Attendance thread

3,225 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bobinator
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tango_Mike
Bob - your call on this one. We have 2 rock solid attendance threads outside of this one
JJxvi
AG
Wait, we have an arbiter of threads!? I demand we put all texags basketball board participants on a bracket and have a new vote!
West Point Aggie
AG
Is that banner behind him gray or is it just super faded maroon?!?
Let’s Go Brandon!
JJxvi
AG
Pink and maroon are our colors
Tango_Mike
JJxvi said:

Wait, we have an arbiter of threads!? I demand we put all texags basketball board participants on a bracket and have a new vote!
Yeah, bob put the attendance threads line at 35. He's elevated to Grand Pooba, so I defer to his excellency

I'm against the bracket idea because I don't want to have to face my inevitable first round exit
JJxvi
AG
You elevate him to Grand Pooba, and very soon afterwards you'll have blood in the streets, riots at ticket pulls, screaming at people with bullhorns!
bobinator
AG
I am but the official scorekeeper. As a clan we must decide what counts and doesn't count.

On first glance this thread definitely counts. But is has a winky face... so it's maybe it's making fun of other attendance threads... but a thread making fun of attendance threads is still at its core an attendance thread...

mediate on this I must... counsel I must seek...
skaggsjw
AG
West Point Aggie
AG
Hey 1/4 of the yell practice crowd and Reed is a sellout! Will never happen but the potential is there!
Let’s Go Brandon!
FritoRay
So are the cheapest season tickets 250 a seat? What happen to the days of 100 dollar season tix?
Aggie09Derek
AG
They had $115 season tickets this year
Aggie09Derek
AG
Has their been much marketing around campus for this game? I'm really hoping the students surprise me and pack their big sections.
CDub06
AG
The place was pretty packed last night. Unfortunately, it was the first game for a lot of the students. And after that performance, I'm sure many are opting out of attending any future games.

Also, some people literally fell asleep in the upper section and event staff had to wake them up and send them home after the game ended.

Last night wasn't a great attempt at winning new fans.
JJxvi
AG
I was surprised not at the attendance but at the apparent lack of a solid core of, i dunno i guess "basketball culture" in the student section. It was very bland experience even when we were winning.
DeangeloVickers
AG
The biggest wet blanket in all of college basketball is yell leaders
Faustus
DeangeloVickers said:

The biggest wet blanket in all of college basketball is yell leaders

are
bobinator
AG
JJxvi said:

I was surprised not at the attendance but at the apparent lack of a solid core of, i dunno i guess "basketball culture" in the student section. It was very bland experience even when we were winning.
This is always going to be a problem when we're coming off of a bad year. You could tell by their wildcats that most of the students there were freshman and sophomores, and our crowds sucked last year.

This is part of why I like the yell leaders, we don't have a consistent enough basketball culture to rely on, say, the Reed Rowdies, to pass down traditions year to year. All it takes is basically two bad years for anything we've built up to completely evaporate and you basically have to start over.

At least with the yell leaders you get something.
JJxvi
AG
I agree with that, never had a problem with yell leaders for basketball. Its actually worse when they aren't there
DeangeloVickers
AG
Look at Arizona St, they have an amazing environment now from nothing...their student body had a group that stepped up and got creative. The curtain of distraction is terrific
Our baseball environment is terrific

Basketball can be the same, just anything besides yell leaders....yell leaders were at virtually every university in the nation long ago...there is a reason no one else has them anymore

bobinator
AG
Here's the thing, you can do both.

You can use the yell leaders to help spread awareness of the other things you want to do. Some of the best examples of our crowd doing stuff wouldn't have been possible, or at least would have been far more difficult, without the yell leaders.

The fact that our students are already programmed to look to a couple of specific people is a HUGE logistical help that it doesn't make any sense to just throw away.

You just need cooperation.

Sometimes there are obviously things that the Reed Rowdies want to do that the yell leaders can't officially help lead (like chanting stupid every time PJ Tucker touched the ball, 'wal-mart' for Rico Gathers, etc) but if you make them aware of it ahead of time they'll at least step aside and not do yells over.

"Yell leaders are bad" is just insanely short-sighted, and I can say that as someone who used to post the same thing. I was in that camp also until I went through a couple of seasons in the leadership of the Rowdies where we worked with the yell leaders. We met several times leading up to the season and each side pitched ideas and we'd help them and they'd help us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.