Identity on offense?

1,683 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by deh40
aggiejohn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gonzaga is really good-I get that, but it seemed like we have no real identity on offense, no real game plan. Am I missing something here? (It certainly doesn't help that we shot very, very poorly).
Post removed:
by user
Know Your Enemy
AG
We need one.
bobinator
AG
Figuring out something even mildly effective over the next several weeks of non-con is going to be interesting to watch.

- Our first problem is we only have one ballhandler currently. Andre Gordon is the only guy who can put the ball on the floor and get anywhere. But he's not particularly good at scoring off the dribble even if he does beat his defender.

- Our second problem is we don't have any low post players who can create a shot. Nebo is a really good player, but he's a lob/put back guy. He's not going to beat anyone with post moves down low.

- Our third problem is we can't shoot. I was optimistic that we'd improve in this area, but we haven't so far. Some of this is because of the other two problems, we shoot a lot of contested threes. But any way you slice it, we only have one player shooting over 30% from outside.

Given all of that, it's pretty hard to envision any kind of effective half court offense. Our best bet is to probably not even try to play halfcourt basketball and try and get teams in an up and down game, but Gonzaga was way too good for that. If we'd have tried to press them all game they'd have beaten us by 100.
Uncle Jimbo
We're short, but luckily we're also terrible at ball-handling and outside shooting.

Gonna be a long year.
greg.w.h
AG
I look forward to watching what Buzz does with what he has. He took a tough job even with the two recent S16 runs. I hope the team he has will work with him to build a reactionary force that is good at adjustments. The effort on the zone when he put it in wasn't encouraging. But it's early.

One thing is certain: our team needs to make practice count.
mazag08
AG
greg.w.h said:

I look forward to watching what Buzz does with what he has. He took a tough job even with the two recent S16 runs. I hope the team he has will work with him to build a reactionary force that is good at adjustments. The effort on the zone when he put it in wasn't encouraging. But it's early.

I'd be ok if they just did dribble drills the whole time.
greg.w.h
AG
mazag08 said:

greg.w.h said:

I'd be ok if they just did dribble drills the whole time.
Heh. I wasn't excluding practicing fundamentals. I just don't see a team that practices hard or uses personal time to drill skills.
PatAg
AG
It was nice to see players moving around the court with a purpose for once. Not just pass the ball around the perimeter to other players not moving.
Double Diamond
Not one right now. But a team like Gonzaga is going to make it hard to run anything. And this team doesn't have the talent to just dribble to a win.
Double Diamond
For me it's not a long year watching a team get better. And this one will. Bet by the end of the season they are a pain for SEC teams to play.
Mikeyshooter
AG
The other night it seemed like we passed up a few open shots and ended up taking a bad shot.

Would also help for guys like Flagg or Mitchell to start playing better. Chuck looked ok the other night at least.
deh40
AG
PatAg said:

It was nice to see players moving around the court with a purpose for once. Not just pass the ball around the perimeter to other players not moving.
We definitely saw different things because that's all I saw was dribble or pass around the perimeter until the crowd started the 10 second countdown and we took a bad shot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.