG
Tavares19 said:

Mitchell is WAY better than Gordon at this point in his career as an offensive player, and it isn't close.

Through the first 2 months of the season, they are basically the exact same players

Per 40 minutes
Mitchell: 12 ppg on 34% eFG/23% usage, 5 reb, 3 asst, 2 to
Gordon: 11 ppg on 38% eFG/23% usage, 4 reb, 3 asst, 3 to

Mitchell is a 5th year senior, Gordon is a true freshman. Maybe Mitchell rebounds to put up better numbers in the 2nd part of the season, maybe the game slows down for Gordon and his play looks a lot better in conference. I don't think right now you can make the argument Mitchell is the clearly superior player, on either end of the court.
Tavares19
AG
wacarnolds said:

Tavares19 said:

Mitchell is WAY better than Gordon at this point in his career as an offensive player, and it isn't close.

Through the first 2 months of the season, they are basically the exact same players

Per 40 minutes

Mitchell is a 5th year senior, Gordon is a true freshman. Maybe Mitchell rebounds to put up better numbers in the 2nd part of the season, maybe the game slows down for Gordon and his play looks a lot better in conference. I don't think right now you can make the argument Mitchell is the clearly superior player, on either end of the court.
Mitchell obviously wasn't himself the first 10 games. I personally think he was hurt. He was wearing a calf sleeve for a good while and hasn't worn it since Arky game, which was the exact game where he started looking like his old self. I'm basing this off his production from last year and what I've seen from him in the past
Maroon Dawn
AG
We beat a bad Ole Miss team and the maroon kool aid starts flowing

DukeMu
wacarnolds said:

Tavares19 said:

Per 40 minutes

Exactly...and Gordon is improving every game.
wacarnolds
AG
Tavares19 said:

wacarnolds said:

Tavares19 said:

Per 40 minutes

Mitchell obviously wasn't himself the first 10 games. I personally think he was hurt. He was wearing a calf sleeve for a good while and hasn't worn it since Arky game, which was the exact game where he started looking like his old self. I'm basing this off his production from last year and what I've seen from him in the past

One guy was hurt, but you personally think the other guy was hurt and that's why their numbers are similar
Tavares19
AG
wacarnolds said:

Tavares19 said:

wacarnolds said:

Tavares19 said:

Per 40 minutes

One guy was hurt, but you personally think the other guy was hurt and that's why their numbers are similar
I've followed Mitchell for a long time. I played against him in high school and have followed his career since. I know for a fact that he wasn't himself. I'd watch him and he just didn't look comfortable out there, even moving around in warmups. Gordon also being hurt has nothing to do with this. Mitchell nearly single handily kept us in some conference games last year with his scoring and I think he's getting back to that level recently
txag72
AG
Quote:

Maroon Dawn
9:04p

AG

Why do you post? There is absolutely nothing to be negative about a win this year. Or any year for that matter.
zooguy96
Yeah, we played better against a team we weren't favored against. Some people will always have something to complain about.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Before the Oregon State game, we were playing like literally one of the worst teams in college basketball and the worst A&M team since Melvin's last team 15 years ago. We were even losing to an awful team like Fairfield which was inexcusable.

Now, the last 4 games...3 wins and good effort in a loss vs a good Arkansas team on the road...we have at least made the jump to looking like a competitive team that, while horrid on offense actually has a guy in Nebo playing at a first-team All-Conference level to anchor around and our defensive ranking on Kenpom is now hovering around Top-50 which is solid.

This team has become much more enjoyable to follow the past few weeks than watching that bunch who went to Orlando. Still Not a good enough team to make post-season, but at least there are now some positives to hang on to as a fan and give you more of a reason to think this team has a chance in many of its SEC games.
DukeMu
Maroon Dawn said:

The turnaround started at Arky or certainly Oregon State.
Broncos
Is there a correlation between Burger Mojo opening and us finding our mojo?
Canyon99
Maroon Dawn said:

This is where programs are built. It's not the start to a championship season this year and everyone is aware of that fact. I'm happy to see people enjoying this after November and December.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Calm down fellas

I'm not saying don't be happy

It was more meant in a "How I love this place and how one of the very few wins we were expected to get has us dreaming of the extremely improbable already" way
Pumpkinhead
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Calm down fellas

I'm not saying don't be happy

It was more meant in a "How I love this place and how one of the very few wins we were expected to get has us dreaming of the extremely improbable already" way
Exactly which poster on this thread posted something that seemed 'dreaming of the improbable' to you?

Maroon Dawn
AG
Check the predicted wins thread
DukeMu
wacarnolds said:

Tavares19 said:

wacarnolds said:

Tavares19 said:

Per 40 minutes

One guy is a Fish, asked to also play point...a lot more responsibility.

Mitchell's #s weren't that great last year.
txag72
AG
Quote:

What do you mean by "us"? I don't relate to anything you say.
billydean05
There was NCAA tourney and NIT tourney talk on this thread.
wacarnolds
AG
billydean05 said:

There was NCAA tourney and NIT tourney talk on this thread.
those words were typed in this thread
wacarnolds
AG
EVERYONE MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND USE ONLY APPROVED TERMS WHEN DISCUSSING THE TEAM!
Complete Idiot
wacarnolds said:

EVERYONE MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND USE ONLY APPROVED TERMS WHEN DISCUSSING THE TEAM!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.