How to watch SECN+ Games

22,885 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe we can sticky this for everyone? This changes a little bit year to year, but a bunch of our non-conference games are on 'SECN+' so I thought we could make a helpful guide like the baseball board has. (Shoutout to Aggieangler93 because I stole some of this from his post.)

For the sake of this guide, I'm going to use the term 'provider' to cover both traditional cable/satellite companies as well as streaming services. For this purpose, they are the same. Also, everything here that applies to the SEC Network also applies to the ACC Network

What is SECN+?

'SECN+' is just ESPN's indicator that this game is not available on the usual SEC Network. It's 'online only.' (more on that later).

We only have a handful of non-con basketball games on here, but the women's team has a lot of them and basically every baseball/softball game is on it as well as other sports, so if you don't know how to watch it already it's time to learn! You're missing out on a lot of A&M content.

How can I get it?

If you can watch the SEC Network, you probably already have it.

If you're on a phone, you can use your provider login in the ESPN App, and once logged in you should just be able to click 'watch' on the live games. (If you're on a computer, you can go to the ESPN website espn.com/watch.) Log in with whatever provider you use, and watch the games on there.

Is this different from ESPN+?

Yes. Very confusingly, ESPN's subscription service is called ESPN+. ESPN+ and SECN+ have nothing to do with each other.

That's dumb, but surely if I have ESPN+, I can also watch SECN+ right?

No. Even if you have ESPN+, you will still need a provider login to watch SECN+.

So the only way to watch SECN+ is with a provider? I can't just buy it directly?

Correct. (provided you live in the United States.)

So I've got it on my phone/computer/tablet, how do I get it on my TV?

With the above, you should now be able to watch all SECN+ games on your phone/computer/tablet whatever. So now let's go through getting that game onto the TV. Which of the following applies to you?

I have a 'smart TV' with built in casting

If you're logged into the ESPN App on your phone or tablet, or if you're on the website on your computer, and you see this logo, all you have to do is click it and select which TV you want to cast it to.

Once you do that, you should be good to go.

I have a Roku TV

Go to the Roku menu and you'll just need to add the ESPN channel. Open the ESPN channel, log in with your provider credentials, and then you'll be able to just sort through the list of live events and pick the one you want to watch. (Roku will usually display a web address and a code that you'll use to log in, so keep your phone by you for this process.)

My TV doesn't have built-in casting.

That's okay, in fact one of our TV's does have it built in but it kind of sucks so we go this route anyway.

You're going to need a streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. There are quite a few different ones to choose from. Here are some of the popular choices and what you'll need to do.

• Chromecast - A chromecast will basically turn your TV into a smart TV. It doesn't have its own remote or its own menu, you just click that logo up above if you want to cast what you're watching to the TV.
  • So what you'd do for SECN+ is make sure your TV input is on whatever HDMI input you plugged the Chromecast into, then get your phone/tablet and go to the ESPN app, find the game and hit watch and then hit that cast icon.

• Roku, AppleTV, Firestick - For these, you'll just need to add the ESPN app/channel (on AppleTV they call them apps, Roku calls them channels, but all the same thing.) You'll go to the ESPN app/channel, log in with your provider credentials, and then you'll be able to just sort through the list of live events and pick the one you want to watch.

I've never bought a streaming device, is there one that you recommend?

Having used Chromecast, Roku and AppleTV; I would recommend a Roku Streaming Stick+ for your first device. It has a remote which can be easier than using your phone, and it has a home menu which makes it easy to switch between services. (Netflix, ESPN, whatever.)

It's also significantly cheaper than an AppleTV.

I still have questions...

Then fire away on this thread. With the number of TVs, streaming services and devices every set up has some variables so if you're having trouble post on here and I, or I'm sure others, would love to help,
DeangeloVickers
AG
Also, you can go to Reed. I have two free tickets if anyone wants any
Method Man
Great work Bob
aggiejohn
AG
Well done, good Ag!
Know Your Enemy
AG
tl;dr
greg.w.h
AG
Sticky if possible.
monarch
S
611 is the SECN on Satellite; is 612 SECN+?
bobinator
AG
monarch said:

611 is the SECN on Satellite; is 612 SECN+?
I believe this would be the SECN Alternate. Sometimes when games run over time or there are schedule changes they'll bump things to the alternate.

Not the same thing. 'SECN+' is not a channel.
monarch
S
Poop
bobinator
AG
If you've got SECN on sattelite though then you've got SECN+, just takes a little more work to get it on your TV.

I should maybe note that the above is just the easiest/best way to do it.

