The biggest challenge for every new coach in college basketball

3,223 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Hop
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The biggest challenge for every new coach in college basketball

Quote:

Texas A&M Aggies: Buzz WIlliams

Biggest challenge: Patience. While Williams ultimately had success at Virginia Tech, it took until Year 3 to make the NCAA tournament. It might take some time with the Aggies as well. Not just because it's a rebuilding effort, but also because several SEC programs are hitting their stride or have more talent in the pipeline right now. Kentucky and Florida are mainstays; LSU, Auburn and Tennessee all had massive success the past couple of seasons; Alabama and Arkansas both hired new coaches; Ole Miss and Mississippi State are coming off NCAA tournament appearances. It will take time to move up the pecking order.

Early returns: It's not going to happen overnight in College Station -- but Williams' first recruiting class with the Aggies did. In mid-April, Texas A&M landed four players in one day: Cashius McNeilly is the nephew of assistant coach Jamie McNeilly, while Andre Gordon was a former Virginia Tech signee. Yavuz Gultekin and Quenton Jackson also pledged. Emanuel Miller committed a couple of weeks later. One negative was A&M losing out to Houston for Kansas transfer Quentin Grimes.
greg.w.h
AG
The first year the main thing to hope for is the players working well with the coaches and showing progress. Do that and the outyears becoming promising very fast.
Isaih Smollett
having a message board staff that's too timid to get its hands dirty and cover the team
bobinator
AG
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect us to be competitive this year.
gig them
AG
If we stay healthy, I'll be disappointed if we aren't a solid SEC squad.

If we don't stay healthy, all bets are off
expresswrittenconsent
greg.w.h said:

The first year the main thing to hope for is the players working well with the coaches and showing progress. Do that and the outyears becoming promising very fast.

That's a pretty big step down in expectations from your "we will make the dance" post last week. Did something happen? Is Savion OK?
halfastros81
AG
Imo, this team will be more competitive than last yr's team because the coaching will squeeze more out of the players. The program has overall equal or better players than the program had when BCG took over and the coaching approach between BCG and Buzz has more similarities than differences. At least that's my expectation. They may not be "Big Dance" quality but they will be more focused and there will be a lot more in-game adjustments.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect us to be competitive this year.

What does "be competitive" even mean?
Method Man
Over .500 in conference.
halfastros81
AG
My definition would be .500 or better in conference and a realistic threat to beat anyone at home but that's jmo man.

In other words... taken seriously by all.

That was not the case last yr.
bobinator
AG
Method Man said:

Over .500 in conference.
Yeah, or right at .500 maybe if the league is real good.

For me in college basketball 'competitive' means you're in the mix for a tournament spot in late February.
Method Man
Yeah. That's about it.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Method Man said:

Over .500 in conference.
Yeah, or right at .500 maybe if the league is real good.

For me in college basketball 'competitive' means you're in the mix for a tournament spot in late February.

You expect us to be over .500 this year?
bobinator
AG
I expect us to be at least pretty close to it, again depending on how some of these midpack teams in the league turn out.

10 of the 14 teams finished within a game of .500 or better last year.

I just don't buy the "there may not be marked improvement this year" talk that's been floated a bit. Buzz is a hell of a coach and Nebo, Flagg, Starks and Mitchell are all pretty good players.
MarcAg
AG
We can field a really good starting lineup. The depth is a little scary though and new faces are really going to have to step up.
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

I expect us to be at least pretty close to it, again depending on how some of these midpack teams in the league turn out.

I just don't buy the "there may not be marked improvement this year" talk that's been floated a bit. Buzz is a hell of a coach and Nebo, Flagg, Starks and Mitchell are all pretty good players.
I'm a big believer in the impact quality coaching can make
Double Diamond
I expect to watch better effort and an active head coach.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Performance will depend on the health of the four veterans that you mentioned. If Nebo or Flagg go down for an extended period, this team will struggle. Stay healthy, and this team will be in the hunt in the middle of the SEC standings.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.