New court at Reed Arena

9,366 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Callate Donnie
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't know why it has taken 10 years for people to realize that the block logo over the state outline is by far our best logo. I'd like to see it on a lot more merchandise.
agsalaska
AG
Court looks fantastic.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Broncos
Bump for gman.
gdjudge19
So I went to the exhibition volleyball game. The court is not maroon. It's plum. Other than the color being flat out wrong, the design ended up looking pretty great, but after spending however much money they did I would've thought it would've turned out better. I wish I would have taken photos of it. Seems the social media accounts of the vball/bball teams are avoiding posting photos that show the color of the court. If you look at the chairs at Reed that are pretty close to maroon, and then you look straight at the court, it's not even close.
greg.w.h
AG
This is KBTX's video of the actual floor and one still. The still highlights that the lighting is a cooler temp in the 6K aka "near daylight" range. Where you see the direct reflection off of the floor it definitely is overwhelming the paint which looks right in the video and photo with a blue color.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/sports/Texas-AM-unveils-new-court-design-at-Reed-Arena-545020571.html

Paints are subtractive but in my experience most maroons do have blue mixed in. But I don't see a lot of blue hue (or purple or plum) in the paint itself. So it might be the lighting adding a bit of higher temperature, bluer light.

I prefer warmer lights for indoors, but only incandescent faithfully replicate the 2700K look of the old Edison-style filament bulb directly. We have 2700K rated LED bulbs and most have a bluer hue and are inconsistent in color. Same for lower temp CFLs.

Not many pictures out there. Hope we can see more soon!!!
greg.w.h
AG
One warning: once you start noticing lighting temperature you see it and film/post-effects director of photography-style choices everywhere.
expresswrittenconsent
Its Artie Cox and Bobby McFerrin at it again. They've been trying to make the maroon more purple for years. Wait until you see the maroon (plum) and white basketball they've proposed to the SEC we use for all home games this year.
Dont worry, be happy my ass! This is not a laughing matter.
JJxvi
AG
Those sonsa*****es!!!
greg.w.h
AG
Express didn't get the "secret message":

ssolari94
BeeringAintEasy
peace
S
The new court design would be okay perhaps, without the lines in the T. It becomes a distraction and too busy. Why cannot Texas A&M just have something clean and sharp looking rather than this contrived idea of a bevel? Have no comment on the color as it does often change depending on lighting and also what it is on, (cloth, wood etc) Make it simple, use the same logo that is on the Helmets for football. That is universally recognized and thankfully has not been tampered with as of now.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

The new court design would be okay perhaps, without the lines in the T. It becomes a distraction and too busy. Why cannot Texas A&M just have something clean and sharp looking rather than this contrived idea of a bevel?
I don't think the bevel is "contrived." The anti-bevel movement seems contrived. Not everyone is going to like a particular logo, but its a "distraction" because folks have decided to make it one.
greg.w.h
AG
It's contrived in that it's recent and the arguments against it focus on an added feature that didn't exist until a branding effort.

The effort to reject it isn't contrived in the sense Texas A&M is tradition centric. Note the various other changes made that are also commented on or not:

Reduction of use of Texas Aggies: not well received
Removal of Old Sarge as an emblem: mentioned but not a ton of buzz about it.
Other distinguished mark-oriented changes such as aligning the 'A' and 'M' under the capital block T serifs: consistency probably helped so few complaints I've read.
The lack of a bevel on the football helmets: generally praised as traditional.

The use of the term "contrived" itself?

'contrived
/kntrvd/
adjective
deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
created or arranged in a way that seems artificial and unrealistic.
"the ending of the novel is too pat and contrived"
synonyms: forced, strained, studied, artificial, affected, put-on, pretended, false, feigned, manufactured, unnatural'
Callate Donnie
greg.w.h said:

This is the brand guide. But those colors are easier to keep consistent when printed on various paper stocks than getting cloth right.

Back in the day (I matriculated in the fall of '79) there was zero brand consistency. When schools began the push for registering their own marks was mostly when that started.

Note the RGB value of 500000 is pure, unsaturated RED (50 on a hexadecimal scale of 00 to FF is roughly 31.4% saturated red hence that dark hue.). There is no purple on screen.

Print processing uses CMYK four color and to achieve the same color and saturation it combines cyan (c), magenta (m), yellow (y), and black (k).

RGB works with light and is additive and FFFFFF is full intensity white because each color of each pixel (red, blue, green) is at full intensity. Blacks are much harder on a monitor because either the pixels leak backlight while printing a black ink can be fully saturated because it's a subtractive color palette. More color make it darker.

Also note the branding guidelines and licenses to use the marks are administered by the Office of Business Development. It's perfectly fine to contact them about licensed gear that you believe fails to follow the branding guide. Just keep in mind colors on cloth are much more difficult.

https://brandguide.tamu.edu/visual-style/brand-colors.html
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.