You could always go old school and pull it up on a laptop and run an HDMI cord to your TV.
Pumpkinhead
AG
I live overseas. And have watched all my Aggie sports on WatcheSPN, CBS Sports Live, etc. for several years. I pay for a VPN service that makes my laptop look like being used in the U.S. then used my dad's cable account Who lives in Texas to log-in. There are a lot of ways to go, if you got internet, no matter where you live, it can be figured out.
dhan236
AG
Does anybody know if you stream AT&T Now whether the channel is available via the ESPN app?
greg.w.h
AG
dhan236 said:

Does anybody know if you stream AT&T Now whether the channel is available via the ESPN app?
I think so:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-mergers-att-tv-now-att-tv-logins-for-apps-like-espn-under-att-tv-once-again-causing-confusion/
BTHOB-98
So if you have HULU you are screwed.
dhan236
AG
Yeah I believe if you have att now you should be fine. The South Carolina game is on now on the SEC+ channel.
greg.w.h
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

Explain. Hulu Live TV in my area offers ESPN. My phone (iPhone) offers Hulu as a TV provider and ESPN uses that provider to authenticate me (I'm with Spectrum.)

Do you have Hulu TV Live? Can you try authenticating with Hulu as a provider? What happens?
bobinator
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

Hulu Live, DirectTV Now, YouTubeTV, Sling, etc all work the same as any other provider.

Like I said up top, if you can watch the SEC Network, you should be able to watch SECN+.
agtrevino07
AG
1. Go to https://www.espn.com/watch/
2. Select your cable or streaming service (e.g. I use YoutubeTV credentials)
3. Enter your credentials
4. Look for the game in the search bar
aggie_74
AG
Thanks.
fightintxaggie10
AG
I watched the game on my phone through the espn app.

I could of screen mirrored on my tv if I was home.
Baby Billy
AG
My provider is suddenlink. It keeps telling me "your cable subscription does not provide access to this service" even though I have ESPN and SEC Network on my tv.

I tried a friends Directv login (that I've never used before) to see if that would work, and it didn't even prompt me to login to directv. Just automatically "connected" like it already had a username and password (I've also never had directv). Then proceeds to give me the same message about not having access

From there, I clicked Dish, Cox, Specrum, etc go see if it would ask for credentials to these providers, and it did.

THEN, I got on my phone that was connected to my suddenlink WiFi and tried both the suddenlink and the directv logins, thinking that maybe it was something wrong with my laptop, same thing happened as I described above, no dice.

THEN, I disconnected from my WiFi and used my LTE Data, tried the Directv login again, and it started working perfectly.

It's almost like my suddenlink WiFi was blocking me from trying to log onto Directv, but not any of the other providers. And anyone who has used suddenlink knows that the customer service is the worst of any company in any industry in the entire world, so of course I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone all night.
Double Diamond
Crazy that this is still a thing. Was nothing on the SEC regular network.
bobinator
AG
Ive had to clear my internet cache before for it to work. Sometimes if it's being weird and you're on a computer a good trick is to try a different internet browser.
hwcdec
Just signed in HULU (live) account info on ESPN app ...no issues watching women vs USA now....wished I would have done this last night for the men's game.
waynoinfrisco
aggiejohn
AG
bump (and request to be stickied)
bobinator
AG
Ttt for tomorrow
Belton Ag
AG
bobinator said:

Ttt for tomorrow
What channel is SEN+ on Dish?
jja79
AG
It's not a channel. It's streaming.
Belton Ag
AG
jja79 said:

It's not a channel. It's streaming.
I guess my dumb humor fell flat.
Baby Billy
AG
bobinator said:

Ive had to clear my internet cache before for it to work. Sometimes if it's being weird and you're on a computer a good trick is to try a different internet browser.

Did a lot more digging online tonight and now I think it has something to do with my DNS blocking the IP address for directv and not allowing me to input my credentials. (I have no clue wtf I'm talking about here)

I connected my TV to my personal hotspot from my phone, then was able to login with directv through ESPN. From there, I switched back to my regular WiFi and now have the game up and running.

Big pain in the ass
jja79
AG
The looking glass got me.
bobinator
AG
Bump for tonight...
greg.w.h
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

bobinator said:

Did a lot more digging online tonight and now I think it has something to do with my DNS blocking the IP address for directv and not allowing me to input my credentials. (I have no clue wtf I'm talking about here)

I connected my TV to my personal hotspot from my phone, then was able to login with directv through ESPN. From there, I switched back to my regular WiFi and now have the game up and running.

Big pain in the ass
DNS often is provided by a local server on your router. It sources by default based on the DHCP request. But you can hard set DNS servers for it to use.

Similarly when the device provisions an IP via DHCP it usually gets DNS settings as well.

While administratively its a bit tricky, you can set either static DNS entries or both static IPs and static DNS. The latter avoids a DHCP request.

It's not my intent to tell you how, but to suggest something to test. I usually use either google or cloudflare DNS resolvers:

google: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
ipv6 and explanations here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS

cloudflare: 1.1.1.1 and I believe 1.0.0.1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1.1.1.1

So you can test at the closest device and see if it fixes. My AppleTV uses the cloudflare dns entries and I don't have problems ver often. I would never willingly use an ISP dns for reasons.
bobinator
AG
Bump for Sunday
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Go to 12thman.com - go to game schedule-hit on tv icon = game. Got the WBB game that way. Eezy-peezy !
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.