Preseason SEC Media Poll

5,760 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bobinator
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First Team All-SEC
Kerry Blackshear Florida
Anthony Edwards Georgia
Ashton Hagans Kentucky
Breein Tyree Ole Miss
Reggie Perry Mississippi State

Second Team All-SEC
Kira Lewis Jr. Alabama
Isaiah Joe Arkansas
Andrew Nembhard Florida
Tyrese Maxey Kentucky
EJ Montgomery Kentucky
Skylar Mays LSU
Lamont Turner Tennessee

SEC Player of the Year
Kerry Blackshear Florida

Predicted Order Of Finish
1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. LSU
4. Auburn
5. Tennessee
6. Alabama
7. Mississippi State
8. Ole Miss
9. Georgia
10. South Carolina
11. Arkansas
12. Texas A&M
13. Missouri
14. Vanderbilt
----

I'll go out on the limb now saying we won't finish 12th.
fortyseven
AG
bobinator said:

SEC Player of the Year
Kerry Blackshear Florida

greg.w.h
AG
When's tip-off??
Isaih Smollett
I have a feeling Flagg will be on an all sec team
Hop
Staff
AG
I assume that is a writer's poll...

I think it's asinine that they put a true freshman on the pre-season all-SEC team just because he was a highly rated recruit. The people who voted him have never seen him play a second collegiately...and most have never seen him play, period.
Hop
Staff
AG
Alabama No. 6?
bobinator
AG
I put media in the thread title Hop.

But that happens almost every year. Hell Ben Simmons and Julius Randle were preseason POY as freshmen.
bobinator
AG
Hop said:

Alabama No. 6?
A lot of people like Alabama this year. I'm not convinced though. Any time you have a coaching change there's going to be a lot of uncertainty.
CapCityAg89
AG
Side comment: how does Vandy suck so bad at hoops? They play in a joke of a gym, but besides that, they should be at least good.
bobinator
AG
They're basically hitting the reset button with Stackhouse so we'll see. They actually looked like they were maybe heading in a good direction with Drew early on and then the program absolutely imploded last year.
CapCityAg89
AG
I agree with all of that, but I meant more big picture. They're in a hoops area, recruit to a great academic school, are located in a fantastic, fun city (with a large, affluent minority population). They should be good to great every year, but in the SEC, they're a 500 team with 14 NCAAs in nearly 90 years. That makes no sense to me.
bobinator
AG
Is Nashville that great of a hoops city? Nashville is only about the size of El Paso, and demographically it's not like Memphis where there's a minority majority.

But for some reason a lot of the schools in cities kind of suck at basketball. Dallas hasn't put together a consistent program, Houston has only recently gotten good, Memphis, Tulane, etc, etc haven't been consistently good. Even looking at just power conference programs UCLA and USC have struggled lately, Northwestern has never been good...

I also don't think recruiting to a good school matters at all in college basketball. Most players don't think they're going to spend much time in college anyway.

I think if anything being in a city kind of works against you in college basketball. They don't have the focus of the town like they do in college towns, people have more options on where to spend their money, etc.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Bobinator, before you get on the 'We won't finish 12th bandwagon', apparently Josh Nebo has been out for several weeks now with an injury and Buzz makes it sounds like he may be out for a long time (even possibly season ending with Buzz's "if he will ever be able to play" comment).

No Nebo...that really really hurts - I guess that freshman reclassified Aku kid is now going to have to go right to the deep end of the pool. We are going to have pretty much zero post game offensively (and it wasn't like Nebo was a major threat offensively but at least he was an really athletic 5th year senior). I guess it will be interesting to watch how Buzz navigates this kind of roster but probably will also be pretty dicey. Nebo was arguably our second most important roster piece this season after Flagg.

CapCityAg89
AG
Well. That just sucks.
bobinator
AG
EXCELL said:

Gonna take maybe 3 years to reach respectability. The SEC, as a conference, has really improved and we've moved backwards. Lots of negative inertia there that will have to be overcome. Buzz has his work cut out for him. He will live or die based on near-term recruiting

We're going to be respectable this year.
DeangeloVickers
AG
We were 11th last year and only lose Chris Collins and Mekowulu (he is a loss) but we're going to a scheme for us.
IMO, 9th or 10th and NIT is expected and anything less would be disappointing
Know Your Enemy
AG
EXCELL said:

Gonna take maybe 3 years to reach respectability.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
EXCELL said:

Gonna take maybe 3 years to reach respectability.
This isn't football. You need like 3 players to completely change everything.
NumberEinAg
AG
I'm excited about Basketball Season. It's SO DAMN GOOD to have a Coach. We've got a chance. Let's do this!
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
EXCELL
Junker ... are you starting to feel the longer road to recovery yet?
EXCELL
Quote:

Ok. I'll take the hook.
Define respectability.
halfastros81
AG
I think the Ags will get better as the yr goes but # 12 doesn't seem ridiculous right now.

If the Ags manage 8-8 in conference that's a win imo. Will not be remotely close to easy.
greg.w.h
AG
I don't think it's fair to guess the end is like the beginning, but 9-9 likely is better than respectable based on the first four games. Could go as low as 6-12 which in my head means we are primarily beating teams we out-talent.

I expect to see meaningful improvement via coaching and game planning affecting win rate especially later. So there is potential upside. But the play against Troy revealed plenty of exploitable behavior to game plan against as well. So even when we out-talent we are at some risk of losing.
Wicked Good Ag
Four wins in conference is looking about right currently. Now I think we are going to improve but this team has so many issues offensively and who knows when players will be getting back into lineup
GE
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Four wins in conference is looking about right currently. Now I think we are going to improve but this team has so many issues offensively and who knows when players will be getting back into lineup
If the team plays like they have these first few games, I agree. I expect the team will be unrecognizable by the time conference play starts.
bobinator
AG
EXCELL said:

Quote:

Ok. I'll take the hook.
Define respectability.
Funny how you 'take the hook' a month after my original post now that our three best options at point guard are all sidelined.

But I still think we're going to be a respectable team. Respectable to me means you aren't an automatic win for anyone other than top ten teams and you beat some of the teams in the top third of the league.

No question though now that we need to get a lot better in a hurry.
DukeMu
We certainly don't even look middle of the pack so far.

lol @ Florida and Blackshear, though.

The conference is not very good. We're not very good - we might win a few, then.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Sadly looks pretty accurate

We can barely beat crappy Southland teams this year
PatAg
AG
The thing is when you get a proven coach like buzz in a situation like this you can almost guarantee that teams going to improve as the season goes on. I know we're not used to seeing that here lately but be ready for it to happen
MidTnAg
AG
Hop said:

I assume that is a writer's poll...

I think it's asinine that they put a true freshman on the pre-season all-SEC team just because he was a highly rated recruit. The people who voted him have never seen him play a second collegiately...and most have never seen him play, period.
It doesn't make any difference where they played last year or what team they played for. The voters just pick the players who they think will be the best this year.
MidTnAg
AG
I will be at my house we do not finished higher than 10th. We do not have the potential to do that. I'll bet my car we don't finish even 10th.
EXCELL
Quote:

Funny how you 'take the hook' a month after my original post now that our three best options at point guard are all sidelined.
Not funny at all. I asked you to define respectability. I didn't ask you or expect you to alter the definition based on changes to the roster.

You define respectability as what? I understand that loss of players can affect our ability to reach that level. I'm just trying to get you to nail down what you expect(ed) "respectability" is.
EXCELL
Quote:

This isn't football. You need like 3 players to completely change everything.
Wow. No kidding. I didn't know that.

Which 3 players coming in next year will make that happen? That would be year 2.

After you flail around looking for a reasonable expectation of who those guys are and how they are going to get here in year 2, you will realize that year 3 is not an unreasonable expectation.
joeagg321
AG
Quote:

I'll go out on the limb now saying we won't finish 12th.
Good call bob. They underestimated us and South Carolina in particular.
bobinator
AG
Might have nailed the All-SEC teams though. Blackshear won't be POY, but otherwise that's a pretty good job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.